+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Hatfields and McCoys Miniseries

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: Hatfields and McCoys Miniseries

A friend of mine, in Kentucky, told me that there was a young man (in his 20s),
    by the last name of Hatfield, in their obituary notices yesterday. How interesting and coincidental?! No details, however some people believe that there are NO coincidences.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

I'm loving this miniseries! I love history, so I was excited about it, and it has lived up to my expectations. We dvr'd the whole series so we can watch as we want. We watched the first one tonight and I am dreading the outcome of the young couple - the Romeo and Juliet!

Bravo! (And Geico must be very happy, LOL)
    fan*addict likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ButterflyFaery View Post
    I have really enjoyed this never thought I would
    I second that!...The premise was certainly not something I would have originally watched, (war/killing/"mini-series") however the fact that there were some "powerful" names associated with this "project" my curiosity was peaked. (I adore Kevin Costner and Powers Booth always gives such powerful performances)

I cannot remember the last time we were glued to the TV for 3 consecutive nights...the story was compelling and we actually gasped outloud several times.

What great cinematography and depth of story line that drew you into the families and the consequences of action and re-action...

This mini-series has blown me away with it's story-telling. It has been hard to watch at times (sort of like when you watch Titanic - you know what the end result is) and I was particularly sensitive whenever children were killed. But it is a story that is worth telling - an example of what war really does to people on a microcosmic scale.

Quite frankly, I feel that beyond Randall's inability to forgive Anse for deserting, the extended family members were the ones that truly started and incited the whole thing. The true villians IMO were Uncle Jim Vance and the lawyer cousin Phillip Kline. Jim Vance was excessively violent, killed just to kill and spun events to fit his actions. Two of his most heinous actions were killing Randall's brother (one of the true starts of the feud to me) and disobeying Devil Anse's orders on the mission to get Randall but escalating the attack on their home by burning them out and shooting his last remaining son. Philip Kline was serving his own ends when he counseled Randall about not reconciling with Devil Anse. He was just peeved that he got busted on that land use thing and turned Randall more against the Hatfields by intimating that the overtures of friendship were more than they were.

I hope this show gets some nominations during award season because it has really been powerful and thought-provoking.
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...usually on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that.

Quote Originally Posted by MiaT2 View Post
    This mini-series has blown me away with it's story-telling.
    And the writing and acting and scenery (Romania!!) and and !!
    The true villians IMO were Uncle Jim Vance and the lawyer cousin Phillip Kline.
    From another account I read some of what the mini-series attributed to Vance may just have been speculation, but I agree the miniseries put an overwhelming burden of the start and continuation of the feud on Vance. Yet the family was still defending him to the end!
    Philip Kline was serving his own ends when he counseled Randall about not reconciling with Devil Anse. He was just peeved that he got busted on that land use thing
    Had to laugh that the Hatfields produced an original grave stone as their proof. How often would you see that happen!
    I hope this show gets some nominations during award season because it has really been powerful and thought-provoking.
    Agree!

Quote Originally Posted by fan*addict View Post
    I second that!...The premise was certainly not something I would have originally watched, (war/killing/"mini-series") however the fact that there were some "powerful" names associated with this "project" my curiosity was peaked. (I adore Kevin Costner and Powers Booth always gives such powerful performances)

I cannot remember the last time we were glued to the TV for 3 consecutive nights...the story was compelling and we actually gasped outloud several times.

What great cinematography and depth of story line that drew you into the families and the consequences of action and re-action...
    when I wrote this I had no idea that my dads family that comes from Logan WVA where the Hatfields lived and where their cemetary is....that people in my dads family fought on the side of the Hatfields during this crapola...talk about blowing my mind ...I knew his family was from WVA and that there is still a lot of family there and after this mini series I called him to ask some questions and you know what I was told..that if I had bothered to go with him and my mom this past weekend to a family reunion I could have actually met some of the Hatfields...
    cantstopwatchin likes this.
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

This show is definitely deserving of several Emmy nominations. I usually avoid extremely violent shows, but this was true history with an excellent cast and I found it gripping. What amazed me was that the two families actually signed a document that formally ended the feud and it took until 2003 for that to happen. Just fascinating.
    fan*addict and Eastcoastmom like this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

The third and final installment of the History Channel miniseries "Hatfields & McCoys" shattered another ratings record Wednesday night, becoming the most-watched non-sports telecast on ad-supported cable -- a record that the miniseries broke with its maiden installment on Monday.
    Wow!
    Ratings: History's 'Hatfields & McCoys' Breaks Its Own Record - Yahoo! TV

if you go to a search engine and type in Johnse Hatfield you will probably find the article I found yesterday...it was written by a relative of the family one who is decended from Anse Hatfield and he wrote about a lot of info on the reality of the situation between Johnse and Rosanna...if the stories he has been told by his family are true at all it wasn't the big love story movies and this series made it out to be
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast