+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Shows on BBC and BBC America

Re: Shows on BBC and BBC America

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    I agree about it being ST:TNG constantly. I'd much rather see some new shows that I don't get a chance to see on PBS. Heck, I would even take some reruns of Monty Python and the like.
    Yeah, Monty Python has relatively little of the three areas that they worry about. Even Benny Hill's risqueness is tame compared to what they show on today's TV. What little if any nudity I've seen in either shows can be cut out because it's brief.

Then there is "Fawlty Towers" (Sure only 12 episodes total but they can be shown at one a week maybe combined with Python), Good Neighbors, many of the soaps (I'd like to see Crossroads, Coronation Street and one other one myself besides EastEnders), a few that have Doctor Who actors on them (Such as Jenna-Louise Coleman's appearances in Emmerdale and Waterloo Road), and even some of the more modern series, such as Law & Order UK.

Faulty Towers would be great. How about The Vicar of Dibley, As time Goes By, Father Ted.... the list goes on.

I would also love to see some British soaps!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

I think it has to do with who owns the rights to air various shows and maybe the cost is too high for BBCA to air some of the series mentioned.
    jadewarlock likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Fawlty Towers, Vicar of Dibley, and Father Ted are all available Netflix Streaming. So are Call the Midwife, Reggie Perrin, Sherlock, and Doc Martin. There are too many other of my favorites to list here. Unfortunately, they don't have either EastEnders or Coronation Street.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

It could also be who produced it. Because Downton Abbey was produced on TV1, I doubt BBCA would ever get the rights to air it. Maybe that's the case with other PBS staples
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    Fawlty Towers, Vicar of Dibley, and Father Ted are all available Netflix Streaming. So are Call the Midwife, Reggie Perrin, Sherlock, and Doc Martin. There are too many other of my favorites to list here. Unfortunately, they don't have either EastEnders or Coronation Street.
    I don't use Netflix, but own a lot of those shows or get them from the library. But it would be nice to see them on there. I am especially wanting to see The Miranda Hart show. I know its who owns what rights, but one can hope, right??
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    It could also be who produced it. Because Downton Abbey was produced on TV1, I doubt BBCA would ever get the rights to air it. Maybe that's the case with other PBS staples
    I don't know - the following I've seen on PBS stations since I've been on my own (at least 15 years now):

Most common:
    Are You Being Served? (The Houston affiliate is the ONLY one I haven't seen this show on - and that is many affiliates)
    Keeping Up Appearances
    Red Dwarf (Older ones - I've YET to see the newer ones)
    Only Fools and Horses
    Doctor Who (older run - and sadly no longer since the BBC stopped allowing PBS stations to pick it up)
    Last of the Summer Wine
    As Time Goes By
    EastEnders
    Doc Martin
    Vicar of Dibley
    Masterpiece Theater - non American filmed stories

Less frequently, but at least more than one PBS station:
    My Hero
    Father Ted
    Up Pompeii!
    Only Fools and Horses
    Goodnight Sweetheart (Which makes me think again about them possibly choosing Nicholas Lyndhurst as the 12th Doctor - he shows good depth here)
    Monty Python
    Benny Hill
    Fawlty Towers
    Good Neighbors

Ones I've ONLY seen on one PBS station but have been talked about:
    The Young Ones
    Murder Most Horrid
    The Brittas Empire (which I like Chris Barrie in a bit more than as Rimmer in "Red Dwarf" and he's great in that)

Really out of these the only ones that probably wouldn't be picked up by the BBCAmerica network (other than any royalties needed):
    The Young Ones (I'll be honest it's pretty crass even by today's standards)
    Fawlty Towers (only 12 episodes ever filmed, though boy do they pack a lot in 30 minutes)
    AYBS? (because they probably make more money licensing it to PBS stations throughout the United States)

I meant that those shows we see on PBS - the ones mentioned above - might not be available to BBCA instead of things like ST:TNG. Obviously, they're on PBS. That's how most of us first saw them. It's not whether or not BBCA wants to air them, it's whether they can. It's my understanding that, even if a network isn't airing a show, it can hold the rights to air that show in the future and, therefore, prevent other networks from airing it.

Who knows why BBCA is or isn't showing various series? Frankly, I'd rather watch the current - or at least BBC original - programming since most of the shows mentioned are - as someone pointed out - available streaming on Netflix. Really, if I never have to sit through another episode of Benny Hill, it will be too soon.

Obviously, ST:TNG must be getting ratings if they air it so much. Ultimately, that's all the execs care about.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I meant that those shows we see on PBS - the ones mentioned above - might not be available to BBCA instead of things like ST:TNG. Obviously, they're on PBS. That's how most of us first saw them. It's not whether or not BBCA wants to air them, it's whether they can. It's my understanding that, even if a network isn't airing a show, it can hold the rights to air that show in the future and, therefore, prevent other networks from airing it.

Who knows why BBCA is or isn't showing various series? Frankly, I'd rather watch the current - or at least BBC original - programming since most of the shows mentioned are - as someone pointed out - available streaming on Netflix. Really, if I never have to sit through another episode of Benny Hill, it will be too soon.

Obviously, ST:TNG must be getting ratings if they air it so much. Ultimately, that's all the execs care about.
    Not necessarily - some of the ones I listed are close to that 50 year mark meaning anyone could use them if they so chose. And I've seen a couple of these shows shown on stations in addition to PBS at the same time (and usually smaller ones but still it's possible).

Then again I think "AYBS?" is fading out given that there is only one actor who was a regular still alive on it now - the one who played Mr. Rumbold. It seems sadly the more actors on a show die in real life the less that PBS seems to play the series.

But there's too much American filmed stuff on the network - current or older ones. It just feels to me with the BBC
    Florimel likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    Not necessarily - some of the ones I listed are close to that 50 year mark meaning anyone could use them if they so chose. And I've seen a couple of these shows shown on stations in addition to PBS at the same time (and usually smaller ones but still it's possible).

Then again I think "AYBS?" is fading out given that there is only one actor who was a regular still alive on it now - the one who played Mr. Rumbold. It seems sadly the more actors on a show die in real life the less that PBS seems to play the series.

But there's too much American filmed stuff on the network - current or older ones. It just feels to me with the BBC
    But would anyone want to watch them? PBS can get away with airing 50 year old shows because they don't depend on ratings/advertising dollars. BBCA does. Showing what many people - and especially the ones between 18 and 34 - would consider "old shows" definitely isn't going to help them in trying to appear current and hip.

+ Reply to Thread