+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 192
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Fall 2012/Spring 2013 New Tv Schedule

  1. #101
    Read The Clue Bearcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Edge of the Beltway
    Posts
    16,393

    Re: Fall 2012/Spring 2013 New Tv Schedule

    Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    I watched the pilot episode of Revolution last night On Demand and quite liked it. The pilot drew me in and I think it shows promise. I hadn't realized that Giancarlo Espositp was one of the stars, which for me is a definite plus.

    It had a definite J.J. Abrams feel to is. Laughingly, I found myself wondering at the beginning of the show if
    Click to see Spoiler:
    the flight number of the airplane that fell out of the sky might have been 815.
    I am curious to see the pilot but my initial impression of the heroine is that she is whinny and way too trusting. Her character looks as if it is based on the Hunger Games heroine Katniss. If Katniss aimed a bow at me I would be afraid, if the Revolution heroine aimed a bow at me I would laugh. That being said why is the premise that electricity no longer works effects gunpowder? gunpowder, cannons and firearms existed for several hundred years before electricity and the electronics so why does it not exist now. The same can be said about steam power, wind power etc... gears, and other mechanisms. While I like the over all idea,humans are not stupid and incredibly adaptive and we had a working civilization before electricity so why does the power going out mean that nothing works?

    Oh, lets not go into the horrible sword fighting I saw. Amazing how everyone can find a sword and know how to use it? Dud, who made them? Blacksmiths. That's technology and it's not supposed to work. I see a lot of wrist action which is fine for a lighter weapon such as a foil but I see larger slashing weapons like the Romans used, and the actors only using their wrists? Speaks fake wood sword.

    I am on the fence as far as watching this show. The premise sounds good, JJ Abrams does deliver but will I spend the entire season hating it. On the other hand sometimes it is totally good fun to rip a show apart and I think this one might be it for me this season.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

  2. #102
    Go Teams! inthegarden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2,473

    Re: Fall 2012/Spring 2013 New Tv Schedule

    Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post

    I thought Animal Practice was just bad and dated. It felt like something from 20+ years ago. I like Justin Kirk a lot, but I don't think I like him enough to watch that stinker of a show.
    I watched the premiere after the Olympics and I thought it was horrible! Even the cute little monkey couldn't save it.

  3. #103
    FORT Fogey Florimel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    6,440

    Re: Fall 2012/Spring 2013 New Tv Schedule

    Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Saw The New Normal On Demand yesterday. Nice premise but where does it go. As for housewife NeNe her scenes felt a bit forced as we all know she is not a "real" actress she is a "reality" actress.
    Which is the main reason I won't be watching. It really upsets me when professional actors don't get roles that go to reality participants. I'll modify that stance a little for any reality show participant who has worked, studied, and tried for success before coming on a reality show, but there's a lot I need to see and none of the housewives meet that criterion for me. It's hard enough for real actors to get jobs.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

    http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

  4. #104
    FORT Fogey jadewarlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,203

    Re: Fall 2012/Spring 2013 New Tv Schedule

    Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    I am curious to see the pilot but my initial impression of the heroine is that she is whinny and way too trusting. Her character looks as if it is based on the Hunger Games heroine Katniss. If Katniss aimed a bow at me I would be afraid, if the Revolution heroine aimed a bow at me I would laugh. That being said why is the premise that electricity no longer works effects gunpowder? gunpowder, cannons and firearms existed for several hundred years before electricity and the electronics so why does it not exist now. The same can be said about steam power, wind power etc... gears, and other mechanisms. While I like the over all idea,humans are not stupid and incredibly adaptive and we had a working civilization before electricity so why does the power going out mean that nothing works?

    Oh, lets not go into the horrible sword fighting I saw. Amazing how everyone can find a sword and know how to use it? Dud, who made them? Blacksmiths. That's technology and it's not supposed to work. I see a lot of wrist action which is fine for a lighter weapon such as a foil but I see larger slashing weapons like the Romans used, and the actors only using their wrists? Speaks fake wood sword.

    I am on the fence as far as watching this show. The premise sounds good, JJ Abrams does deliver but will I spend the entire season hating it. On the other hand sometimes it is totally good fun to rip a show apart and I think this one might be it for me this season.
    The series is based (apparently very loosely) on a book series called Emberverse. In that series - EVERYTHING you list doesn't work as you mention save fire. But it's everything that has high energy to produce = and fire as is is low energy because it doesn't burn long.

    Problem is a fire as we use to heat a home is NOT as powerful as the fire needed to forge a sword. Therefore the swords would have to have already been made because the energy to stoke a fire that strong wouldn't happen now.

    And yes, a wider sword - a broadsword, is supposed to use TWO hands, not one.

    I'm interested in watching the show, but I have a feeling it's not going to last more than a season if they're lucky because they're already stretching some believability.

  5. #105
    Wait, what? ArchieComic Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    The Farm
    Posts
    4,791

    Re: Fall 2012/Spring 2013 New Tv Schedule

    My son and I watched the first episode of Revolution On Demand and weren't impressed. It's just too unbelievable, especially how
    Click to see Spoiler:
    in just 15 years everything is in such disrepair. And one person rising up and running things - no way. There would be way more competition in a place as large as the US. Nobody could get such a stronghold in just 15 years. And I'm prone to believe if ships can still sail (which hasn't been addressed yet) China or some other large power would have come to take us over.


    I really enjoyed The Event and Flash Forward and both were cancelled without even a wrap-up. If this one makes it a full season it will only be because of the JJ Abrams name, which after the way Lost ended no longer has any value to me. We decided after seeing the first episode that we could probably wait until the season finale episode (if it makes it that far) and won't have missed anything important at all.
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

  6. #106
    Read The Clue Bearcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Edge of the Beltway
    Posts
    16,393

    Re: Fall 2012/Spring 2013 New Tv Schedule

    Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    The series is based (apparently very loosely) on a book series called Emberverse. In that series - EVERYTHING you list doesn't work as you mention save fire. But it's everything that has high energy to produce = and fire as is is low energy because it doesn't burn long.

    Problem is a fire as we use to heat a home is NOT as powerful as the fire needed to forge a sword. Therefore the swords would have to have already been made because the energy to stoke a fire that strong wouldn't happen now.

    And yes, a wider sword - a broadsword, is supposed to use TWO hands, not one.


    I'm interested in watching the show, but I have a feeling it's not going to last more than a season if they're lucky because they're already stretching some believability.
    The swords I saw looked more like Roman Offensive Weapons: Gladius and Spatha, which are shorter and lighter than a broadsword and can be used with one hand.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

  7. #107
    Bitten Critical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Fangtasia - The Bar With Bite
    Age
    46
    Posts
    17,158

    Re: Fall 2012/Spring 2013 New Tv Schedule

    CNN's got a nice interactive schedule for the fall premiere dates:
    Fall TV premieres
    You can sort it by premiere date, day of the week, show name, air time and network
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

    I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

  8. #108
    FORT Fogey Florimel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    6,440

    Re: Fall 2012/Spring 2013 New Tv Schedule

    Realism and logic is not what I look for in fiction, especially fantasy fiction or science fiction. I look for characters I enjoy watching a story I like to follow. A good deal of what is real in our current world was considered to be unbelievable science fiction not so long ago. After all, as far as we know, vampires, werewolves and zombies are not real, nor is what we are seeing in shows like Grimm. I cherish truth and accuracy in domentaries, but good fictions takes me to the realms of imagination and possibilty and that's where I believe we find inspiration. But, that's just my perspective.
    Coco46 likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

    http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

  9. #109
    Read The Clue Bearcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Edge of the Beltway
    Posts
    16,393

    Re: Fall 2012/Spring 2013 New Tv Schedule

    Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    Realism and logic is not what I look for in fiction, especially fantasy fiction or science fiction. I look for characters I enjoy watching a story I like to follow. A good deal of what is real in our current world was considered to be unbelievable science fiction not so long ago. After all, as far as we know, vampires, werewolves and zombies are not real, nor is what we are seeing in shows like Grimm. I cherish truth and accuracy in domentaries, but good fictions takes me to the realms of imagination and possibilty and that's where I believe we find inspiration. But, that's just my perspective.
    My only problem with Revolution is the internal logic of the series. I will probably watch it but I have a problem with the heroine because she comes across dumb considering the circumstances and I hate dumb females that they put in lead roles. I won't have a problem with the show if the female lead was anything like lets say Parker from Leverage. Parker is entirely believable as far as being a survivor.

    I sometimes have to take a deep breath when ever I see Disney characters Once Upon A Time and just let it go and enjoy the show.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

  10. #110
    FORT Fogey Florimel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    6,440

    Re: Fall 2012/Spring 2013 New Tv Schedule

    Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    My only problem with Revolution is the internal logic of the series. I will probably watch it but I have a problem with the heroine because she comes across dumb considering the circumstances and I hate dumb females that they put in lead roles. I won't have a problem with the show if the female lead was anything like lets say Parker from Leverage. Parker is entirely believable as far as being a survivor.

    I sometimes have to take a deep breath when ever I see Disney characters Once Upon A Time and just let it go and enjoy the show.
    I see your point, Bearcata. What I hope is that the young female lead is venturing beyond her village for the first time and will grow up as she encounters more of the world. She is very young and just another stubborn teenager as the series starts.

    I absolutley agree about Parker. She's a wonderful character played by a very talented actress and a perfect example of a character who has grown.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

    http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.