+ Reply to Thread
Page 38 of 58 FirstFirst ... 282930313233343536373839404142434445464748 ... LastLast
Like Tree220Likes

Thread: Live! With Kelly & Michael

FORT Fogey

Re: Live! With Kelly

If they wanted to maintain any ratings for this show, they should have offered Mark Consuelos more money than he and Kelly could ever turn down! How many people are going to tune in to see Michael Strahan with Kelly on a permanent basis? He's pleasant enough on the show, but he is just not a draw. Mark may not be super-famous, but at least it's fun to watch them interact and banter back and forth.

I don't think Mark cared about the money. They've both said that, if Mark was made the permanent co-host, their marriage might not survive. I think they care more about their marriage than the show.
    combatcutie and Florimel like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

In order for Kelly to keep her lucrative cushy gig, they might decide they wished they had given that more thought when the ratings start to drop after Stray-yawn has been there a little while. Kelly and Mark have a production company together, so apparently they have the ability to work together and stay married.

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysVeg View Post
    In order for Kelly to keep her lucrative cushy gig, they might decide they wished they had given that more thought when the ratings start to drop after Stray-yawn has been there a little while. Kelly and Mark have a production company together, so apparently they have the ability to work together and stay married.
    I think production company work is a lot different from being co-hosts of a talk show together. Plus, I think Mark wants to have career in front of the camera separate from anything Kelly does. She's obviously the bigger breadwinner in the house and doing more than occasionally filling in as co-host on the show is probably as much as he wants to do. When they met, she was the established cast member on AMC and he was a newbie.

Even if the show ends up getting canceled down the line, I think Kelly will be just fine.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

I agree Critical. Mark and Kelly have proven they can work together well, since that's how they met. But I think they are right that the dynamic of Live would cause strain on any marriage. Since the host chat requires hosts to share stories of their lives, I can see where it would become an "air our dirty laundry" session for a married couple. If Kelly was fed up because Mark wasn't helping enough with the kids at dinner time, she starts talking about it during host chat, frustrating Mark making him feel belittled. Or Kelly gets upset and overly emotional about something going on with one of their kids, Mark comments on it during host chat, and all the sudden Kelly is feeling belittled. Every once and a while, it's fun for the audience. Day after day, I think it would be a disaster. There's a reason why Regis never seriously considered Joy as a cohost when Kathie Lee left.
    Hyper likes this.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    I agree Critical. Mark and Kelly have proven they can work together well, since that's how they met. But I think they are right that the dynamic of Live would cause strain on any marriage. Since the host chat requires hosts to share stories of their lives, I can see where it would become an "air our dirty laundry" session for a married couple. If Kelly was fed up because Mark wasn't helping enough with the kids at dinner time, she starts talking about it during host chat, frustrating Mark making him feel belittled. Or Kelly gets upset and overly emotional about something going on with one of their kids, Mark comments on it during host chat, and all the sudden Kelly is feeling belittled. Every once and a while, it's fun for the audience. Day after day, I think it would be a disaster. There's a reason why Regis never seriously considered Joy as a cohost when Kathie Lee left.
    As much as I LOVE Mark Consuelos, and as much as I would have loved to have had him as Kelly's permanent co-host, I have to agree with you, Acooker. It's one thing to 'work with' your mate, but on this type of a show, in which you have daily chit-chat about what's going on in your own personal lives, Mark and Kelly's "he said/she said" (or "he did/she did") could be very risky for their marriage.

The decision to cast Michael Strahan is such a downer for me cause I used to really enjoy the show, and now, even before Strahan even has started, I can't even watch it any more. I'll tune in from time to time if Kelly has a great co-host or a guest I want to see -- but otherwise, like so many others, I won't be watching anymore. And it's really too bad, cause I'll really miss the show, but Strahan is such a turn-off, that it takes the enjoyment totally out of it.

Is it official? I didn't see the official announcement, but saw a little today and it was that McDonnell guy on there.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Is it official? I didn't see the official announcement, but saw a little today and it was that McDonnell guy on there.
    I happened to see the confirmation in USA Today when I was on vacation last week. So, it probably is true.

I'm not at all happy about Michael being the new cohost. As cute and charming as I think he can be, I just don't see him being "in charge" of the show should Kelly happen to take off a day or two. His interviewing skills aren't up to par, IMO. Can he learn to be a better host/interviewer? Probably. However, I don't have the patience for him to perfect the skill.

I don't think I'll tune in anymore. Too bad. Heck, I DVR too much tv anyway. heh

That said, I wasn't necessarily rooting for anbody in particular. Lachey, Meyers, Harrison, and Groban (although, he hasn't cohosted in ages!!) were my top picks. I think Anderson Cooper would have been perfect.
    Last edited by tinderbox; 08-28-2012 at 02:16 PM.

FORT Fogey

Anything you see all during August is a repeat. They are on vacation

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Not saying the spoilers don't exist, but the OFFICIAL word is supposed to come on Tuesday, September 4th.

Kelly is hosting alone on September 3rd. One of the guests that day is Phillip Phillips (American Idol winner). It's not enough to get me to watch as it's being shown, but I will dvr it so see the singing portion.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

+ Reply to Thread