+ Reply to Thread
Page 57 of 75 FirstFirst ... 7474849505152535455565758596061626364656667 ... LastLast
Like Tree339Likes

Thread: Cancelled or Not?

Re: Cancelled or Not?

I looked into the real CIA agent who was working for the Soviets. He was living like a king for many years. It boggles the mind that the CIA didn't pick on the fact he was trading info for money. I guess that because he passed polygraph tests, they didn't put him under too much scrutiny.

He said that in order to pass the polygraph, he just relaxed and made friendly talk with the examiner. It worked. lol It took them many years to catch. I don't think he was charged until 1993! That's amost ten years after when the the tv is set.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    The Assets could have been a great mini series. It's based on a true story and that should have been the draw for the show, but they didn't promote it as based on a true story.

Then they pick low energy, unknown actors who could not carry lead roles. And the writing was lame. So boring and the direction was just not good.

This show was a waste, when it didn't have to be.
    It was a miniseries. They meant it to run for 8 episodes. I thought it was clear that the show was based on a true story. The name "Aldrich Ames" should have been a neon sign announcing that, even if viewers missed the "Inspired by real events" in the commercials and at the top of the first episode.

The story was compelling. It was the lackluster writing and editing that sunk the show. The actors could have been better, but that may have just been a reflection of the scripts.
    Florimel and Coco46 like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Syfy networks Defiance is back for a second season I though this thing had been cancelled.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Aaron Sorkin's Newsroom has been picked up for a 3rd & final season.

I don';t know where else to put this, but here is a bit of purgatory I think. Fox has still not made a decision on whether or not to renew for another season of X Factor. Even though Simon "the ego" Cowell is pimping it, the network is on the fence. Quite frankly, I think The Ego & his knockoff show need to exit stage right & ne'er be heard from again!
    Coco46 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    It was a miniseries. They meant it to run for 8 episodes. I thought it was clear that the show was based on a true story. The name "Aldrich Ames" should have been a neon sign announcing that, even if viewers missed the "Inspired by real events" in the commercials and at the top of the first episode.

The story was compelling. It was the lackluster writing and editing that sunk the show. The actors could have been better, but that may have just been a reflection of the scripts.
    Not everyone is that versed in history. I think that could have marketed it more as a story based on real life events and it would have gained more appeal. Still, even after the viewer turned in, it's not likely they would have continued to watch, because it was so lackluster. It's too bad, too.

I only managed to watch one show of the Assests, and that was one too many. They took what could have been interesting, and made it boring. I was certainly not going to tune in for a second round of mind-numbing torture. I like history, grew up in the '80's, and knew he was a real person. It had all the elements for a good show, but bad writing (at the very least) did them in.
    Florimel and Debb70 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Syfy networks Defiance is back for a second season I though this thing had been cancelled.
    They had mentioned at the season finale it was coming back in August, which I thought was far too long. I can only think that it's because a. of the heavy CGI and b. actors such as Tony Curran are indeed popular (if not here, in the UK - Curran is also known as playing van Gogh in "Doctor Who"), and this was when they could have everything filmed and edited by then.

I don't see it getting more than a second season though given that this span of time usually means people forget about it. Their season finale was indeed strong; however, I don't know if it was enough.

I wonder if it's possible they renewed Defiance because of the computer game it's tied to, which debuted at the same time and has synergy with the show. The may want to keep the show alive to stimulate game sales. I'm a gamer but have never tried Defiance. Anyone know how the game is doing?
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    I don';t know where else to put this, but here is a bit of purgatory I think. Fox has still not made a decision on whether or not to renew for another season of X Factor. Even though Simon "the ego" Cowell is pimping it, the network is on the fence. Quite frankly, I think The Ego & his knockoff show need to exit stage right & ne'er be heard from again!
    I totally agree about Simon and his ego, razorbacker, but I like X Factor, and I think it's by far the best of the singing competition shows. I wouldn't mind losing The Voice, or some of the other singing shows, but I'd definitely keep X Factor, and maybe American Idol, if they could get the excitement back into it. Of course, it's all 'different strokes' cause we all have our preferences. That's part of why it's so frustrating, because invariably, some people are always going to get their favorites knocked off the air.

+ Reply to Thread