+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Hatfields and McCoys Miniseries

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: Hatfields and McCoys Miniseries

Quote Originally Posted by cantstopwatchin View Post
    We're going to watch it but I'm on the fence - I know the story but don't like movies/shows with so much violence when it's not a war or something like that (if that makes sense).
    But it IS war, just not by the way we usually think of war. Watched the first episode tonight. Had to use closed captions throughout the whole thing. Easier to understand the second time around.

Should be easier tomorrow, I hope, but that's what closed caption is for!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    But it IS war, just not by the way we usually think of war. Watched the first episode tonight. Had to use closed captions throughout the whole thing. Easier to understand the second time around.

Why was that? I forgot to set my DVR, but looks like I can catch a repeat.

Because of the strong accents! I have a friend who talks like them and, sometimes, it is hard to decipher what he is saying! He was raised in Appalachia.

This is also worth watching because it IS historical. Teachers never made anything in history this interesting!

I even met a Hatfield about 20-25 years ago. He was ready to fight at the drop of a hat!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

It is on my DVR and I will watch on a rainy Sunday or when nothing else calls to me. I am looking forward to it. I know very little of the story.

We watched last night and were completely riveted throughout. It was interesting and intense. I had no trouble understanding what was being said. So far the cinematography and cast are excellent (and this may be some of Costner's best work in a while)
    captain, Florimel and momrek06 like this.
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...usually on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that.

Quote Originally Posted by MiaT2 View Post
    We watched last night and were completely riveted throughout. It was interesting and intense. I had no trouble understanding what was being said. So far the cinematography and cast are excellent (and this may be some of Costner's best work in a while)
    DH & I LOVED IT!!! GREAT SHOW!!! We did use the captions just to keep straight who was a Hatfield and who was a McCoy AND exactly what they were all saying! Great acting. Looking forward to tonight!
    KAREN

Quote Originally Posted by momrek06 View Post
    DH & I LOVED IT!!! GREAT SHOW!!! We did use the captions just to keep straight who was a Hatfield and who was a McCoy AND exactly what they were all saying! Great acting. Looking forward to tonight!
    I have recorded it. That's a good idea to keep the caption on!
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

When I watched the show the first time and had to turn on the closed captions, I thought about the nuns who taught me in school....one was always fond of saying somebody was "grumbling in their beard" when she found something mumbly; of course she'd snarl it out! I thought that was a perfect description of the guys and their gross-looking beards! This had to be exactly what she meant!

I am so glad others have gotten benefit from turning on their captions. MiaT had me starting to doubt my hearing! I'm too young for an "ear trumpet"!

Seriously - coming off watching the recent True Grit, all these guys in H&M had the elocution of a Shakespearean thespian!

I do get the beard comment though - goes to show that seeing a person's mouth move can help understand what they are saying.
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...usually on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post

This! Yes! I was thinking in my not so advanced age that my hearing was going. I could understand maybe 1/4 of what they were saying as there seemed to be a lot of mumbling going on. I didn't catch it until the encore 11 pm viewing. Tonight I will definitely use the closed captioning.

Who is the actor portraying Judge Hatfield? He looks so familiar but I cant place him. Other than Costner and Bill Paxton, the only other names I recognized were the wonderful Mare Winningham as Mc Coy's wife. I really enjoyed episode one, at least from what I could hear of it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast