+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 77 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171858 ... LastLast
Like Tree346Likes

Thread: Cancelled or Not?

Re: Cancelled or Not?

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    By today's standards, All in the Family would have been cancelled too and that show became one of the most acclaimed series in TV history. Some shows really are crap, but others just need some time to find their footing and an audience.

I'm still shocked at GCB being cancelled. I thought it was a sure bet for next season.
    As you say, some shows take time to get themselves going. When I see a show pulled after a few episodes or one season, despite people saying they like it, it just gets me angry. Look at Freaks and Geeks... great show, tons of talent, what did it last? One season? Firefly is another, the show has a cult following, they made a movie and it was a one season show.
    Florimel and FireWoman like this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    I don't watch GCB but I thought it was doing well in the ratings.
    I've been wondering if they got grief from some religious communities. It can be perceived as slamming some, and there are some situations that would be totally frowned on by some religions.

I thought it was funny too.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by echo226 View Post
    I've been wondering if they got grief from some religious communities. It can be perceived as slamming some, and there are some situations that would be totally frowned on by some religions.

I thought it was funny too.
    I still blame the religious right for the cancellation of Nothing Sacred with Kevin Anderson back in the 90's. That show was SO good and took heat from groups that I'm sure never watched an episode. It only lasted 20 episodes. As someone who isn't terribly religious, it made me think MORE about religion, and not in a negative way.

I wish certain groups - and sorry to generalize, but it always seems to be the religious right - would stop deciding what's appropriate for me to watch. If you don't like it, don't watch it. That's what I do with lots of shows, but you don't see me flipping out and trying to get them canceled.

It's not like GCB was on right after Saturday morning cartoons. If you're worried about your child seeing it, then don't let him or her watch. If your kid is up that late watching TV unattended, then you have bigger problems. If you're offended by a little gentle satire, then get a thicker skin or a sense or humor OR find your remote control!

I'm reminded of a mother who complained about something she thought was too racy for her 7 year old on the MTV Music or Movie Awards. Mother of the Year material right there!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I wish certain groups - and sorry to generalize, but it always seems to be the religious right - would stop deciding what's appropriate for me to watch. If you don't like it, don't watch it. That's what I do with lots of shows, but you don't see me flipping out and trying to get them canceled.

It's not like GCB was on right after Saturday morning cartoons. If you're worried about your child seeing it, then don't let him or her watch. If your kid is up that late watching TV unattended, then you have bigger problems. If you're offended by a little gentle satire, then get a thicker skin or a sense or humor OR find your remote control!

I'm reminded of a mother who complained about something she thought was too racy for her 7 year old on the MTV Music or Movie Awards. Mother of the Year material right there!
    Excellent post, Crit! And with GCB, the ladies always ended up doing the right thing in the end, so the show had a positive message...it just took the long way to that destination. Like Carlene, she'd be evil and scheming and then she'd realize that wasn't very christian-like so she'd amend it. She was snotty and snarky about it, but she did it....lol
    karalott likes this.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

IIRC, The Book of Daniel got killed just a few episodes in because of pressure from the religious right as well. NBC thankfully put the rest of the run on the web, but I still thought it was a weak move. Like Crit says, if you don't like it, change the channel. Personally I was offended by the over the top racial stereotypes on 2 Broke Girls, so guess what? I just don't watch it. I didn't watch GCB (I'm all cable Sunday nights, and the DVR can only hold so much), but I seriously don't think that Kristin Chenowith would be involved with something that was truly offensive to Christianity.

I'm so happy that Parks & Rec got picked up for a full season and Community gets at least 13 more (with the possibility of more). I'm not too disappointed that 30 Rock only got 13 more for it's final season; it's been kind of sliding down in quality and it will get to go out with a plan and dignity.

I'm not surprised Harry's Law got the axe. I watched it (mostly--I missed a couple of episodes due to the Sunday move and the whole not being on demand or streaming) and loved to make fun of it's ridiculous cases with my aunt in weekly emails. It wasn't great, but it was typical Kelley, and the actors were largely top-notch. However, it felt a bit antiquated and was not promoted very well. Really, that's a systemic problem with NBC; ever since they gave the 9c/10a timeslot to Leno, things just went in the crapper on evening programming. If I had a dream job, it'd be one year as the programming exec there to get back Must See TV.

Critical, you JJ and Grrl are completely correct, and I just wondered if that might have had something to do with the cancellation. Me ? I thought it was entertaining, fresh and funny.

