+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: The Newsroom (HBO)

Re: The Newsroom (HBO)

I was thinking the same thing about the music: "That is so Snuffy Walden!" -- thanks for checking.

I'm on the fence with this show -- I get what Sorkin wants it to be, I just don't know if he can pull it off. He wants to create an idealistic news organization to counter all the cynical and corruptible media out there, but at the same time, these people have to be taken seriously as a for-profit organization. If it gets so pie-in-the-sky that it's no longer believable, it will just fall apart. Maybe he should have done the opposite, and created a show set in post WW2-era journalism. Post-propaganda and pre-McCarthyism. The preachy messages might go down a little easier if they were hidden in past stories.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    I was thinking the same thing about the music: "That is so Snuffy Walden!" -- thanks for checking.

I'm on the fence with this show -- I get what Sorkin wants it to be, I just don't know if he can pull it off. He wants to create an idealistic news organization to counter all the cynical and corruptible media out there, but at the same time, these people have to be taken seriously as a for-profit organization. If it gets so pie-in-the-sky that it's no longer believable, it will just fall apart. Maybe he should have done the opposite, and created a show set in post WW2-era journalism. Post-propaganda and pre-McCarthyism. The preachy messages might go down a little easier if they were hidden in past stories.
    I'm a huge Snuffy Walden fan, so I watched the credits to see if it was his. It felt like an imitation of his music rather than the real thing.

Totally agree with your post. I can see what Sorkin is trying to do, but I don't know if he has the subtlety and finesse to pull it off.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Oh lawdy...a friend of mine posted this on Facebook. I watched in horror as it went on and on...

YouTube - Sorkinisms - A Supercut

Oh dear.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I know, right? It's like finding out there's no Santa Claus!

But then, Sorkin did some of his best work while hooked on drugs, so it makes sense that he'd re-use stuff later on and not remember...

Or remember and not care. That's probably closer to the truth. When you have writer's block, recycle!

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

I gave it a shot, but when the Jeff Daniel's character started ranting at the "sorority girl" and then goes into "we stood up for what was right...struck down laws against poor people...stood up for what was right" and I was put off. Glamorize the 50/60s? WTH? I know history and am an avid Mad Men fan, taking it for what it is. Someone in "2010" should know better. Oh, yeah, it was great when women, the GLBT community, and African Americans didn't have a voice. Let's rewind to that time. I cut it off.

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Ouch. So, how far in did you fall asleep? Did you at least make it past the opening credits?

For me, it was just okay. I guess I'm a bit of a cynic, but I found myself rolling my eyes a bit, especially at the opening credits. The music sounded so much like the WW music (although I checked and it wasn't composed by Snuffy Walden).

Like I said, I'm a fan of so many of the actors that unless it's a total train wreck, I'll keep watching. I get annoyed when showrunners use their series to blatantly push their political agenda, even when I agree with them. For instance, Harry's Law made me cringe. With this show, at least political discussion makes more sense than it did on HL.
    I was fine thru the opening where he "goes off" on the college student and all the way up to the return to work / staff gone / lunch with Sam Waterson / ex-gf coming in as EP / former assistant being promoted.... after that I was in and out and just couldn't keep my eyes open. I didn't find the show to be engaging in any way Maybe because I was tired. I will re-watch it on the DVR to give it more of a fair shot.

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl View Post
    I gave it a shot, but when the Jeff Daniel's character started ranting at the "sorority girl" and then goes into "we stood up for what was right...struck down laws against poor people...stood up for what was right" and I was put off. Glamorize the 50/60s? WTH? I know history and am an avid Mad Men fan, taking it for what it is. Someone in "2010" should know better. Oh, yeah, it was great when women, the GLBT community, and African Americans didn't have a voice. Let's rewind to that time. I cut it off.
    Actually, what was said was "we waged war against poverty, not poor people." I remember because I actually thought that line was pretty good Apparently with some of the writing I'm at a huge advantage having never seen any Sorkin shows...it's all new to me
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl View Post
    As a child of the 60's I would have to say that you are putting the era of Civil Rights and the women's liberation movements in the same social box as the 50's. It doesn't fit there. The late 60's, especially, was a time of great civil unrest/disobedience and public protest against the war in Viet Nam, against racism, and the inequality of women. It was actually a pretty scary time to be college. That is "history," too.

Post-Watergate, investigative journalists were folk heroes. The profession of journalism was respected in a way it is not now. News was not "entertainment" but information and the best of it was unbiased. I think that is Sorkin's message.
    Last edited by Poppy Fields; 06-27-2012 at 06:11 PM.
    Punkin and redsox girl like this.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast