+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: The Newsroom (HBO)

Re: The Newsroom (HBO)

Also, overall, I agreed with Wills `rant` that America isn't the greatest country. This wasn't an Unamerican rant, it was a plea and desire to become what the country is capable of being. This was a speech by someone who loves his country so much he`s no longer willing to stay silent(as he had up until that point) while we settle into mediocrity and for the most part dont even know it. The facts quoted are true, too. I also enjoyed how the story came full circle when the `sorority girl` applied for an internship and Will told her America can again be great `because of you.`
    " I have a simple outlook-leave every person I meet with a smile on their face."-Donny

Jim Halpert or Jim Harper? This Tumblr is excellent! Harper or Halpert?
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Holy Cow!!! I've been so wrapped up in Big Brother that I missed Newsroom coming back!!! (And in September Boardwalk Empire and Homeland will be back! Yay!) I just watched the new episode ad was reminded of how much I love this show. (I think of it as an inside look at MSNBC.) Great episode and episode two waiting for me. But first I'll go back to ON Demand and watch the last episode from last season because the story starts, it seems, with something that happened back then. As an MSNBC junkie, I just love this show!!!
    Last edited by Punkin; 07-24-2013 at 08:17 PM.

Sloan Sabbith That "payback" scene was excellent. I love her.

Did anyone else think what happened to Maggie was going to be WAY worse - in violence against her - than that little boy being killed? I thought sure it would turn out that she'd been gang raped or something.

The moment at the end of the show tonight with Will looking wordlessly into the camera = WOW. So powerful. I guess I didn't give Jeff Daniels very much credit for being a good dramatic actor before this show.
    buglover, PGM35 and Poppy Fields like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

Didn't Olivia Munn recently go through an issue where private pictures of her were released on line, and there was some question as to whether or not they were really her? I wondered as I was watching that whether or not the storyline came from real life, as Aaron Sorkin can sometimes do.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Critical
    Sloan Sabbith That "payback" scene was excellent. I love her.

Did anyone else think what happened to Maggie was going to be WAY worse - in violence against her - than that little boy being killed? I thought sure it would turn out that she'd been gang raped or something.

The moment at the end of the show tonight with Will looking wordlessly into the camera = WOW. So powerful. I guess I didn't give Jeff Daniels very much credit for being a good dramatic actor before this show.

I thought she was going to be kidnapped for ransom and mistreated. They set me up for that when, prior to leaving for Africa, Maggie told Mac that she understood the company would not set precedent by paying a ransom or rescuing her and that the Embassy and the Federal government would not intervene.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

I think the Maggie's storyline is absolutely shattering. The gunmen were aiming for Maggie, but because she picked up the child and slung him on her back he was murdered, instead. She didn't even realize he was dead. She was reading to him on the bus from their `favorite book' when she was shocked in realizing he was dead. Had they not bonded initially he would not have been in her room, under her bed. He would have already been on the bus. She thought she had saved him after all that panic of trying to get him out from under the bed. I find that devastating. The guilt must be destroying her. Like her partner, Gary Cooper said " I'm doing better...but unlike Maggie I don't have a dead child haunting me." I think this event is horrific on so many levels. I'm impressed Sorkin chose this less obvious, though equally devastating route to write about Maggie's trauma. If I recall, Maggie already had anxiety issues. so perhaps, that plays into her situation, as well.
    " I have a simple outlook-leave every person I meet with a smile on their face."-Donny

And in all the back stories it's showing her still with blond hair but when she is being interviewed by the lawyers, she's cut it. The guy at the orphanage tells Daniel (the kid) that blond hair is trouble. So that is probably why she cuts it and dyes it. I want to know where in the story line she does it - I mean, when - we are already at 9/11/12 - the Bengazhi story right? She still has her blond hair and the lawyer has just been hired and they have just retracted the story.

Quote Originally Posted by PGM35 View Post
    And in all the back stories it's showing her still with blond hair but when she is being interviewed by the lawyers, she's cut it. The guy at the orphanage tells Daniel (the kid) that blond hair is trouble. So that is probably why she cuts it and dyes it. I want to know where in the story line she does it - I mean, when - we are already at 9/11/12 - the Bengazhi story right? She still has her blond hair and the lawyer has just been hired and they have just retracted the story.
    This season is full of flashbacks and flash forwards. There isn't much chronology to the events we are watching. As you note, the only reference to time is in the stories being reported. I think Maggie chopping off her hair and dyeing the remaining bits red actually happens later in the story - a flash forward. Maybe she does it right before the depositions? This season we are watching her unravel while trying to stay whole. I imagine we will see just how deeply she's been traumatized over the next few episodes.

ETA: I think the lawyers were hired to defend the network against the wrongful termination action brought against them. The depositions would have occurred sometime after that, and we know Maggie's hair is red and short at that point. So, after 9/11/12.
    Last edited by Poppy Fields; 08-28-2013 at 09:05 PM.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

I found this episode as boring as any real life election coverage. They managed to sprinkle it with lots of interesting vignettes, but it does not seem possible to me that they could really occur at a netorwork on election night.

At least we know when Maggie cut her hair now.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast