+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 123 FirstFirst 12345678910111252102 ... LastLast
Like Tree557Likes

Thread: Scandal

Re: Scandal

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Initial impression from commercials. A firm that covers up bad behavior by our political leaders for money. See enough of it in real life not interested in seeing it glorified on TV.
    Ah see, but that's the problem with making a judgment based only on a 30 second commercial

I watched it and really liked it! I think Kerry Washington is terrific - she's the reason I tuned in. I've also enjoyed several of the supporting players in previous projects as well. That scene with Olivia and the President was SO good! I guess I should have seen that coming, but I didn't. Kerry and Tony Goldwyn have great chemistry. I thought that was totally believable.

Fun to see Liza Weil. I always liked her on GG. For me, Jeff Perry isn't Meredith's father, he's Mr.Katimski from my so-called life!

I read that item from Watch With Kristin earlier and it made me even more excited to see what's coming next!
    ButterflyFaery and JavaJo like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

I enjoyed it, but I had the 'twist' with the career military man figured out about two minutes after he came on screen. I had an inkling about the second case, but wasn't sure until the hospital scene.

I watched the first episode simply to see HENRY IAN CUSICK (Desmond - Lost) but will now watch based on the storylines.

Looks to be an office romance in the works that will surely muck things up a bit. Something intriguing about kick-ass women who don't take 'no' for an answer!
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

O.K. I enjoy programs that have some semblance of knowledge about the subjects and characters portrayed and the writing and dialogue has some degree of authenticity.

Point: The military man (Sully) was portrayed as a Marine who received the Congressional Medal of Honor( CMH )and had parlayed that into motivational speaking and was looking toward a possible political career.

1) They must have said 3 or 4 times that he was a CMH "winner". Congressional Medals of Honor are never won. The circumstances involved ... war/combat is not a competition or a game. CMH's are earned. and the medal subsequently awarded. He would be referred to as a Congressional Medal of Honor recipient __ again ... never a "winner".

2) He also said he was a soldier from a family of soldiers. A Marine would never call himself a "soldier". "Once a Marine, always a Marine".

3) He also called himself a "Hero" a couple of times. I have never heard a CMH recipient, or for that matter any combat veteran call himself a hero __ and I know at least one CMH recipient personally, and many Marines, Corpsmen and combat veterans. They for the most part think the biggest heroes are the ones who gave all and didn't return home, and in some cases, some survivors who they feel contributed beyond the call of duty. I've never heard a Veteran with a legitimate decoration for Valor take any credit. I know a couple of heroes, but I have never heard them refer to themselves as heroes.

So .... sorry for the mini-rant here, but as soon as I hear that kind of dialogue I start yelling at the TV and then go into a mind loop and miss things.

Bottom line is conceptually I could like this show, but found the pilot disappointing and thinking the script writers need some research assistance.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

I haven't watched it, so I can't really express an informed opinion, but from what I do know, 1'm in complete agreement with Bearcata about the premise. I've yet to like any of Shonda Rhimes shows; she seems tell the same relationship stores and just put them in different settings. I'd like to see Henry Ian Cusick in something better.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

We really liked it! definitely watching this again
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

Just watched it on DVR and here's my one word impression. PHENOMENAL.
    I don't care that it wasn't 100% authentic about the military / Medal of Honor part. Don't care one bit. I watch episodic television for entertainment... not authenticity... so unless it's about a very specific thing of which I'm very intimately aware I won't notice the "errors" (and if I'm that intimately aware, I won't watch a tv show about it since I know they muck it up to be entertaining).

Kerry Washington was fantastic. She looked the part. She sounded the part. She acted the part. Good job on her part as well as the behind the scenes people that gave her so much to work with and such a way to pull it off, including visually.

Henry Ian Cusick? I'd watch that man in anything! I'm so glad he's a series regular because that alone is enough for me to tune in each week.

Joshua Malina - I'm glad to see him back in another political show - I think it's where he shines best.

Shonda Rhimes has had her share of its and misses but this one is definitely a hit... at least with me!
    buttahfly likes this.

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

I really shouldn't even comment as I didn't get to see it.
    I saw all the promos and they actually turned me off to Kerry Washington's character. She just came across, to me, as way too arrogant. Sad, as I usually like her.
    But, then again, I'm not a fan of Shondra Rhimes.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marlena_M View Post
    Henry Ian Cusick? I'd watch that man in anything! I'm so glad he's a series regular because that alone is enough for me to tune in each week.

Yep . . . me too!

Having watched the first episode, I'd have to say that Kerry Washington's character backs up her arrogance with skill. I didn't mind at all that she was the 'kick-ass-take-names" type. That's what it takes to get that kind of job done. She is, after all, a woman scorned.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew View Post
    Having watched the first episode, I'd have to say that Kerry Washington's character backs up her arrogance with skill. I didn't mind at all that she was the 'kick-ass-take-names" type. That's what it takes to get that kind of job done. She is, after all, a woman scorned.
    I don't think it's arrogance; it's confidence, and from what we've seen so far, it's totally justified!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Also, I don't think she's as arrogant/confident as she looks. There was a moment in the episode where a crack in that front was revealed. It was just a glimpse (when she was at the WH. I think once they delve more into the character, we'll see that a bit more.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

+ Reply to Thread