+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: The Rosie Show

FORT Fogey

Re: The Rosie Show

I think you really nailed it, Shoepie. The programming on OWN is so peculiar. Seems every time I check the programming guide to see what's on at a time I can watch, the show is something really odd and not at all what I thought Oprah wanted her network to stand for. I don't understand why she is at all bewildered by the fact that OWN is not doing well. In my opinion, Oprah got a little carried away by her own ego. I realize it takes time for a new network to take off, but I think she needs to clarify her vision, get rid of anything that doesn't further it, and get some people on board who can come up with good ideas for new shows, or even old shows that fit her ideals for a network that bears her name. It's a weird mish-mosh hodgepodge of programming.
    Debb70 likes this.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Yes, I agree about the OWN programming still being a strange hodge-podge of Oprah inspired programming and the former network's left-overs. But for me it's heart breaking that Rosie's show has been cancelled because I love Rosie and I really enjoyed her show. Even when I didn't think I was going to be interested in the guest, I always ended up so glad I watched it. And the cancellation doesn't make any sense to me because even if Rosie had very low ratings, her time slot will probably be filled with some old network re-run that won't do any better. I wish they had just left it alone, and perhaps in time, she would have built up a decent size following. A lot of people really like Rosie --- but unfortunately, many people either can't get OWN or don't know how to find it in their area.

I'm also saddened by Oprah's lack of success (so far) with this network. I know she has such high hopes for it, and I do love the inspirational positive-messaged programming. I really wish her well with it and hope she won't give up on it. It's so nice to have a positive alternative to watch rather than all the negativity/crime/violence/mean-girlness, etc. on most of the other channels.
    Debb70 likes this.

FORT Fogey

I think that Rosie's show was probably cancelled because of both the ratings and the behind-the-scenes drama. Oprah wanted the show so she could use the studio space and many of the employees who had worked on Oprah's show in Chicago. Rosie never warmed up to the idea of doing the show from Chicago. If the show was delivering big ratings, and giving people a reason to watch OWN and discover more shows on OWN, she probably could have used that to get them to agree to move the show to New York. But when it didn't deliver ratings and was possibly not going to use the studio space and employees Oprah was going to save, there was no reason to keep it around. You know what I think Oprah should do with the space now? Give a show to Guilliana Rancic. With everything that has happened in her life in the past few years, she's got a voice that a lot of women would listen to. Then, OWN could get promotion on E. And, Guilliana and Bill could move to Chicago full time so that both of them were happy.

I am really amazed that OWN is said to not being doing well. How can this be? Why can all these other networks make it just fine? There is the History channel, History II, Turner Classic Movies, Spike, etc. Why is it that Oprah, one of the most intelligent and creative women in the world can't make hers work? I don't get it.
    Imperfect1 likes this.

FORT Fogey

I think that OWN is doing as well as any of the networks you listed. I read somewhere that the ratings are up slightly from when it was Discovery Health. People just thought that because it was Oprah, it would be doing a lot better. They thought it would be like the well-known cable networks like Lifetime and TNT, instead of like the little specialty networks that have small audiences.
    Debb70 likes this.

Because IMO Oprah was an afternoon show, not an entire network. Yes she had a following of women, not many men. I am not an Oprah fan and think Rosie needs to be off my TV.
    french dip and Fanny Mare like this.
    There's no place like home!

I read somewhere that some Rosie staffers from the show that was cancelled are badmouthing her. I won't repeat it here. It doesn't really matter, but I don't fault her for trying to make the show better. Maybe OWN could use some changes.

Pretty in-depth article about Rosie's cancellation and what went wrong: Rosie O'Donnellís Disastrous Oprah Winfrey Network Experience

I don't fault Rosie for wanting to improve her show, but I DO fault her if she treated people as poorly as has been reported (and not just with this show). There's a nice way to do everything and there's a not nice way too. From all reports, it sounds like Rosie's way is the latter.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Pretty in-depth article about Rosie's cancellation and what went wrong: Rosie O'Donnell’s Disastrous Oprah Winfrey Network Experience

I don't fault Rosie for wanting to improve her show, but I DO fault her if she treated people as poorly as has been reported (and not just with this show). There's a nice way to do everything and there's a not nice way too. From all reports, it sounds like Rosie's way is the latter.
    Oprah thanked Rosie and said she worked so hard and did her best to deliver a great show. IT was the ratings. Here's a link:

Oprah Winfrey OWN Network Fires 30 Staff Members, Christian News

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Oprah thanked Rosie and said she worked so hard and did her best to deliver a great show. IT was the ratings. Here's a link:

Oprah Winfrey OWN Network Fires 30 Staff Members, Christian News
    Not to be a cynic, but what else was Oprah going to say? It's like the announcement that celeb couples release when they're divorcing to make it seem like everything is amicable.

Based on things I've read about Oprah's reactions when visiting Rosie's set, Oprah was not happy. If the show was so great, it probably wouldn't have been canceled. If Oprah thought the she was terrific, she probably would have given it more time. The truth is that the show kept floundering and Rosie seemed to be grasping for ways to "fix" it - changing sets, formats, etc. The reviews were always pretty bad. I enjoyed the few episodes I saw, but I also never remembered the show was on. The episodes I saw were ones I stumbled upon.

This was a mercy killing.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast