+ Reply to Thread
Page 37 of 57 FirstFirst ... 272829303132333435363738394041424344454647 ... LastLast
Like Tree220Likes

Thread: Live! With Kelly & Michael

Re: Live! With Kelly

I don't understand the decision, unless, as some above have alluded to, they didn't want the job. I don't think it will work out well. I think the show will fizzle and be gone by next year at this time or completed redone with two totally different people.

I'd guess that at least a full third of the people who auditioned for that job would take it, if offered the chance. Kelly makes a huge amount of money doing that show - like $20M/year - so who wouldn't want to be her co-host, even if not at the same pay level? It's a cushy gig and it's not all that strenuous.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

I wonder though, of all the 59 people who did guest host, how many of them were even seriously considered (or considered guest hosting to be an audition). There were some, like Nick Lachey and Carson Kresley who said openly that they wanted the job. But for someone like a Bryant Gumbel or Joel McHale- were they guest hosting because they wanted the job? Or becuse they were asked and it was something fun to do for a few days? I do think there were some who seriously considered it and/or pursued it. Even though I never heard of him, I read that Pat Kiernan made it known publicly that he wanted the job. I also think that Seth Meyers was very tempted. But a few weeks ago, he signed a development deal for a sitcom with NBC, which Lorne Michaels is executive producing. So perhaps Lorne realized he would leave, and decideed to elevate him to that level he did with Tina Fey, Jimmy Fallon, and a few others where he takes them under his wing a little more in order to keep them on board. Money wise, maybe Seth could have made more, but if he was bored out of his mind, would the money matter? My guess is that of the 59 who guest hosted, they probably were really only working with a choice between 3-5 of them.

FORT Fogey

I have to confess I have not watched the show in forever since I'm typically at work when it airs, but who could miss all the drama surrounding Regis' replacement.
    I've never heard of Michael Strahan - I'm not a football person.
    Don't know how they'll blend together, but I do think that this choice will enable Kelly to be the top banana. I think she probably made that a big part of all the negotiations.
    AlwaysVeg likes this.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Fogey

I had never heard of Michael Strahan until he started guest co-hosting. Apparently he and Kelly are friends IRL, so all the more reason he won't try to steal her thunder ... not that I think he could, unlike Seth Myers and a couple of the others. That's what I said upthread ... that Kelly went from being a sidekick co-host for so long to becoming the main attraction when Regis left. There was no way she was going back to playing second fiddle.

FORT Fogey

I couldn't find a thread for Anderson Cooper's show and didn't want to start one just for this..... I thought it was funny that he is revamping his talk show to go live rather than taped and is calling it Anderson LIVE and will have rotating female co-hosts everyday rather than just the one day a week.

Just saying.....
    AlwaysVeg likes this.

FORT Fogey

Maybe he's setting it up so they can merge the two shows if Michael Strahan turns out to not be that great.
    ibot2much likes this.

FORT Fogey

I predict that Live with Kelly and Michael will not be on the air this time next year.
    ibot2much and Debb70 like this.

I don't use watch this show anymore but the couple of times I did Michael was the guest host. I didn't really care for it. I figured no big deal since it was just a guest spot but if he's full time I don't think I'll be tuning in. He just didn't interest me.

+ Reply to Thread