+ Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 125 FirstFirst ... 24252627282930313233343536373839404142434484 ... LastLast
Like Tree570Likes

Thread: Scandal

Re: Scandal

Quote Originally Posted by mesachick View Post
    We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Olivia is supposed to be the person who gets others out of scandals, she is supposed to know better, but yet she puts herself into the biggest scandal of all. I think she appears weak, and vapid, like a silly school girl, when she crushes on Fitz. Yes, their storyline is a part of the show, but I don't consider it to be the backbone. To me, it is the relationships between those that work with her, that is most interesting for me. I am not missing the constant moping about that she was doing and I like the relationship she is cultivating with the senator. To me, Fitz is kind of an ass. He wants his cake and eat it too. I have to wonder if he is aware that he actually did not win the Presidential race, but that it was rigged? Now that is a storyline that is keeping me tuned in.
    I want to know all about Quinn! she is growing as a character, plus I like the others in Olivia's office. Fitz is a bit of a jerk imho, but that too is part of the storyline. It also shows Olivia is very strong when it comes to others and their scandals, but vulnerable when it comes to her own.
    beerbelly and QUEENOF3 like this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I don't think he is aware that the election was rigged at all. So glad that there is more story to Cyrus's partner.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

FORT Newbie

Hello,

I am new here.

I have been watching "Scandal" since day one and loving it. I just can't seem to find too many places to discuss this show. I am not a tweety bird lover. Too many limited characters if you ask me. So I am happy to be here.

Of course, I am a Fitz/Liv fan. This is what attracted me to this show.

Let me start by saying, I was totally shocked by the punch in the mouth I got when I heard about Fitz. When my sister called to tell me, my mouth just dropped. I have no idea who shot Fitz by the way. I am still in shock. I didn't see it coming. I am usally trying to get ahead of the game by reading any and all spoilers. I have to read two recaps before I watch my recorded episode just so I can understand it all. I never watch Scandal on the day it's televised. They go so fast. I like to rewind a lot. And by the way, I had my fingers cross Thursday night out here in San Franscisco praying that the lights would not go out. We had horrible rain storms. Any one had that problem? But back to this Fitz thing. Man, oh man. They sure kept it under wraps. I heard that the actors were hinting that something big was coming but never in my wildest of dreams. I am still thinking about it and have NO idea who could have done it.

But moving on to the beginning of "Defiance". I could careless about the case of the week now unless it parallels the Fitz and Olivia's situation. What I liked was that David defied his boss and is still investigating Hollis Doyle and has given info to James. And James defied Cyrus and is again investigating Hollis. That was very interesting. I liked how we learn about how it all possiblily went down in Ohio for the President on Election day.

Edison I don't like. I thought he was going to grown on me even though I am a Fitz/Liv fan as I said before. But naaaah, it's not working. All that stuff about his past girlfriends. What was that? What woman is interested in a man's past relationship unless she asks? Who does that? And what was that about a girl he dated that didn't want to read? He is a senator. Where is he meeting these women? No. Nevermind. Let's just move on.

I'll talk about Olivia's hair and wardrobe next time.
    ~Milo

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mesachick View Post
    We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Olivia is supposed to be the person who gets others out of scandals, she is supposed to know better, but yet she puts herself into the biggest scandal of all. I think she appears weak, and vapid, like a silly school girl, when she crushes on Fitz. Yes, their storyline is a part of the show, but I don't consider it to be the backbone. To me, it is the relationships between those that work with her, that is most interesting for me. I am not missing the constant moping about that she was doing and I like the relationship she is cultivating with the senator. To me, Fitz is kind of an ass. He wants his cake and eat it too. I have to wonder if he is aware that he actually did not win the Presidential race, but that it was rigged? Now that is a storyline that is keeping me tuned in.

And that's just it. It's easy to help others when you're detached and on the outside of a situation, but not so much when it's yourself and personal. Just like how doctor's don't treat their own illnesses, they go to other doctors, for example. In life, one doesn't just choose who they fall for, they simply fall for them, hence their weakness for that person. That's the complexity of love. It's the surrounding elements are not always perfect, or morally right for that matter. But it doesn't take away from the heart wanting what the heart wants. You said Olivia acts like a silly school girl when she "crushes" on Fitz, but this thing between them isn't a crush. It's way more intense than a crush. I don't see her acting giddy and bubbly like a school girl over him, but rather, pained and anguished that the man she loves can't really be hers because he belongs to someone else. Likewise for Fitz, who knows that his entire career depends on remaining stuck in a loveless marriage and prevents him from being with the woman he really wants to be with.

Anyone I've spoken with who has told me they're hooked on the show cites the forbidden romance between Olivia and Fitz as the main reason. Of course they enjoy the sub-plots with the other characters, as do I myself. But the overlying story is Olivia and Fitz' attraction and addiction to each other sometimes clouds their judgements and affects the decisions they make; these decisions invariably end up having a ripple on other people's lives around them.

You say that Olivia is supposed to help people get out of scandals, yet she's involved in the biggest scandal of all, but that's just it: life is full of irony that way. It would stand to reason that the woman in charge of ridding other people's lives of scandal would be battling her own scandalous issues behind the scenes and having difficulty shaking them off. If all the character did was run around fixing other people's scandals and then went home and called it a night what a boring character she'd be. The fact that her own scandal pretty much trumps all the other scandals, helps the show live up to its name.

Olivia as well as the other characters on this show, are layered, and very three dimensional, which only helps lends to its realism.
    Last edited by bee stung lips; 12-03-2012 at 09:23 AM.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

Quote Originally Posted by bee stung lips View Post
    And that's just it. It's easy to help others when you're detached and on the outside of a situation, but not so much when it's yourself and personal. Just like how doctor's don't treat their own illnesses, they go to other doctors, for example. In life, one doesn't just choose who they fall for, they simply fall for them, hence their weakness for that person. That's the complexity of love. It's the surrounding elements are not always perfect, or morally right for that matter. But it doesn't take away from the heart wanting what the heart wants. You said Olivia acts like a silly school girl when she "crushes" on Fitz, but this thing between them isn't a crush. It's way more intense than a crush. I don't see her acting giddy and bubbly like a school girl over him, but rather, pained and anguished that the man she loves can't really be hers because he belongs to someone else. Likewise for Fitz, who knows that his entire career depends on remaining stuck in a loveless marriage and prevents him from being with the woman he really wants to be with.

Anyone I've spoken with who has told me they're hooked on the show cites the forbidden romance between Olivia and Fitz as the main reason. Of course they enjoy the sub-plots with the other characters, as do I myself. But the overlying story is Olivia and Fitz' attraction and addiction to each other sometimes clouds their judgements and affects the decisions they make; these decisions invariably end up having a ripple on other people's lives around them.

You say that Olivia is supposed to help people get out of scandals, yet she's involved in the biggest scandal of all, but that's just it: life is full of irony that way. It would stand to reason that the woman in charge of ridding other people's lives of scandal would be battling her own scandalous issues behind the scenes and having difficulty shaking them off. If all the character did was run around fixing other people's scandals and then went home and called it a night what a boring character she'd be. The fact that her own scandal pretty much trumps all the other scandals, helps the show live up to its name.

Olivia as well as the other characters on this show, are layered, and very three dimensional, which only helps lends to its realism.
    I agree with some of what you are saying. But to me, a woman having an affair with a married man, does not bring about anything in her character that makes her any less boring than if she wasn't. You can be layered and complicated and interesting, without being stupid about your own decisions. Olivia is written as smart, decisive and in charge. Then with Fitz they write her as a stupid, obsessed school girl. The two do not mesh well together, at least IMHO. Just because you are attracted to another person, does not mean you should act on those desires. I'm just glad that is finally what is happening. There are plenty of other characters having affairs that she is having to help fix, she sees the destruction that it causes (like that should be enough to keep any sane, smart person away lol). We don't need her doing the same thing her clients are. To me it takes away something from her character, not add anything to it.
    Debb70 likes this.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bee stung lips View Post

You hit the nail on the head, BSL. You go!!! I could've written this exact same thing but you have far more patience than I do. I've grown weary trying to explain why I like certain shows. If other people like them, it's a great experience to discuss and dissect and try to guess what's going to happen next. If they just do not like the show or disagree with my core reasons for liking it, I just move on.

Great post.
    bee stung lips likes this.

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar

Great episode last week. I love how Quinn is trying to piece together what happened to her using Huck.
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

Quote Originally Posted by combatcutie View Post
    Great episode last week. I love how Quinn is trying to piece together what happened to her using Huck.
    Is that the oh, so SEXY, HOT Mr. Tom Hardy in your avatar???!

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar

No, it is Nick Wechsler. He's Jack Porter on Revenge
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

Quote Originally Posted by combatcutie View Post
    No, it is Nick Wechsler. He's Jack Porter on Revenge
    Well, dang, he looks just like Tom.

+ Reply to Thread