+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: The Newsroom (HBO)

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Re: The Newsroom (HBO)

Well, Part 2 was certainly not boring. I loved every minute of the finale! I was amazed at the ending, so much so that I will be missing this show every Sunday for quite a while. I do kind of hope that next season begins post-trial, though.
    elleprn likes this.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

A little side note on Will's character; When they were casting for his role Jeff Daniels wasn't on the top of their list. They didn't think he could pull off being a real assh--e! He found this out and went into the read and brought on the assh--e the minute he entered the room. Bam! He got the part. I've always been a fan of his and I loved the ending. I just can't believe the season is over. It went by far to fast!
    redsox girl likes this.

FORT Fogey

I think I would have liked the ending for a series finale, but I was slightly dissapointed for a season finale. It all seemed a little too neat and tidy for me. There were some elements I did like - such as the response when Will was giving the "We are resigning not you" speech of "we learned it from you". But it seemed like every single "Will they or won't they" couple was settled to be happy and in love. I would have been more satisfied if Sloane had figured out the movie connection and done the book thing and kiss like she did, and it had been revealed that Will still HAD the ring and that he still love McKenzie, but not necessarily going so far as for them to be engaged. I want SOMETHING to wonder about for next season.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

I think Sorkin gave us what amounts to a series finale. Maybe that is because, while the show has been renewed, HBO is still in negotiations for the debut date of Season 3. Basically, no one knows when Season 3 can premiere because Sorkin has a contract with a major director for a screenplay and that contract predates his HBO contract. He needs to deliver on the screenplay before he delivers on Season 3. HBO knew that before signing.

I really hope he can do both in time for Summer 2014! But if he can't, he did leave us with a lot to think about. Not everyone had a love story ending. Maggie, for instance. She closes the episode with a click of the mouse - on a yellow INews alert, because she (like Jim) can't help herself. The silent shot of her and Lisa talking, both of them standing as erect as soldiers at attention got mine.

I love that Sloan may finally have a girlfriend (Taylor), forget the boyfriend. I loved Reese, too - that suit we love to hate took a giant step forward. I loved his mom at the engagement announcement. I don't read lips but I did catch the word "champagne" as she instructed him to get it sent down from the caterer upstairs. I loved her booted feet on the desk and her telling Charlie that counting their friends shouldn't take long. And the look on Charlie's face when Will made the announcement was priceless! "I'll be damned!"

I thought that Jim finding so much time to Skype on the stairs during the election coverage was implausible. But the fact that he was so concerned with Maggie's hairdo - while appearing to never shampoo his own - made me laugh. I guess it was their uncertainty of being employed the next day that galvanized him into mending his bridges with Lisa and Maggie?

The fact that Will had an epiphany - that he did not need to forgive Mac - impelled him at that moment to find her, and present that ring. Nothing at that moment was more important to him. There was nothing cute about, and it was authentically touching.

If I did not iterate it clearly before: I.LOVED.the.finale!!!
    Last edited by Poppy Fields; 09-18-2013 at 08:15 PM.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

FORT Fogey

I think that even without the screenplay Sorkin could not deliver a season 3 next summer. He's got to wait for more time to go by to give him more old news stories to rehash.

Well, there's good news and bad news:

Good news: HBO has renewed the show for a third season
    Bad news: it will be the final season

HBO to end 'The Newsroom' with 3rd season | Inside TV | EW.com
    redsox girl likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Well, there's good news and bad news:

Good news: HBO has renewed the show for a third season
    Bad news: it will be the final season

HBO to end 'The Newsroom' with 3rd season | Inside TV | EW.com
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOO!!! We love this show so much we keep rewatching the two seasons over and over again.
    Last edited by Critical; 01-15-2014 at 09:10 AM. Reason: fixed broken quote tags
    Punkin likes this.
    " I'm a Republican. I only seem liberal because I believe hurricanes are caused by high barometric pressure, not gay marriage."- Will Macavoy The Newsroom

Season 3 Premiers on Sunday November 9th!!!

The Official Website for the HBO Series The Newsroom
    Punkin likes this.
    KAREN

Tonight!!!!!
    Punkin likes this.
    KAREN

Is anyone watching the series finale? This is the best show out there.
    Happy with the storyline so far-although I cannot imagine the series being resolved in just 4 more episodes.
    I felt the character Neal deserved a big storyline and he's getting it , finally. I'm biased, he's my favorite character. HIs backstory, brief as it is, makes me care about him. He's not a college grad because he is the oldest and thus his primary job is to provide for his younger siblings, it's a cultural thing explained early on in the first season. He begins the series as the `tech' guy, in charge of not much more than updating Will's on-line page. Now, here he is, on the run after accidentally committing espionage. Unwilling to give up his source or kill the story. That's gutsy-we saw that same fire in him during the Spring Uprising and even during the more or less comedic Occupy Wall St arc.
    I do get a little annoyed with Sorkins rapid fire writing style because let's face it, no matter how quick a group of people are, exchanges of non stop quipping cannot be sustained. But, still I'll take it over the explicit laced dialogue that passes for conversation on other shows.

As always, Sam Waterston is a joy to experience.
    Last edited by redsox girl; 11-17-2014 at 03:26 AM.
    PGM35 likes this.
    " I'm a Republican. I only seem liberal because I believe hurricanes are caused by high barometric pressure, not gay marriage."- Will Macavoy The Newsroom

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast