+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 58 123456789101151 ... LastLast
Like Tree220Likes

Thread: Live! With Kelly & Michael

FORT Fogey

Live! With Kelly & Michael

I couldn't find another thread already started for this show, so I hope the mods forgive me if there IS one. Just want to say I feel really sad about what's happened to this show since Regis left. I like Kelly, but without Regis, it feels like the heart and soul of the show are gone. Kelly is funny and she can talk, but she can't carry the show well enough having to support this endless parade of guest co-hosts. I find it unsettling and rarely watch anymore. I remember Gelman saying they were going to take their time finding a new co-host, but this is getting ridiculous. I can't stand most of the guest co-hosts, and none of them have any of the nice chemistry Kelly had with Regis. The only guest co-host I liked at all was Neil Patrick Harris, and I don't know if he would want the gig, or if the producers want him. Michael Strahan (sp?) would be my second choice. However, both of them act like big kids, and Regis was just more grounding. I rarely watched the entire show even when Regis was on, due to time constraints, but I always enjoyed the host chat. I just don't think they could find anyone who is such a great story-teller with the breadth of life experience Regis has, but they need to hire someone sooner rather than later.
    Debb70 likes this.

Re: Live! With Kelly

And I can't stand Neil Patrick Harris and won't watch if he's on. I enjoy it the most when Mark is on. There's nothing for me like the chemistry they have together.
    MsDiva2007 likes this.

I rarely watch the show, but catch it when I can. I used to watch it quite a bit.

I just posted on The View thread today a little bit about Kelly Live. I was also saying that I don't understand why they have not gotten a replacement. Kelly cannot carry that show alone IMO. I have not been impressed with the guest co-hosts either. IMO letting so much time lapse since Regis left is not a good thing. I would think that the more time passes, the less attractive that position holds. Many of the people they had considered have now gotten their own tv shows. I always enjoyed seeing Andy Cohen and Anderson Cooper. I honestly can't think of who would really be the right fit. I like her husband, but I would like a co-host that is not so familiar with her.
    angelic_one2002 likes this.

FORT Fogey

I have been thinking about putting this show here since I had a lot to say about it.
    I am glad you did.
    I hate it without Regis'!! I would always watch the show while I read the paper and had my coffee. Even if I didn't have time for the whole show, I loved listening to Regis talk about what he did in NY the previous night.

I always thought that Regis was able to hold Kelly's babbling in....She has trouble telling a story without repeating herself as if she didn't want to give up the spotlight and she did talk too much about her kids ( shades of Kathy Lee).

Now that she is with her alternating male guest hosts, she talks way too much and seems flirtatious with the men. Her look is much more glamorous and even sexy.

I thought they should have changed the whole set up---get rid of those awful high chairs with couches , give her a female cohost and make it more of a mommy show since there is very little social talk like Regis did.
    AlwaysVeg likes this.

If Charlie Rose had not gone with the CBS Early Show, then I think he would have been a good replacement.

I think they messed around so long that all the good ones took other positions. It's quite unfortunate. I really wonder if they intend to move forward or are they ending the show.

Did anyone see the reason Regis left? I did and I wish I hadn't. If you are a big fan of his, don't read this. I'll put it in spoilers.

Click to see Spoiler:
    I thought Regis had just decided to retire, but I saw him admit to Katie Couric that it was a dispute over his salary. He said they didn't want to pay him what he thought he was worth. I also read what they were paying him and it was some obscene number. He was good, but not that good. It was in the high millions. In my wildest dream, I would never imagine that he could earn that much money per year. It really boggled my mind that he would leave his show over money, when you know he has enough money for he and his entire family to live VERY comfortably for the rest of their lives. It really turned me off. Here's link:

Regis Philbin Quit Over Pay Cut | TMZ.com
    Who knows, perhaps they will work out a deal and bring Regis back! LOL

The part that I saw was in the special parting show they did in which Katie Couric interviewed him. I'll see if I can find it.
    Last edited by Debb70; 04-18-2012 at 03:38 PM.

I only watch it when Josh Groban co-hosts( must be his hair )

I knew the reason Regis left Debb.
    Little Sew&Sew likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Fogey

I read that about Regis back....I don't know what he earned, but at his age, I think he also wanted to cut the hours ( as he was doing) and Disney used that as their excuse offer him less. I also wonder if they thought to make it a show appealing to a younger audience.....but that time frame lends itself to the retired people or non or night workers.
    The DJ week was just so silly and NOT fitting. The audience is not into that silly boy from Jersey Shore or Lindsey Lohan's former girlfriend.
    Debb70 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by nanarama View Post
    And I can't stand Neil Patrick Harris and won't watch if he's on. I enjoy it the most when Mark is on. There's nothing for me like the chemistry they have together.
    I don't see the show that often, but I like when Mark is on with her.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Kelly just loves the characters from Jersey Shore. I am not amused by them in the least bit. I never cared much for things like that, even when I was quite young. I find them gross and pathetic, not funny and entertaining.
    Coco46 likes this.

FORT Fogey

Anderson Cooper would have been a great co-host, as Debb70 said, but it's too late now (unless his show is going to be cancelled, and I haven't seen anything about that). I do enjoy occasionally seeing Mark Consuelos as the co-host, but not every day... too much talking about kids and their relationship stuff. Besides, if they start having marital problems, that could destroy the show! I knew Regis's leaving was due largely to a salary dispute, and even though he was already making an obscene amount of money, I can see why he would have been offended that they didn't want to offer him what he wanted. Matt Lauer just got a huge raise to stay on the Today Show. These major networks can cough up the money if they want to. I just enjoyed seeing Regis in the morning. He reminds me so much of my uncles from NYC, who have all passed on now, both in personality and looks. There was just something fun and reassuring about him. Kelly played off him in a way that is not possible with any guest co-host they've had, so the whole dynamic is changed and not for the better, in my opinion. The show is no longer my preferred way of starting the day. Some of the co-hosts try too hard or not enough, and are just slightly better than an empty chair!

I also think the producers sometimes ignore the demographic of who is watching this show, so Kelly needs a somewhat older co-host, and I agree that the DJ week was another foolish attempt to attract an audience that is just not going to be watching! Ditto the Jersey Shore dimwits.
    Last edited by AlwaysVeg; 04-18-2012 at 05:21 PM.
    Debb70 likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 58 123456789101151 ... LastLast