+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Fall 2012/Spring 2013 New Tv Schedule

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Re: Fall 2012/Spring 2013 New Tv Schedule

Don't know anything about the unions elsewhere, but I know that many UK, AUS and CAN actors get visas to work in the entertainment industry here in the US. That doesn't happen, except under extraordinary circumstances, in the UK. (unless things have changed in recent years) Are there many Americans working in television in Canada?
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Lord no, I don't think there's any to speak of...an American actor's exposure would be really limited just working in Canadian TV. Most Canadians who have had big success in the U.S. are the ones that have relocated there. There are plenty of American athletes who play for our Canadian Football League and in our NHL teams, but to the best of my knowledge that doesn't hold true for actors. Musicians are different, I guess because people can access such a variety of artists through satellite radio and the internet. Music has become border-free - which is awesome, IMO.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David View Post
    I think Elementary looks like a disaster in the making. Not in small part due to my love of the BBC Sherlock series. However, beyond that...

One of my pet peeves is English and Australian actors coming to the US and taking jobs from Americans by playing Americans on TV and in Movies. Now we have a television show with an American actor doing a woefully inadequate job of playing a Brit.
    Well don't all the talking heads on the news and the Republicans always sprout free enterprise and no government regulations and competition just makes a better product. The Canadians and Australians are just going where the jobs are and they get the jobs because they are better than the other folks who auditioned for that particular job. That and it seems to me most kids in America that want to be actors really want to be actors to be famous and not necessarily to act. Just saying.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I'd rather have the best person for the job get the role. I don't care what nationality they are.

The American TV and film businesses churn out more product than any other country. It's natural that actors from other countries would want to come here.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Well don't all the talking heads on the news and the Republicans always sprout free enterprise and no government regulations and competition just makes a better product.
    In as much as I'm neither a talking head nor a Republican I'm not beholding to that point of view. Regardless, the issue, as I see it, is one of Free Trade. A position favored by Democrats. I would have no problem issuing visas to UK and other country's actors if the other countries would reciprocate. Unfortunately, it's not a two way street with the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I'd rather have the best person for the job get the role. I don't care what nationality they are.
    We'll just have to disagree on this one. I do not make the assumption that American actors aren't capable of doing the job as well as an English actor. In a country that has produced the likes of Meryl Streep, Johnny Depp, Katharine Hepburn, Sean Penn, Glenn Close, Robert De Niro, Julianne Moore, Leonardo DiCaprio, Natalie Portman, Marlon Brando, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc... I find it hard to believe we can't find American actors that can compete with any foreign actor. PARTICULARLY, when the actor from a different country is called upon to play an American with an American accent.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David View Post
    We'll just have to disagree on this one. I do not make the assumption that American actors aren't capable of doing the job as well as an English actor. In a country that has produced the likes of Meryl Streep, Johnny Depp, Katharine Hepburn, Sean Penn, Glenn Close, Robert De Niro, Julianne Moore, Leonardo DiCaprio, Natalie Portman, Marlon Brando, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc... I find it hard to believe we can't find American actors that can compete with any foreign actor. PARTICULARLY, when the actor from a different country is called upon to play an American with an American accent.
    I think there are plenty of roles to go around. I could counter with a similar list of superior British actors (and I really think Natalie Portman sticks out like a bad acting sore thumb on that list....). The point is that there is no affirmative action in the arts and I'm glad. It's the ARTS. I'd rather see someone who's the best person for the role and I don't agree that it should always be an American. I don't care where they were born. If the British actor can play the part better OR the producers of the project - who are paying for the project - think they are the best person, that's good enough for me.

I only care about the British accent/American accent thing if it makes no difference to the role. House didn't need to have an American accent. Dominic West obviously couldn't play a Baltimore cop on The Wire with a British accent. Same with Idris Elba as Stringer Bell on the same show, and I can't imagine anyone else playing those characters. Damian Lewis on Homeland? I can't see any other actor playing that part. I don't care where he was born. No one BUT Charlie Hunnam could ever play Jax on Sons of Anarchy.

My only beef with Elementary is that the show itself is unnecessary. It just smacks of the stereotypical band-wagon producing that American networks do to ride on the coat tails of a superior British show's success. The only thing that could make that show worse is if they cast an American as Sherlock Holmes...or, rather, had an actor portray him with an American accent. If they HAD to make that show, I'm glad they hired Jonny Lee Miller. I love him and think he's very talented. I just don't think the show is necessary AND it looks like an absolute train wreck, especially in comparison to Sherlock.
    Coco46 likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I think there are plenty of roles to go around. I could counter with a similar list of superior British actors (and I really think Natalie Portman sticks out like a bad acting sore thumb on that list....). The point is that there is no affirmative action in the arts and I'm glad.
    I think you will have a difficult time finding American actors (even ONE American actor) that will agree that there are plenty of parts to go around. The adjective 'starving' as it appears before the noun artist, in many cases, is not mere hyperbole. Acting classes across the country have a surplus of excellent actors who will never reach their potential even if EVERY part were reserved for American actors. I stress the word 'every' because my original complaint only included foreign actors portraying Americans in American productions.

It can only be affirmative action if there are no other qualified individuals to perform the job. Which brings us back to my last post where I disagree that there are no Americans capable of performing as well as someone from a foreign country. William H Macy, Jon Hamm, Brian Cranston, et al do remarkable jobs with their characters, and are lucky they weren't beaten out of their jobs by an actor from the UK, AUS or CAN. However, I know many other equally talented actors who can't make the same claim.

I totally agree with Critical. It went to a British actress and who could image anyone other than Vivienne Leigh playing that role?Many actresses competed for the role of Scarlett O'Hara. Marlon Brando played a German in The Young Lions. How many American actors have played Italians and vice versa? Anthony Quinn, a Mexican, brilliantly played a Greek in Zorba the Greek, not to mention practically every nationality I can think of.

Critical, I'm not sure what you were saying about Natalie Portman. I think she's a good actress, but in any case, she's Israeli and American, not British.

I've been a local theater actress, nationality is the last thing I thought about when I auditioned for a role.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    Marlon Brando played a German in The Young Lions. How many American actors have played Italians and vice versa? Anthony Quinn, a Mexican, brilliantly played a Greek in Zorba the Greek, not to mention practically every nationality I can think of.
    My point is, how many Americans have you seen portray an Italian in an Italian production, or a Greek in a Grecian production, or a German in a German production, or a Brit in an English production? There's no parity! Americans regularly lose jobs to citizens of other countries while, with rare exception, other countries protect their jobs from Americans.

I also would like to point out that your examples are outdated. Not only are they examples of Americans working in American productions, but can you imagine the brouhaha if a white man today were made up to portray a Native American, or any other ethnic group for that matter?

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    I totally agree with Critical. It went to a British actress and who could image anyone other than Vivienne Leigh playing that role?Many actresses competed for the role of Scarlett O'Hara. Marlon Brando played a German in The Young Lions. How many American actors have played Italians and vice versa? Anthony Quinn, a Mexican, brilliantly played a Greek in Zorba the Greek, not to mention practically every nationality I can think of.

Critical, I'm not sure what you were saying about Natalie Portman. I think she's a good actress, but in any case, she's Israeli and American, not British.

I've been a local theater actress, nationality is the last thing I thought about when I auditioned for a role.
    David included her on his list of the best American actors and I disagreed. I think she's a terrible over-actor. I know lots of people like her. I just don't.

The American film industry is the dominant one and the one that most actors aspire to be a part of, so the argument about parity in hiring in other countries isn't really applicable. There are British actors who work in the French and Italian film industries - I'm thinking of Kristin Scott Thomas and Tilda Swinton specifically. They've both been in French and Italian productions that I enjoyed. Heck, Clint Eastwood is a nice example of an American who got his major break in Italian spaghetti westerns.

It all boils down to the fact that I don't care about the nationality of the actor playing the role, as long as they do a great job. There are always going to be "starving" actors. It doesn't follow that they all have the talent to be successful. Most successful actors would argue that a lot of their success is luck and being in the right place at the right time, but I'd argue that a lot of it also has to do with talent. I simply don't agree that the best person to play a role is always an American.

Regardless, we've gone WAY off topic in this thread, so let's all get back on topic

+ Reply to Thread