+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Bunheads (ABC Family)

Re: Bunheads (ABC Family)

Just finished watching episode 3 - "Inherit The Wind" and was so disgusted by Fanny's behavior and attitude and then add in the stupidity of the tow truck driver and sheriff that this show has been put on my "Don't Bother To Watch" List. It was not fun to watch, it was stupid, insipid and just plain dumb.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I didn't know this show existed until a few days ago, when they reran the first two episodes in the middle of the night.

God forgive me, I got hooked. Sutton Foster and Kelly Bishop? Sign me up. Yes it's cheesy and too whitebread/creampuff at times, but sometimes they manage to get some real emotional moments going. I haven't seen the third episode yet, I'm catching that tonight.

I'M SO ASHAMED!
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

OK, I'm already annoyed with the lack of common sense displayed for the sake of storytelling.

Hubbell's mom overreacting with the rusty tea kettle and toxic coffee mug, when Michelle obviously has no intention of kicking her out -- annoying. And the misunderstanding with Real Estate Lady being on the property -- easily explainable, but blown all out of proportion so that Michelle would use the Mustang. (Plus, Hubbell's mom should already know that Real Estate Lady would be the type to invite herself in and make a move, and also that news travels fast all over town -- why instantly blame Michelle?)

Which leads to the "private road" scene, which was the dumbest of all. Again, totally avoidable by merely pushing the car 10 feet, enabling the hick to tow it legally. Instead, it's a stereotypical hick cop scene, and then Michelle meets the mysterious Richest Man in the World. Sigh.

I had this same problem with the latter years of Desperate Housewives -- setups with simple resolutions take illogical turns and become forced, dumbed-down comedy bits. I want to keep liking this show, but I have this issue with having my intelligence insulted.
    Last edited by MFWalkoff; 06-27-2012 at 03:00 AM.
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Didn't enjoy this episode much either, but I will keep watching because I think it will get better.

I don't care about any of that - the implausibility factor, the silliness, whatever. I love Sutton Foster and Kelly Bishop. I'll be watching, no matter what! Plus, if Steven Eckholt is on as a regular cast member, I'll be extra happy!

The thing is, most TV shows require willing suspension of disbelief. Hell, most reality shows require that. If TV shows were like real life, not very many people would watch.

Anyway, I'm on board for as long as they air the show.
    Katydyd likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Yeah, I was being too nitpicky. Some days I get in a mood...

But it doesn't mean Amy Sherman shouldn't try harder!
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Hey, I feel like that after every episode of True Blood!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

We don't get it here but I saw it get trashed on The Soup and the little snippet made me sad for the possibilities with that cast.
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

I'm a single mom who works hard all day (except of course when I take a break to peep on FORT and make a post ) and deals with my fair share of difficult clients. I have a Master's in Social Work and consider myself at least fairly intelligent. When I finally get home and get the chance to turn on the TV, most of the time I'm not looking to be challenged, I'm looking for some mindless entertainment. And certainly when I turn on ABC Family, I'm not expecting serious, thought provoking programming (I do know where to find it when I want to though ). I'm enjoying this show, including last night's episode. I guess I wasn't assuming I'm supposed to take it seriously. I do agree, the whole private road thing was completely ridiculous and of course would never occur...but that's what made me laugh. The whole premise of the show is a bit whimsical and fantasy filled anyway, so it makes sense to me that the characters and some of the situations would be as well. MFW, I guess one person's "stereotypical hick cop scene" is another's "whimsical small town predicament" Maybe I should just be grateful that as with Sorkin and "The Newsroom," I've never really watched any ASP shows before either, so I have nothing to compare "Bunheads" to! Meantime, I'm going to continue spending an hour a week with the....colorful....characters in the town of Paradise.
    Florimel and GabbyG like this.
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

I LOVED the first episode, enjoyed parts of the second, and thought the third left a lot to be desired. I'm not as hooked as I originally thought I was.

+ Reply to Thread