+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 58 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141555 ... LastLast
Like Tree220Likes

Thread: Live! With Kelly & Michael

Re: Live! With Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    No, because they work 14-16 hour days to produce SNL, and as head writer, he is there for most of it. I saw something a Biography on how they do the show one time. They write the entire show in one night (on Monday or Tuesday I think?) and the writers never go home. They stay about 30 hours straight.
    I don't think he could do it even if he was just a cast member on SNL, but as head writer? Never. That's beyond a full time job.

I hope Bryant Gumbel wouldn't be a serious choice. I haven't liked him since he was in LA news many moons ago. He's always struck me as both smug and smarmy. I think the co-host needs to have more of a sense of humor and be warmer. BG's kind of cold and humorless, IMO.

I think the right co-host could really bolster the show's ratings, but I think they have to NOT try to duplicate what Kelly had with Regis.
    Last edited by Critical; 04-20-2012 at 03:04 PM.
    nanarama and AlwaysVeg like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

I'd like Chevy Chase to do a couple of days as co-host and see how that goes. Martin Short wasn't bad when he was on. I think it depends what the producers want to go after in terms of a demographic. Younger co-host = younger audience (at least in their minds). Older co-host means staying with approximately the same demographic they have now. Kelly is sort of at the age now where it could go either way.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Martin Short, although I like him well enough, is too manic, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post
    Martin Short, although I like him well enough, is too manic, imo.
    I agree.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysVeg View Post
    I'd like Chevy Chase to do a couple of days as co-host and see how that goes. Martin Short wasn't bad when he was on. I think it depends what the producers want to go after in terms of a demographic. Younger co-host = younger audience (at least in their minds). Older co-host means staying with approximately the same demographic they have now. Kelly is sort of at the age now where it could go either way.
    If any of the rumors are true, Chevy Chase is a jerk. I don't think he'd do well in that format and I think he'd have a hard time pretending to care. I like Martin Short, but I can only take him in small doses, not every day.

To co-host a morning talk show, I think you have to either be a good schmoozer or be genuinely interested in people.....or both. I think if they find the right co-host for Kelly, it won't matter how old they are. If they're a good fit, people will tune in. The trick is, of course, finding that right person. You don't want someone too over-the-top, but if they're too bland, that's bad too.

I'll be interested to see who they finally choose, even if I don't watch the show very often.
    nanarama likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Critical, Chevy Chase IS and always has been a jerk. I won't say that everyone he's worked with couldn't stand him because there are always exception, but it's certainly true for most of his colleagues. None of the original SNL cast (those who are still with us) would come to his roast. I have yet to hear a good word about him other than that he does have talent, and I agree that he does.

I adore both Billy Crystal and Neil Patrick Harris, but I can't see either of them doing this on a permanent basis. They are both too busy with movies, tv, documentaries, etc. It did take a long time to find Cathy Lee's permanent replacement and I don't mind if it takes as much time to find one for Regis.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Kelly needs to be contained/restrained. They really need to revamp the show some to appeal to a broader audience. She is up against local shows in some areas. Being a local Chicago show is how Oprah got her biggest start and the replacement in that time slot is a Panel and I think it's doing pretty well.

She might do well with some Radio personalities, like Steve King & Johnnie Putnam ... a married couple ( older than Kelly) who were on WGN-AM Chicago "After Dark". They had a huge range of interests, and very broad appeal for the longest time. I think they, or someone like them would be just the thing.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Is anyone familiar with Joel McHale? He hosts The Soup, which is very funny IMO. He's also on a sitcom that I think may be getting cancelled. Community or something like that. I'm just trying to think of guys I consider funny, who are around Kelly's age.
    The Soup

FORT Fogey

Wasn't Joel McHale a guest co-host recently? I didn't care for him, wherever it was I saw him. I like Critical's description of the co-host needing to be a good schmoozer and/or genuinely interested in people. I just don't think they've had anyone guest hosting so far who fits that description. Do you all not like Michael Strahan as a possibility?

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

I think anyone I consider interesting enough to make me put up with Kelly's incessant babbling is already occupied with their own careers. I will continue to dvr when they have an interesting guest star, but short of them finding a gorgeous talented intelligent unknown, it won't be something I add to my viewing schedule.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

+ Reply to Thread