+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: The Newsroom (HBO)

Re: The Newsroom (HBO)

I LOVED the whole Rudy reference. I am loving this show.
    The Buffalo Bills Will Win A Superbowl Someday!!!

God, I love Allison Pill. I've been a fan for a long time, but she's better on this show than even I thought she could be.

Nice little moment on the plane with Don and the pilots. BOO to Jim asking out whatsherface for real.

Jeff Daniels plays "baked" really well. He was hilarious! Charlie accusing Will of turning into Ted Baxter =
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

DAYUUUM! I want Will McAvoy moderating some political debates! That "rehearsal" was awesome! I loved how everyone stood together against that little pischer "Greg" Brady, even if it meant ACN losing the debate.

So happy to see Adam Arkin. Love him.

ETA: I never really had an opinion about Olivia Munn before this show, but I really like her as Sloan.
    Last edited by Critical; 08-19-2012 at 11:05 PM.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

FORT Fogey

I like her as Sloan, but have you seen here as Olivia Munn in some interviews? She was on Ellen not too long ago, and she was just ... odd. There's a part of me that everytime I see her on Newsroom, can't get the image of her giggling out of control begging Ellen t obe her best friend out of my head. But I do like the Sloan character! The show seems to be settling in to a little more focus on the personal stories of the characters, and out of re-living every major news event that happened a year ago. I hope that trend continues.

Wow what a really good, but incredibly frustrating hour! So Jim and Maggie STILL don't get together and now Sloan is in the mix for real with Don. AND Mackenzie still doesn't know what Will's voicemail really said

I loved Will getting smacked down by his nurse. She was awesome.

Maggie's rant at the SATC tour bus was hilarious and dead-on. You just knew Jim was on that bus. The chase and the kiss were swoon-worthy. I know they can't get those two together too soon, but it was so frustrating to see how much they love each other and yet, they're with other people. Obviously, Don has feelings for Sloan too.

Loved the finale. I also loved Maggie's rant. So true and so glad it was finally said about that show SATC. I also loved the moment with Jim and Maggie... I did not see the Sloan and Don thing coming. I love the realtionship between Will and Mackenzie.
    The Buffalo Bills Will Win A Superbowl Someday!!!

FORT Fogey

I haven't watched the finale yet, so who knows - maybe they already ruined this for me but ... I love the Will and McKenzie relationship, and I hope that they never give into temptation to get them back together as a couple. They both clearly care for each other, and have an attraction to each to other. But they seem to have a maturity to know that as much as they care for each other, they don't work well as a couple.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

I thought the finale was so great that I've watched it twice again on demand. The bluff with Leona was priceless. Ditto the SATC bus. The American Talibhan had me laughing aloud. But the very best moment was with Sorority Girl - greater fool wannabe: "What makes America the best country in the world?" "YOU do!"
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

As Sex in the City fans, my husband and I howled when Maggie got splashed by the bus. I've now decided Jeff Daniels is possibly one of (if not THE best) actor on TV, and Olivia Munn's Sloane is definitely the best Newsroom character. I was so glad the writers restrained themselves from reuniting Will & Mackenzie and keeping us waiting for a Jim & Maggie hookup. Hoping for more Jane Fonda in the future.

I love this show and can't wait for the next season. The writing is just... *kisses tips of fingers*
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

For all of the criticism thrown at the show, the writing and acting is still 120 percent better than everything else out there. I do find some of Sorkins romanticizing of the past cringe worthy - newsflash, people back in the 1960s for the most part blamed the poor for their own problems and cringed at Pres.Jophnsons `war on poverty.` We were scared of the unknown, just as we are now. However, the writing is so good and the actors so perfectly cast and so committed to their roles, it winds up b eing a tour de force. Of particular note to me is the deft work of the always astonishing Sam Watterson-he is glib yet also the soul of the show-he represents both the idealized and imperfect past in journalism how it is relevant in turning the tone of what currently passes for journalism. He is sly, wily and yes even compassionate. He really worked hard saving Sloane's job, despite previously firing her. I think the turning point in his decision to go to bat for her was the way she respectfully addressed him as Sir, despite their argument and despite the fact he had essentially fired her. Respect goes a long way with an old warhorse like Charlie.
    "Remember, sometimes your`buddy' isn't really your `buddy'." - Donny

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast