+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 75 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232464 ... LastLast
Like Tree339Likes

Thread: Cancelled or Not?

Re: Cancelled or Not?

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I'm going to disagree with that statement. The show mocked a certain kind of person who holds him or herself up as a devout and very religious person, but they're just as flawed as everyone else. It was a TV series based on the idea that going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than sitting in a garage makes you a car.
    Critical, it made fun of people who were hypocritical about their faith, it's a Christian faith. IMHO, therefore it did mock Christianity, however direct or indirectly. I'd also feel this way if it were any other faith.

Regardless, I still maintain most if not all the reason it and "Pan Am" were canceled was not the Christian opinion, but because it was following "DH" and there are already two similar shows in the same vein ABC is producing. It'd probably been more successful on another network because of the saturation.

A similar correlation to the over-saturation is the whole "CSI" franchise that ended up at least IMHO being the partial cause of "Miami" being canceled.

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    Critical, it made fun of people who were hypocritical about their faith, it's a Christian faith. IMHO, therefore it did mock Christianity, however direct or indirectly. I'd also feel this way if it were any other faith.

Regardless, I still maintain most if not all the reason it and "Pan Am" were canceled was not the Christian opinion, but because it was following "DH" and there are already two similar shows in the same vein ABC is producing. It'd probably been more successful on another network because of the saturation.

A similar correlation to the over-saturation is the whole "CSI" franchise that ended up at least IMHO being the partial cause of "Miami" being canceled.
    I still disagree that it mocked Christianity. Some Christians? Absolutely, but not the whole religion. I watched every episode and I don't think that it was an anti-religion show. Frankly, I think people take themselves too seriously and look for the unintended insult. I know that so many of the people who bagged on the show or were in favor of a boycott never even watched it.

I think both shows were canceled because they didn't have the ratings. Plus, GCB, in particular, had what was likely an expensive payroll. That's the problem with shows that have huge ensemble casts, especially ones with well known actors (I'm sure Annie Potts and Kristen Chenoweth, in particular, don't come cheap). When a show has a higher bottom line, the ratings have to be even higher. I don't think there are many decisions made by TV networks that have anything to do with something other than money. It's about how many people watch and how much it costs to produce.

I was reading an interview with one of the bigwigs at the CW and he said Hart of Dixie was saved, in part, because of the numbers of people who watched it online, particularly on Hulu. I'm never home on Monday nights, so I watched it on the CW site. It makes me happy that my "vote" counted!
    Rattus and Katydyd like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I watched Little Mosque on the Prairie for awhile and it took a similar mocking/light hearted approach to the Muslim religion and life style as well as Catholocism in some episodes. Again that was CBC show where apparently people can just flip away when they're not interested in the topic instead of having an uprising. I personally didn't watch GCB more than a couple times because it was a little too churchy for me. And I could see how it wouldn't get ratings not because it's mocking a religion but because it just wasn't that good.

People who are looking to be offended will never be disappointed! It's not the job of ABC/NBC/CBS to raise your kids, my Mom hated Married with Children when I was growing up, guess what, we didn't watch it and she didn't even have to write a single letter. It drives me crazy the way some people need to force their personal beliefs on everyone else around them, especially when it's for the 'good of everyone', sorry but what's good for one person is not good for everyone, so unless you want my creepy neighbors' life rules forced on you, you may want to consider that everyone has the same right to live their lives the way they see fit... even if it means watching a silly tv show once a week. If I hated the colour blue should I be able to have it removed from society?? That's how ridiculous this whole argument is to me.
    Florimel, Critical, Rattus and 3 others like this.

I loved GCB and I am afraid of the power of groups to have shows like this canceled because they find them offensive. There wasn't gratuitous violence, nudity, swearing etc. It was probably like looking in a mirror for some of the people who don't practise what they preach so they had to get themselves all up in arms about it.

I didn't let my daughter watch some shows when she was younger that were supposedly designed for tweens but whose stars had questionable values all over the tabloids. I figured that my money wasn't going to support people who aren't positive role models for their market audience. I didn't go around slamming Miley Cyrus, Lindsay Lohan etc. I just didn't let her watch their work. My beliefs may not be the same as my neighbours but that is why we live in a free world. I don't think anyone has the right to tell me what I can and can not watch as an adult (with the exception of illegal crap, of course.)
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

I can't find the proper thread, but I wanted to pass along to anyone that is watching that A&E has picked up The Glades for another season!

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    I can't find the proper thread, but I wanted to pass along to anyone that is watching that A&E has picked up The Glades for another season!
    Yay! (Of course, I didn't even know that it was on the edge...after the proposal cliff-hanger, I figured it *would* be back.)

ABC Family cancelled Jane By Design. Rats, I liked it. At least they were able to run an entire season.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    ABC Family cancelled Jane By Design. Rats, I liked it. At least they were able to run an entire season.
    Really? Ugh. That is one of the only 'good' shows they have.

Honest to God...I don't even know why I bother to watch anything anymore.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Oh Pooh! I really liked Jane by Design. It was such a fun show.

+ Reply to Thread