+ Reply to Thread

Thread: American Gods (HBO)

American Gods (HBO)

Okay, I know this is early but I just heard about this today and I am SO EXCITED!!

The book American Gods by Neil Gaiman is being made into an HBO series that is expected to premiere in 2013. I read this book a couple of years ago and LOVED it! The premise was unlike anything I had read before. The main character (a regular guy) gets pulled into a world that is hidden from most humans, in which all gods who have ever existed actually have a corporeal presence on earth. However, the amount of power they have is directly correlated to the number of people who still believe in, and worship, them. So that homeless guy you pass on the street could be an ancient god that people have forgotten. BUT the old gods aren't the only ones. As society has developed people have started to "worship" new things: television, computers, and other technologies. So there are gods introduced that represent these technologies. A war is brewing between the old gods and the new and the main character has gotten caught up in it all. There is SO MUCH potential in this story for a fantastic series. Although, I'm not certain how HBO plans to draw it out into 6 seasons. There is additional speculation in this article.
    American Gods...The HBO series? - Technorati TV

Squee! Or maybe that should be small-s squee. I haven't been that impressed with filmmaker's treatment of Gaiman's work (well, Coraline was okayish, but not what I'd envisioned). My older daughter is reading American Gods now...hope the HBO series will be something not too adult for her to watch.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Re: American Gods (HBO)

I'm not familiar with the book, but it definitely sounds like something I'd enjoy. I'll be sure to hunt the book down before the series starts...
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

+ Reply to Thread