+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Hatfields and McCoys Miniseries

FORT Fanatic

Re: Hatfields and McCoys Miniseries

I thoroughly enjoyed this series and am now looking for good books to read on the "real" story. Got any recommendations?

It was funny as my husband and I were watching the show he was siding with the Hatfields and I was siding with the McCoys. I can't even imagine what it was like to be a member of either family back then.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

I totally sided with the McCoys. I felt that they had sustained the majority of the losses, starting with the murder of Randolph Hatfield's brother Asa at the hands of Jim Vance, although it was not proven that Jim Vance did murder him. If you add up the loss of life on either side of the family, the McCoys lost so many. My goodness, the loss of one child is horrifying, let alone all the children they lost. That scene in the woods, where the 3 Mc Coy sons were tied to the tree and the guns go off.... they flash back to Mama McCoy. My word, can you imagine? A terribly violent miniseries but captured my interest and kept me riveted from start to finish. Will look for it at Emmy time.

I think if Devil Anse had "got rid" of Jim Vance right from the get go (as he mentioned to his wife upon hearing the news he was killed) and Phillip Kline had kept his prissy behind in Pikeville and not tried to scam the Hatfields out of timber rights, this whole thing would never have happened IMO.
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...usually on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that.

Quote Originally Posted by MiaT2 View Post
    I think if Devil Anse had "got rid" of Jim Vance right from the get go (as he mentioned to his wife upon hearing the news he was killed) and Phillip Kline had kept his prissy behind in Pikeville and not tried to scam the Hatfields out of timber rights, this whole thing would never have happened IMO.
    I think it's Wikipedia's version of the feud that makes it far less clear than the miniseries did that Jim Vance was the catalyst. So that may have been another liberty with the storyline.

FORT Fanatic

Another liberty for the movie was exactly the amount of involvement of Perry Kline. According to wikipedia, Mr. Kline was married w/5 children and never inquired about marrying Roseanna. Also, he didn't become involved until much later; therefore, he was hardly the busy body that he appeared to be in the movie.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567