+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: The Newsroom (HBO)

Re: The Newsroom (HBO)

Looking forward to this. Although politically, Aaron Sorkin is not on the same page with me, his writing is fantastic and I can see past that. Plus I love Jeff Daniels, loved him since Welcome Home Roxy Charmichael.
    PGM35 likes this.
    The Buffalo Bills Will Win A Superbowl Someday!!!

Well, I wasn't planning on watching - I haven't really watched any of Sorkin's shows, and it just didn't seem all that appealing - then I read an on-line article this afternoon that really piqued my interest. After going through the thread and reading the negative reviews posted, I'm almost embarrassed to admit....I really liked this show ! I thought it was funny, I enjoyed the characters and I liked how the show is set two years ago so the news they report on is real. I'm interested in seeing the relationships between the characters - both romantic and professional - develop. I may be biased because my politics are clearly right in line with Sorkin's, but I thought the show was well done. Personally, I found Will's speech in the beginning right on target and agreed 100% with everything he said. I'm sure at least the Huff Po critic will assume I was hit "over the head with each point," though I'm loathe to believe it was because Sorkin thinks I'm "just that stupid." I didn't find the first episode at all "plodding," so at least for now, I'll continue to watch. I haven't had the opportunity to base my opinion on the next three episodes, so we'll see how thing progress. But so far, so good !
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

I really enjoyed the premiere, too. It had my complete attention every second which is something I cannot always say about a show. The characters engaged me and I'm looking forward seeing where this goes. The hour flew by.

The pace of the show, and the almost unbelievably glib and witty dialogue reminded me a lot of West Wing.
    PGM35 likes this.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

I thought the premiere was great. I realize the HP reviewer watched 4 epis but frankly, I don't understand her criticisms. Yes, there were a couple preachy self-indulgent moments, but like Poppy I found it very witty and loved the fast pace. Great characters, particularly loved Sam Waterston. Jim & Maggie reminded me of the early Jim & Pam from The Office. Also found it neat that they are using actual old news stories. It was all good, and actually better than last night's True Blood epi.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

It wasn't just the HP reviewer who was so critical of the show. I enjoyed the premier so much, I've been looking around on line just to see what others are saying. It seems while the majority of critics may have panned the show, most of the viewers aren't agreeing with them! It's not the first time that's happened, and surely won't be the last, but considering the subject matter of the show, it's an interesting dichotemy between the journalistic reviewers and the viewing public. Just sayin'...
    Poppy Fields likes this.
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

I really enjoyed the show as well. I completely agree about the comparison of Jim and Pam and Jim and Maggie. Too cute. I cannot get enough of Jeff Daniels. He has aged very well.
    The Buffalo Bills Will Win A Superbowl Someday!!!

I liked it but didn't love it. I'll keep watching because I'm a fan of so many of the actors.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Katydyd View Post
    It wasn't just the HP reviewer who was so critical of the show. I enjoyed the premier so much, I've been looking around on line just to see what others are saying. It seems while the majority of critics may have panned the show, most of the viewers aren't agreeing with them! It's not the first time that's happened, and surely won't be the last, but considering the subject matter of the show, it's an interesting dichotemy between the journalistic reviewers and the viewing public. Just sayin'...
    Exacty, Katydyd! Sorkin and HBO have tread on a lot of journalistic toes with this production, and it's evident from the affronted tone of the critics' reviews. Despite that, over 2 million people tuned in and .5 million more watched its second airing Sunday. Not a great number for it, but a bigger number than Game of Thrones premiered with. HBO Go is also getting a lot of traffic with it, as in On Demand. I think it's going to do just fine if what follows is as well done as the first episode.

We watched it again last night and picked up on several thngs we missed upon viewing it the first time. That's usually a sign, to me, that the writing and acting are complex and deeply engaging. DH interrupted his viewing of the Phillies v. Pirates to watch a 2nd time, which rather amazed me. He never misses a Phillies game.

This morning he read the critics' preliminary reviews, gleefully pointing out that they obviously feel insulted by "We Just Decided." Poor them. Boo hoo.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

Just three words for how I felt about the premier... I. Fell. Asleep.

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlena_M View Post
    Just three words for how I felt about the premier... I. Fell. Asleep.
    Ouch. So, how far in did you fall asleep? Did you at least make it past the opening credits?

For me, it was just okay. I guess I'm a bit of a cynic, but I found myself rolling my eyes a bit, especially at the opening credits. The music sounded so much like the WW music (although I checked and it wasn't composed by Snuffy Walden).

Like I said, I'm a fan of so many of the actors that unless it's a total train wreck, I'll keep watching. I get annoyed when showrunners use their series to blatantly push their political agenda, even when I agree with them. For instance, Harry's Law made me cringe. With this show, at least political discussion makes more sense than it did on HL.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast