+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: The Legend of Korra

The Legend of Korra

For fans of Avatar The Last Airbender the story continues on Nickelodeon with The Legend of Korra. Just finished its season 1 run. The entire story will be 26 episodes long with season 1 being 12 episodes long. I was dissappointed that this new series would be this short but the creators decided to not have any filler episodes and to just concentrate on the main storyline. Check your TV listings for episodes. The complete episode guide is up at TV.com - Free Full Episodes & Clips, Show Info and TV Listings Guide.

'Legend of Korra' Creators: 5 Things You Didn't Know About the New 'Avatar' (Guest Blog) - Hollywood Reporter

'Legend of Korra' Creators: 5 Things You Didn't Know About the New 'Avatar' (Guest Blog)
    Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko share behind-the-scenes details about their new animated show for Nickelodeon.
    3:58 PM PDT 4/13/2012 by Jethro Nededog

Fans of Avatar: The Last Airbender have been feverishly looking forward to this weekend: Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko continue the mythology of their Airbender series with Nickelodeonís The Legend of Korra, which premieres Saturday at 11 a.m.

The new series picks up 70 years after the events of The Last Airbender with 17-year-old Korra, a bender with just one more element to go before becoming a full Avatar. But, she lives in a time when her kind is under attack.

DiMartino and Konietzko give The Hollywood Reporterís readers a behind-the-scenes peek into creating Legend of Korra with a guest blog. Here are five things you didnít know about their new Nickelodeon series.

1. Making The Legend of Korra requires hundreds of artists in three different countries. In addition to the artists at the Nickelodeon Animation Studios in Burbank, Calif., we collaborated with Studio Mir in South Korea. They handled designing characters and backgrounds as well as all the animation and compositing for the first season. We also worked with a studio in India called Technicolor. It handled the CG vehicle models ó all the cars, airships, and other CG vehicles. But even though we use computers to help us make the show, all the animation of the characters and bending effects are still hand-drawn.

Legend of Korra Nickelodeon2. The character of Korra's polar bear-dog, Naga, was actually created ten years ago. When we were developing the original series back in 2002, Bryan had done a sketch of a bipedal polar bear-dog creature. We never found a place for it in Avatar: The Last Airbender. But when we came up with Korra's character, we wanted her to have an animal mode of transport and revisited that old drawing. The new model of Naga is modeled after our dogs, who are brothers.

3. Dee Bradley Baker is a voice acting virtuoso! Not only does he play Councilman Tarrlok in The Legend of Korra, he is also the voice of Naga, Pabu and Oogi. It's amazing to watch him work as he transitions between the human and animal realms. Dee also performed as Appa and Momo in the original series.

4. We had created the character of the next Avatar after Aang in late November of 2009, but we had a hard time settling on a name for her. And this proved to be a really tough one. We already had a certain sound to the Water Tribe names, like Katara and Sokka, lots of "a" and "k" sounds, but we just couldn't find something that we both agreed upon. Mike and I went on a landscape photography trip in February of 2010, right before we moved back into the Nickelodeon studios to begin working on the new series in earnest, and we still didn't have a name. We arrived at the eco-lodge where we would be taking the photo workshop all week, and the owner showed us inside and introduced us to his dog, Cora. My ears perked up and I immediately said to Mike, "That's the name!" Thankfully, Mike thought so too. It is nice and simple, has the benefit of being a "real world" name, and with a spelling tweak, Korra fits right in with our established Water Tribe culture.

5. The idea for Pro Bending developed even before we came up with the character of Korra. Between Avatar: The Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra, we had an idea for an Avatar story that took place prior to the Hundred Year War where the best of the world's benders of all four elements competed against each other in an arena setting. Once we got into developing the 1920s vibe of Republic City in Korra, that old idea resurfaced and evolved into Pro Bending, a boxing-like spectacle that would be the most popular sport of the era. Instead of having benders of individual elements versus each other, we thought having teams of water, earth, and fire would be a great way to illustrate that the United Republic is a melting pot compared to how divided the cultures were in Aang's time. And the sporting aspect provided us a way to evolve and modernize the styles of bending for some fun variations on the concept in this new series.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Re: The Legend of Korra

When season 1 ended I was disappointed because everything I had read said that the entire series would be told in 24 or 26 half hour episodes. What, that is way too short. However....

‘Legend of Korra’ Season 2 a go; Book 2 will be called ‘Spirit,’ reveals Comic-Con 2012 panel - Zap2it

"The Legend of Korra," the critically-acclaimed follow-up series to "Avatar: The Last Airbender" on Nickelodeon, has been picked up for a second season, reports EW. Season 1, Book 1 wrapped just a few weeks ago and the show was already lined up to return in 2013 with Season 1, Book 2.

Now the show is for sure going to return for Season 2, divided into two parts (Book 3 and Book 4). Creator Bryan Konietzko confirmed at Comic-Con 2012 that the four books will be split over 52 total episodes. Book 2 will be called "Spirit" and will take place six months after Book 1.

Additionally, the Comic-Con panel revealed that in Book 2, the show will visit the spirit world and there will be two "very special episodes" in the middle of the season that will explore the mythology of the spirits and the Avatar.
    Way to confuse viewers folks.

bryan konietzko

The Legend of Korra has been picked up for an additional 26 episodes, which will be split into Books 3 & 4! Mike and I had been hoping to announce this big news to the crowd at the Korra SDCC panel tomorrow morning, but the network put out a press release yesterday. And as we suspected, people are pretty confused, understandably so. Hopefully people are also excited.

I’m sure I’ll be trying to clear this up in posts for a long time to come, but I’ll lay it all out right now:

–Book 1 = 12 episodes

–Book 2 = 14 episodes

–Book 3 = 13 episodes

–Book 4 = 13 episodes

–TOTAL = 52 episodes

Why are the four books split up into those numbers of episodes, you might ask?

Initially, Nickelodeon picked up Korra as a 12-episode miniseries. Their idea was to do 12-episode arcs that were more standalone than the original Avatar series. Mike and I were cool with this idea, as we had originally wanted the seasons to be 12 episodes long instead of 20, and creatively we liked the idea of doing tighter story arcs.

The original plan was that if Nickelodeon wanted more episodes, they would order them 12 episodes at a time. But while we were in production on Book 1, Nickelodeon decided to change their season lengths from 20 episodes (like Avatar had) to the more standardized international length of 26 episodes. They liked how Book 1 was coming out and decided to round out the order to fit their new 26-episode mold, and we got a 14-episode pick-up, which became Book 2.

Then, the network wanted even more Korra, so they picked up another order of 26 episodes. Mike and I wanted to stick with the shorter “books,” so creatively we are splitting the second order of 26 into Books 3 & 4, 13 episodes each.

What makes this even more confusing is that the network considers each block of 26 episodes a “season,” which is another reason we try to stick to calling these Korra arcs “books.” So for the network’s purposes, Books 1 & 2 are Season 1, and Books 3 & 4 are Season 2.

When will Books 2, 3, and 4 come out?

Someday!

What will happen after Book 4?

Mike and I plan to wrap up the Korra storyline at that point with the close of Book 4. Then I plan to crawl into a dark cave and go into hibernation. And hopefully see my wife more often.

I hope that clears it up. SEE YOU IN SAN DIEGO! If you can’t make the panel and Nick booth signing tomorrow, we’ll be signing at the Dark Horse booth on Saturday, I *think* at 2:30 (but I’m not sure). If you are going to SDCC, please be safe! You probably already heard, but tragically a convention attendee died in an accident on Tuesday morning. Take care.
    AmyKay likes this.

I know I missed an ep or two, but I felt like it was a very short season...Ive been meaning to find out if it was even coming back, so thanks for saving me some work!
    "Love is not a fight, but it's something worth fighting for"- Warren Barfield

Quote Originally Posted by AmyKay View Post
    I know I missed an ep or two, but I felt like it was a very short season...Ive been meaning to find out if it was even coming back, so thanks for saving me some work!
    Not a problem. The show premiered last year in April so I was just doing a bit of checking to see when Book 2 was starting and I was very happy to see that the series would be longer than 26 episodes that was originally the case last year. 26 episodes just seemed too short to resolve the story arcs and to fully appreciate the world 70 yrs after Aang.

PS: Googling a show's wikipedia page is very helpful in getting info as to if it is canceled, continued or when it is airing.
    AmyKay likes this.

Re: Avatar: the Last Airbender

The second season of The Legend of Korra started on September 13, 2013. Check the Nicktoons TV schedule as they will repeat the airings. Currently the show is airing on Fridays, that may change. You can also watch the first two episodes of season 2 on the Nickelodeon website.

There is also a 3 episode mini series about Marko and Bolin as children.

Watched the season 2 premiere and it is starts 6 months after Korra the season 1 finale. The trailers and the second season soundtrack are very slow and funereal almost depressing and I wonder what that signals.

Thinking Korra's uncle may be on some kind of jehad. Religious crusades are always the bloodiest especially when they are against your own people.

I didn't watch it Bearcata but my daughter was so excited for the premiere of the second season. I was out and came home about two minutes into the show,. She asked me couldn't I have stayed out a half hour longer! I know she enjoyed it, and hopefully the season will be as good as you're both anticipating.

4 episodes into the new season or is it the 2nd part of the 1st season? Nevertheless I am liking that each episode starts out in sepia tones and with a voice over of an old time newscaster. Have seen part 1 and part 2 of Civil Wars where Korra's uncle, the Chief of the Northern Water Tribe has taken over the Southern Tribe and had her father arrested and tried for treason and thrown in jail. Korra is still very young and politically naive and very hot tempered and still a teen age girl who is still learning who she is and what her role as Avatar truly is. Part 2 of Civil Wars was written one of the series creators Michael Dante DiMartino and you can really tell by all the comic interludes; Bolan trying to breakup with girlfriend Eska, businessman Varrick hiding in the palytpus bear and pooping money and steering the ship...truly priceless moments. The parallel story of Tenzin, Kay and Bumi, Aangs adult children on vacation together and listening to their childhood stories rings so true that even as adults we still want our parents love and approval. So far the best balanced and richest of the episodes.

The Legend of Korra (Book 2) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Book Two: Spirits is the second season of the animated TV series The Legend of Korra by Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko. It is to consist of fourteen episodes ("chapters"). A sequel to The Legend of Korra: Book 1, it focuses more on spiritual concepts and themes. Ordered in early 2011, Book Two: Spirits began airing on Nickelodeon in the U.S. on September 13, 2013.[1]

While the premiere aired on Friday the series if being aired on Saturdays at 8:30 EDT on Nicktoons.
    Last edited by Bearcata; 09-29-2013 at 11:42 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast