+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 58 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast
Like Tree220Likes

Thread: Live! With Kelly & Michael

FORT Fogey

Re: Live! With Kelly

I read an article this morning that said they want to name a new cohost in September. It also said they are down to 3contenders - Seth Meyers, Micahel Strahan, and Josh Groban. Seth is said to be the front runner by a lot. It speculated he could still do Weekend Update on SNL and would give up writing duties. Also said Kelly really wants Anderson Cooper but he's too busy with other shows.

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

SERIOUSLY doubt it would be Josh either. Rumor had it he moved to New York because of his desire to be on Broadway - not to sit next to Kelly. Yes, he does an excellent job of co-hosting, but - at least in my opinion - it would be a big step DOWN to leave his career as a singer to sit behind a desk for an hour a day.
    Florimel likes this.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

FORT Fogey

But he wouldn't have to leave it, would he? When Kelly first started with Regis she stayed on All My Children for a bit. She also did Hope and Faith. The show requires so little time off the air that a host can take on other artistic pursuits too. Maybe not Broadway but certainly singing in other ways

FORT Fogey

What surprises me about this news is that the three of them....all good in their individual fields... are being put in competition for the show so when the host is announced, the other two will be looked at as the losers.

Seth and Josh have very active careers and it would surprise me if either took the job and cut back on what they are doing now.
    They certainly do not have to do so.

BTW, did anybody see Regis last night during the last hour of the Macy's fireworks show? He was the host and looked really good

FORT Fogey

Josh Groban? Oh please NO! I wouldn't dare watch the show ever again for fear of falling asleep! I can't imagine he would want to do this show unless his career is seriously on the wane. Seth Myers would be a good choice, ditto Martin Short (my fave) but apparently he is not on the list. Michael Strahan, meh. Okay for a guest host, not a permanent one. I love the quick wit and humor of Seth and Martin.

FORT Fogey

Ibot2much, you are right that Seth and Josh both have established careers. But both are also at points that are a bit stuck. Seth has been at SNL for oner ten years. It is a exhausting schedule which is why most normal people don't stay that long. Even for someone like Darrel Hammond who stayed the longest, he eventually worked out a deal that allowed him to not come in until midway through the week skipping most of the prep and writing process. The show consumes your life which is why when people get to a point of wanting more in life they leave. Seth may finally be there. Also for both Seth and Josh, their current careers expose them to an audience of a limited size. Many know who they are, but many others will not. Taking the show with akelly would expose either to a larger audience. Kelly had a good career going when she started with Regis but the show grew her exposure more. Heck, the same could be said about both Regis and Kathie Lee too.

FORT Fogey

But I doubt Josh would want to give up his singing career (and I do think he is VERY well and widely known for that) unless he's losing his voice or something, and he seems to go on tour a lot, so how would they deal with that? Plus, if he wants to also do Broadway, that would be a grueling schedule with having to stay up until all hours of the night as Broadway performers do, then get up early for Live. Besides, he's just so bland and insipid to me as a co-host. He takes all his cues from Kelly, while Seth can hold his own and add more to the co-host position.

FORT Fogey

Supposedly Seth will be on all 5 days next week. Some talk about whether or not that means anything since he is in the city anyway, unlike some people who have to fly in and is not working on SLN as they are off for the summer.

Well at least there is something interesting going on

FORT Fogey

The key point I think is that the show requires so little time that a cohost doesn't need to give up most other things. Josh can record albums after 10am with no problem. For performing, he could do a gig like Celine dion does in Vehas where he did an extended run in a Broadway theater. Or, sine they often pretape the Friday show, he could do a tour of Thursday-Sunday shows. For Seth, he can write after 10am, and do standup shows near New York (he's travelled to stand up gigs while hosting Live before) and furth away Thursday-Sunday. For Seth, it would probably help him sell more theater venues and be less reliant on college audiences too. For either one, I don't see the show as an either or thing with other career pursuits.

FORT Fogey

Picking Josh Groban as the new permanent co-host would be a huge mistake, in my opinion. He is totally B-O-R-I-N-G!!! He needs to stick to singing.

+ Reply to Thread