+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 75 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212262 ... LastLast
Like Tree339Likes

Thread: Cancelled or Not?

Re: Cancelled or Not?

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    You are in the majority on not liking Poppy Montgomery as the lead. I have read many negative comments about her. I was really surprised. I like her a lot. I loved her on Without A Trace and thought she did a great job on Unforgettable. Oh well. Normally, I'm the picky person about actors. LOL
    You aren't completely alone Debb70- I really like Poppy too! I thought she did a good job in Without A Trace and Unforgettable. I didn't realize there was so much negativity towards her
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

Quote Originally Posted by Katydyd View Post
    You aren't completely alone Debb70- I really like Poppy too! I thought she did a good job in Without A Trace and Unforgettable. I didn't realize there was so much negativity towards her
    I can't stand her and I think the primary reason may be her duckfacing. If you're not taking a picture of yourself in the mirror with your phone, don't duckface. Also, don't take pictures of yourself in the mirror with your phone.
    Duxxy and MiaT2 like this.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

TVLine reported tonight that Unforgettable may be moving to another channel (I remember one was Lifetime, I forget the other).

Now if USA would pick up Finder, I'd be happy :-)

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I still blame the religious right for the cancellation of Nothing Sacred with Kevin Anderson back in the 90's. That show was SO good and took heat from groups that I'm sure never watched an episode. It only lasted 20 episodes. As someone who isn't terribly religious, it made me think MORE about religion, and not in a negative way.

I wish certain groups - and sorry to generalize, but it always seems to be the religious right - would stop deciding what's appropriate for me to watch. If you don't like it, don't watch it. That's what I do with lots of shows, but you don't see me flipping out and trying to get them canceled.

It's not like GCB was on right after Saturday morning cartoons. If you're worried about your child seeing it, then don't let him or her watch. If your kid is up that late watching TV unattended, then you have bigger problems. If you're offended by a little gentle satire, then get a thicker skin or a sense or humor OR find your remote control!

I'm reminded of a mother who complained about something she thought was too racy for her 7 year old on the MTV Music or Movie Awards. Mother of the Year material right there!
    There is an organization called One Million Moms that works to boycott the sponsors of shows that are offensive to Christians. The cancellation of GCB has been their pet project since it came to be - called "Good Christian Bitches". They are really organized and do a great job in making it easy for members to send out letters to the sponsors of these shows. It's not about just changing the channel - it's about expressing their dissatisfaction with material that is a direct affront to their religion. If there was a show called "Muslim Bitches", there would be a public outcry and all hell would break loose, but since it is Christians that are the butt of the joke, they are supposed to sit back and take it. Well, then it comes down to whether the sponsors of the show give a damn if they lose this consumer base. Some companies don't care, and continue their support of the show, and others do, which leads them to withdraw their sponsorship. Then, it is up to the network on whether or not they can find other sponsorship. It's all about the money.

I think One Million Moms has under 500,000 members now, so that's definitely a misnomer.

My feeling is this: there's a big difference between "going after" Christians (if that's you call what a show like GCB does) and going after Muslims in the same way. Christians are the power majority in this country. I would say that WASPs are in charge of nearly everything in this country, but there's a glaring exception to the "W" at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave right now. Making fun of a group that's a powerful majority is WAY different from making fun of a minority. It just is. I didn't hear about OMM protesting the book that GCB was based on that WAS called Good Christian Bitches. I'm a WASP. I don't mind the ribbing.

My beef is that these groups gets their knickers in a twist without even seeing the show or movie or reading the book. Maybe I'm wrong about that and the people who wanted GCB off the air saw a little too much of themselves for comfort. I fail to understand why a group of moms who seem to be concerned about viewing for their children took issue with a show that aired at 10pm. Like I said upthread, if your child is watching TV unsupervised at 10pm, then you've got bigger problems.

It doesn't matter WHO is being mocked. I think everyone needs to find their sense of humor or their remote control. I resent being told what's acceptable viewing by a group of people who clearly have an agenda and, frankly, no sense of humor.

I'm more offended by crappy writing and bad acting.
    Rattus, M_shelll, Moontat and 3 others like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by TripleGemini View Post
    TVLine reported tonight that Unforgettable may be moving to another channel (I remember one was Lifetime, I forget the other).

Now if USA would pick up Finder, I'd be happy
    :-)
    So would I. Finder is the type of quirky character driven show that would fit perfectly on USA.
    Duxxy and FireWoman like this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar

seriously? that makes me super happy.

Now if USA would pick up Finder, I'd be happy :-)
    They are negotiating with A&E & TNT both

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

Interesting theory. So, as long as a group is in the majority, they should have a sense of humor and get over it? Even if it involves their deeply held religious beliefs? So, "Muslim Bitches" should be a show that is acceptable in Saudi Arabia, or any other muslim country.

If One Million Moms is irrelevant, than the sponsors can just refuse to listen to them. But, they apparently don't feel that way. The great thing about this country is that it is market-driven. If there is a show that out there that is purposely offending someone's religious beliefs, they can stop buying the sponsor's products and let them know. Where it goes from there is all about market-driven decisions.

Part of me just sneers at mass-boycottings by the live-to-be-offended crowd and moves on. The less tolerant part of me seriously wants to organize a group that will let sponsors and advertisers know that they will organize boycotts of any organization that caves to the will of any loud-mouthed nutjob group, whomever they might be.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

+ Reply to Thread