I get more offended by JLo's inappropriate displays on American Idol. I tune in to watch a talent show and I get stuck watching her slither around on the stage and flirt with young boys. I am not entertained by that.
    karalott, 2boysmom and Moontat like this.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by ButterflyFaery View Post
    well I am just tired of these networks not really giving a show a chance...think back 20 years ago and if they went by today's standards we would not have gotten many of the shows we now consider great classics...I know Mash didn't do well to begin with The Brady Bunch (yea I know its corny) but bunches of shows that by todays standard would have never gotten past the first 6 episodes...if they would do like NBC is doing and keeping all first season shows available to the public during the complete first season they would attract more viewers...you go now to watch a new show..say Revenge or OUAT and all you get free is the pilot and then the last 3 or 4 episodes but if a person really wants to get involved they want to see them all and NBC seems to the be only one with comman sense to realize this and its why when other shows are dropping Grimm has been picking up more viewers because they can catch up entirely on the show and see all the episodes and not pay for them...not saying they should do this for every season..but I think its a good premise for the first one..that way you have folks who want to watch it and give it time for word to spread and then when others have a chance they can see it and the viewership grows...but oh heck no CBS, ABC, and FOX if you don't get mega viewers in the first 4 weeks you are sunk and there is no chance....I am sick and tired of all the fake reality tv...I like a good tv show but we don't even get a chance to really get involved and they kill it..which brings up why in the world did they continue the Killing..now that was one show I did give a chance an entire season and it wasn't worth it but at least I hung in there and from what I understand its ratings are in the toilet and haven't left there and the story isn't moving anywhere
    Couldn't agree more with your posts, and with actually all the posts in here regarding the networks and cancellations. It's why I hate even tuning into new shows unless I know for sure they're going to last more than one season. I am so disappointed about Ringer I loved Sarah Michelle Gellar going back to her Buffy days, and was excited to see her back on my screen. That show is what I feel is lacking on TV today, and I think it needed more than one season to really take off. I actually thought it had already been renewed, so imagine my surprise when I heard it was actually on the chopping block. I read complaints about the acting, the plot lines, the scripts, everything being too messy and all over the place. But I loved it and figured those who didn't get it were missing something great I thought Hart of Dixie was cancelled awhile back so it shows you how close I was following things. Not surprised about The River or Alcatraz, although I enjoyed both shows. I also thought Pan Am had gotten a second wind after the campaign to keep it on the air. And the show BFF I was considering watching but didn't even know it had started.

I agree the networks need to give shows more of a chance that they did back in the old days. I already hear belly aching over losing money and viewers and the sought after demo not tuning in anymore, but what do they expect? Why waste your time getting invested in a show only to have it cancelled after a few episodes or one season. At least 2 Broke Girls and Body of Proof are returning. And Community! That's become the little show that could for me.

I also agree with your post, Crit, if people don't like what's on TV and consider it offensive, don't watch. I wouldn't exactly call GCB and The Playboy Club family friendly TV to begin with. But if people want to tune in and watch, why ruin it for them? I look back at shows I enjoyed on FOX, which seemed like it was the network that took risks back then, and think that the likes of In Living Color or Married...with Children would ever make it in today's overly PC uptight world. I'm fine with TV being decent, but I just roll my eyes at complaints launched and boycotts threatened over a steamy new sitcom that's airing at 10 p.m. when your kids should be in bed anyway. And if you let them watch, that's your problem.

I am not sure if it has anything to do with the religious aspect...these fools that are in charge of the networks have lost touch with the viewing pubic and IMO they don't bother to take the ratings into account...I know they say they do but Alcatraz and Terra Nova both did better than Touch but they got cut and they golden boy Keifer is on the show for the star pull only
    karalott likes this.
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ButterflyFaery View Post
    I am not sure if it has anything to do with the religious aspect...these fools that are in charge of the networks have lost touch with the viewing pubic and IMO they don't bother to take the ratings into account...I know they say they do but Alcatraz and Terra Nova both did better than Touch but they got cut and they golden boy Keifer is on the show for the star pull only
    Neither Alcatraz or Terra Nova got cancelled for reasons that weren't financial. I don't think either show got stellar ratings and, in the case of TN, the episodes were hugely expensive to produce. The ratings for Alcatraz went down over the course of the season, which is likely the reason it got the axe. I think Terra Nova got okay ratings, but considering that the premiere cost a reported $14M (and regular episodes were around $4 or $5M), the ratings would have had to be better than just "okay" to justify a second season.

I agree that Kiefer is one of the reasons Fox kept Touch. He's proven himself for them with a hit show before and I'm sure Touch is A LOT cheaper to produce at least than Terra Nova.

The religious aspect we were discussing had to do with shows being protested by groups because of their content and networks seemingly bowing to that pressure. It's happened with a number of series in the past that were religion-focused.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Neither Alcatraz or Terra Nova got cancelled for reasons that weren't financial. I don't think either show got stellar ratings and, in the case of TN, the episodes were hugely expensive to produce. The ratings for Alcatraz went down over the course of the season, which is likely the reason it got the axe. I think Terra Nova got okay ratings, but considering that the premiere cost a reported $14M (and regular episodes were around $4 or $5M), the ratings would have had to be better than just "okay" to justify a second season.

I agree that Kiefer is one of the reasons Fox kept Touch. He's proven himself for them with a hit show before and I'm sure Touch is A LOT cheaper to produce at least than Terra Nova.

The religious aspect we were discussing had to do with shows being protested by groups because of their content and networks seemingly bowing to that pressure. It's happened with a number of series in the past that were religion-focused.
    I live in the deep south..the bible belt...I know exactly how religion affected GCB...lol I know Terra Nova was expensive to make and even though its ratings were not the best both it and Alcatraz did better than touch and that just irks me cause if Keifer wasn't on Touch it would have probably got cancelled too but keeping it seemed more of a butt kissing smooch than anything to do with the actual show

and I think given some time Alcatraz could have really picked up..not saying TN would have...except among us serious sci fi junkies...lol
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

+ Reply to Thread