+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: The Rosie Show

Re: The Rosie Show

The negative stories about Rosie don't really affect whether I'm going to watch her show or not either. I enjoy the format and have been watching when I remember that it's on. I think she asks good questions and the interviews I've watched I've enjoyed. My only complaint really is that they start rolling the credits sometimes just when the interview is getting good. It's happened a few times where they get on an interesting topic and then there come the credits!

I always thought Rosie's previous talk show was a departure for her, personality-wise. That whole "Queen of Nice" thing seemed odd to me, since it didn't jibe with her stand-up, which was often kind of rude and abrasive. I couldn't understand why they cast her as this big sweetheart on that show because it didn't seem genuine to me. I guess daytime talk show hosts aren't allowed to have an edge
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

I caught her show for the first time last night (6 p.m. EDT), and I really enjoyed it despite the fact that I'm not a Suzanne Somers fan. The conversational format is a great innovation, imo. It's a custom fit for Rosie.
    Shoepie likes this.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Rosie fails again...

Rosie O'Donnell's show canceled

No loss as far as I'm concerned.
    captain, momrek06, Kiz and 1 others like this.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

FORT Fogey

I am not surprised it was cancelled. It was limiting in that you had to be interested in what her guests had to say. Her original format, behind a desk, worked. She had crafts, games, guests in shorter spots and a lot more. If it isn't broken don't fix it, fits here. She should have revised her old show with a new set and kept the varied content.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    I am not surprised it was cancelled. It was limiting in that you had to be interested in what her guests had to say. Her original format, behind a desk, worked. She had crafts, games, guests in shorter spots and a lot more. If it isn't broken don't fix it, fits here. She should have revised her old show with a new set and kept the varied content.
    I think it was broken - they changed the format in an attempt to cut production costs because she wasn't getting the ratings. That formula worked for her old talk show, but it just didn't work on OWN.

I'm sorry to see her canceled, because I enjoyed the new format. I think she's a good interviewer (better than Ellen, for sure), so I enjoyed the show even if I wasn't a huge fan of the guest. It reminded me of Whoopi's old talk show where it was just her and a guest talking for a half hour show.

Based on the recent media stories, I'd guess her staff probably isn't all that disappointed, aside from the bummer of not having a job.
    Debb70 likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I think it was broken - they changed the format in an attempt to cut production costs because she wasn't getting the ratings. That formula worked for her old talk show, but it just didn't work on OWN.

I'm sorry to see her canceled, because I enjoyed the new format. I think she's a good interviewer (better than Ellen, for sure), so I enjoyed the show even if I wasn't a huge fan of the guest. It reminded me of Whoopi's old talk show where it was just her and a guest talking for a half hour show.

Based on the recent media stories, I'd guess her staff probably isn't all that disappointed, aside from the bummer of not having a job.
    I meant her original show many years ago when I was speaking of a format that worked. When she started on OWN the format was not good; that was her second show.
    AlwaysVeg likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    I meant her original show many years ago when I was speaking of a format that worked. When she started on OWN the format was not good; that was her second show.
    I thought that, when the show premiered on OWN, she copied the format of her first talk show with the audience and the desk. I only watched it once of twice before this new format, so maybe I'm not remembering it correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I thought that, when the show premiered on OWN, she copied the format of her first talk show with the audience and the desk. I only watched it once of twice before this new format, so maybe I'm not remembering it correctly.
    When it originally premiered on OWN there was a monologue with interaction with the audience, and no desk. She sat on chairs facing the guest on other chairs. I prefer the desk.

I liked her first show, years ago.
    Shoepie and Debb70 like this.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood View Post
    When it originally premiered on OWN there was a monologue with interaction with the audience, and no desk. She sat on chairs facing the guest on other chairs. I prefer the desk.

I liked her first show, years ago.
    Ah, okay. I must have not been paying attention. Maybe they were trying to make it like Ellen's show?

I don't think the failure had everything to do with Rosie. I mean, up until a few months ago, I never even knew I HAD OWN on my cable lineup and maybe I didn't. I'm sure MANY people still don't get OWN. Also, it sort of feels like a daytime show - although less so now than before - and it airs at what? 7 pm? I just don't think the audience for that show would be tuning in at 7 pm. It needed to either be an afternoon show or a late night show.

It seems like Rosie might be relieved about the cancellation, especially in light of the fact that she wanted to take the show to NY.

FORT Fogey

OWN took over the Discovery Health channel and most of that programing still exists. It is an odd mix of Oprah trying to change lives and a bunch of odd stuff like Mystery Diagnosis. Her sense of self importance is doing her in. Sure she has inspired many but that happened spontaneously. Not a planned 'you listen to me' and tune in to see Maya Angelou spout truths that have been part of our spiritual culture since the begining of time.

Often an interview with say, Julia Roberts, would provide an ah ha moment for some. Her value is not in teaching but being herself in all types of programing. She doesn't see this. She is not an avatar. She is a woman who understands the nature of reality and projects that by just being herself. Lecturing is not working for her.
    Uncle David and AlwaysVeg like this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast