+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 77 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192060 ... LastLast
Like Tree347Likes

Thread: Cancelled or Not?

Re: Cancelled or Not?

Quote Originally Posted by ButterflyFaery View Post
    I live in the deep south..the bible belt...I know exactly how religion affected GCB...lol I know Terra Nova was expensive to make and even though its ratings were not the best both it and Alcatraz did better than touch and that just irks me cause if Keifer wasn't on Touch it would have probably got cancelled too but keeping it seemed more of a butt kissing smooch than anything to do with the actual show

and I think given some time Alcatraz could have really picked up..not saying TN would have...except among us serious sci fi junkies...lol
    Well that would have made at least 2 of us watching it
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by echo226 View Post
    Well that would have made at least 2 of us watching it
    Make it three.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    Make it three.
    I make four :-)

So, if each of you pays Fox a million per episode, I bet they'd keep it on the air!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I wish certain groups - and sorry to generalize, but it always seems to be the religious right - would stop deciding what's appropriate for me to watch. If you don't like it, don't watch it. That's what I do with lots of shows, but you don't see me flipping out and trying to get them canceled.

It's not like GCB was on right after Saturday morning cartoons. If you're worried about your child seeing it, then don't let him or her watch. If your kid is up that late watching TV unattended, then you have bigger problems. If you're offended by a little gentle satire, then get a thicker skin or a sense or humor OR find your remote control!

I'm reminded of a mother who complained about something she thought was too racy for her 7 year old on the MTV Music or Movie Awards. Mother of the Year material right there!
    I think people would've had less of a problem with "GCB" - if A. it didn't translate to the original title (which everyone knew it was based on the book "Good Christian B-----" and not "Good Christian Belles" as touted by ABC, and b. They did NOT put it on Sunday, which just compounded the disdain amongst stronger religious groups.

(BTW, a name change isn't out there for ABC - they did it on "The Greatest American Hero" by changing Ralph's last name to Hanley instead of Hinkley thanks to Jon Hinckley nearly assassinating Reagan and not wanting to correlate the assassin with a superhero. All it did was add some confusion to watchers then and even now).

If they put it on other days of the week, I think it'd had less of the anger that I've read in regard to the content. It also didn't help though they have two other shows with similar veins (shallow women and hypocracy with humorous results) - "Suburgatory" and "Don't trust the B--- in Apt. 23."

On a more personal - and secular outlook - viewpoint - "GCB" suffered as much as "Pan Am" because it was running after "DH" but up against a second hour of "Celebrity Apprentice" and other relatively strong outings from the other three large networks (OK FOX is usually news, but the target group usually is the same folks who will watch the 9 p.m. news on Sunday to go to bed early on a work week).

>>>>>>>>>>>>

Personally, I'm disappointed "Pan Am" wasn't given a second season, but as I mentioned on that thread at least they did give it a conclusion - open ended to allow an escape into a new season if they did pull in another one (each had plans for the future that could be written into stories), but if not, a good conclusion. I do wish though they showed them in the right order - that may have had just enough of an impact.

AM surprised out of the two other "CSI's" that Miami is the one that was canceled. That said, it may be cheaper to film in New York for all I know - there is a studios there. (I liked both so it was going to be tough losing one or the other). I think though that the original one has stayed strong because they've had strong replacements in the cast, such as Ted Danson.

Most cancellations I'm not surprised about...

But NYC 22 has only had TWO episodes I think air and they pull it?! I really dislike them pulling shows after an episode or two. Heck, at least air all the ones you have FILMED. I mean, you've paid your actors, actresses and extras so why not show them (I know ad space and the like, but to me it's just frittering away money to not show all episodes.)

And there are some I feel should be canceled but weren't - such as some of the reality tv shows, but that isnt' out there.

I only get upset cause it seems like any show that has a sci fi theme never makes it..but those stupid reality shows do..grrrrrrrrrrrrrr...and unless you are making a dr show or a cop show chances are slim it will make it

as for Missing...I saw that more as a mini series show..a filler...I just didn't see how it could go for a 2nd season so I am not that upset about it

but Alcatraz was a darn good show and they should have given it another chance and given it some time
    Florimel likes this.
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

FORT Fogey

I was just getting into NYC 22, oh well. It'll be interesting to see what CBS has planned for the 10pm Sunday time slot.

So happy Hart of Dixie is back!

While I haven't made any secrets of my feelings toward Unforgettable, I have to say that I was shocked that it was cancelled. Especially since it was considered a "sure thing" by so many of the online analysts etc.
    Katydyd likes this.
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...usually on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that.

I'm thrilled that Scandal and Body of Proof will be back, but unhappy about Unforgettable. I really liked that show. I have also liked Missing, however last week that show jumped the shark. The script got all crazy and many implausible things happened. We were yelling at the tv crying foul. It just got nutty all of a sudden, so I'm not too sad to see it go now. Although, I will miss that beautiful scenery.

I thought this was an interesting little blurb about canceling shows:
    This part was specifically in reference to CSI: Miami, but it applies to other shows as well:
    It is a curious fact that the longer a TV series remains on the air, the more expensive it becomes to produce. Featured actors often demand huge salary increases. Labor contracts assure even low-ranked crew members substantial pay increases. To retain quality, expensive location shoots are cranked up.
    WHY DID CBS KILL CSI: MIAMI? | Studio Briefing
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread