+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 77 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222363 ... LastLast
Like Tree346Likes

Thread: Cancelled or Not?

Re: Cancelled or Not?

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    Part of me just sneers at mass-boycottings by the live-to-be-offended crowd and moves on. The less tolerant part of me seriously wants to organize a group that will let sponsors and advertisers know that they will organize boycotts of any organization that caves to the will of any loud-mouthed nutjob group, whomever they might be.
    I feel the same and it gets my panties in a bunch when people with children try to change my TV viewing habits because they don't have control over their own TV in their house. Just because it's on doesn't mean your kids or you have to watch it. There are plenty of shows I don't watch because they go against my personal beliefs. It's called a "power button."

Honestly that's why I've liked stuff like Canadian TV (I get CBC where I live) because they seem to be able to show more adult themed shows in the evening without a fiasco abounding. I watched the Tudors on CBC for a few years completely with all the nudity and sexuality in the 8-9pm time slot. If that happened on NBC or ABC etc... some group would feel the need to protest instead of changing the channel or turning it off.
    Little Sew&Sew likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos View Post
    Honestly that's why I've liked stuff like Canadian TV (I get CBC where I live) because they seem to be able to show more adult themed shows in the evening without a fiasco abounding. I watched the Tudors on CBC for a few years completely with all the nudity and sexuality in the 8-9pm time slot. If that happened on NBC or ABC etc... some group would feel the need to protest instead of changing the channel or turning it off.
    That's one of many things I love about Canada. I recall seeing Colm Feore's unclad junk 'n' ass on public television during primetime, and whaddaya know? Civilization didn't collapse and those who enjoy prayer and church were still free to do so, and those who don't particularly want to see naughty bits were free to not watch. I don't know if there were any complaints about it because if there were they were dealt with as they should be - quietly and out of the public eye.
    Hyper and M_shelll like this.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    You are in the majority on not liking Poppy Montgomery as the lead. I have read many negative comments about her. I was really surprised. I like her a lot. I loved her on Without A Trace and thought she did a great job on Unforgettable. Oh well. Normally, I'm the picky person about actors. LOL
    Yeah, I am bummed too that this show is cancelled. I liked Poppy on Without a Trace as well and always thought it was cool how the two main characters on that show (Poppy and Anthony La Paglia) were native Australians portraying Americans. I like Poppy as a redhead, too. I'm not familiar with Dylan Walsh other than I knew he was the doctor from Nip/Tuck, which I had never seen. Still, I think those two had good chemistry together.

Private Practice switched to the same time slot on ABC. I am pretty sure it is coming back in Sept. Well, one good thing is I won't have to choose which one to watch on Tuesday nights. (No DVR).

PWS
    FORT Fogey

RE GCB, if the Million Moms watched the show they'd see that in fact the leading "B" is in fact trying to live up to her Christian beliefs...she fails, but who doesn't, but when she realizes how badly she's messed up she changes. Of course she's also entitled and striving to social climb and all, but under it, she does periodically "fact check" her behavior and try to align it with Christian values. So do most of the characters. Yes, there's a lot of sex, but a lot of it is marital---married couples are shown as passionate partners, and committed on some level even when one is gay and the other isn't. A lot of the things that are mocked are the over the top affluence and spending and the "high schoolness" of some of the adult behavior--all good things to mock from the Christian perspective. Not even Jesus expected his followers to be perfect, just to work on improving, which is what the show shows a lot of. And have to say, love the "Losing it with Jesus" concept Talk about find a use for your Bible.
    I agree, it isn't a show for kids, but then it isn't on when kids should be watching. It's much too complicated for children--it's meant for adults.

well while I didn't watch GCB I would never go as far to try and tell others what they should and shouldn't watch on tv...its a free country

but I do know that when they cancelled Jericho the major thing other than the nuts that got it a 2nd season was the hundreds of thousands of people calling writing emailing tweeting to the SPONSERS of the show and telling them they would no longer use their products

nothing gets a networks attention quicker than sponsers start pulling their ads from shows and when people complain in great numbers to them..unlike the network they listen
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    Part of me just sneers at mass-boycottings by the live-to-be-offended crowd and moves on. The less tolerant part of me seriously wants to organize a group that will let sponsors and advertisers know that they will organize boycotts of any organization that caves to the will of any loud-mouthed nutjob group, whomever they might be.
    That is precisely what I've been thinking. If you organize such a group, I will join immediately and support it in any way I can..
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    That is precisely what I've been thinking. If you organize such a group, I will join immediately and support it in any way I can..
    you onto a good idea cause I tell you its the sponsers that will listen not the networks
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

News Briefs: TNT or Lifetime Might Rescue Unforgettable - News - TV.com

Seems the show was getting about 12 million viewers and a 2.5 rating in the 18-24 demo. Wasn't good enough for CBS but ABC and NBC would kill for those ratings anyway as the article says TNT or Lifetime is looking into picking up the show.
    Debb70 likes this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by maude~flanders View Post
    Interesting theory. So, as long as a group is in the majority, they should have a sense of humor and get over it? Even if it involves their deeply held religious beliefs? So, "Muslim Bitches" should be a show that is acceptable in Saudi Arabia, or any other muslim country.

If One Million Moms is irrelevant, than the sponsors can just refuse to listen to them. But, they apparently don't feel that way. The great thing about this country is that it is market-driven. If there is a show that out there that is purposely offending someone's religious beliefs, they can stop buying the sponsor's products and let them know. Where it goes from there is all about market-driven decisions.
    A "GMB" type series would have some serious negative ramifications if it was held due to the beliefs of Islam and the Koran, but you make a valid point.

I admit I wasn't fond of the show because it mocked Christianity, though I didn't watch it because at that time usually I'm working on a jewelry project and just listen to music.

That said, it obviously had interest by people, or it wouldn't have even been picked up as a pilot.

What killed it though was IMHO what Killed "Pan Am" in general - being on after "Desperate Housewives" during its final season and both at least partially up against a very strong "Celebrity Apprentice" season.

What I felt "Pan Am" had that "GCB" didn't though - and would've factored in if only one was canceled, is that "Pan Am" was lighthearted fluff that isn't done to death on ABC or other networks. Having Travolta offer a plane to use for setting and such also helped out.

"GCB" however had two other similar feel shows on the network - "Suburgatory" and "Don't Trust the B---- in Apt. 23" (which I admit I like watching in small doses).

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    A "GMB" type series would have some serious negative ramifications if it was held due to the beliefs of Islam and the Koran, but you make a valid point.

I admit I wasn't fond of the show because it mocked Christianity, though I didn't watch it because at that time usually I'm working on a jewelry project and just listen to music.

That said, it obviously had interest by people, or it wouldn't have even been picked up as a pilot.

What killed it though was IMHO what Killed "Pan Am" in general - being on after "Desperate Housewives" during its final season and both at least partially up against a very strong "Celebrity Apprentice" season.

What I felt "Pan Am" had that "GCB" didn't though - and would've factored in if only one was canceled, is that "Pan Am" was lighthearted fluff that isn't done to death on ABC or other networks. Having Travolta offer a plane to use for setting and such also helped out.

"GCB" however had two other similar feel shows on the network - "Suburgatory" and "Don't Trust the B---- in Apt. 23" (which I admit I like watching in small doses).
    I'm going to disagree with that statement. The show mocked a certain kind of person who holds him or herself up as a devout and very religious person, but they're just as flawed as everyone else. It was a TV series based on the idea that going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than sitting in a garage makes you a car.
    Coco46 likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread