+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Awake - Thursdays NBC

Re: Awake - Thursdays NBC

Just before she froze, it seemed to me that she mentioned something about 'turtles all the way down'--the title of the episode--because he was not accepting the reality she was in. No idea what that meant.

Here's a wiki on the "tutles all the way down" Turtles all the way down - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia It doesn't really help me a whole lot Just to make me more confused.

I was good with him accepting to continue in one reality over the other (who'd want to be stuck in prison/possibly facing death). But then the whole third reality and the talk about it being a dream within a dream was too much! Especially when it's not coming back. I hope the creators/writers explain themselves.
    cablejockey likes this.

While I did not understand the explanation on wiki, going by the first story makes it sound like dream upon dream upon dream.

I am so happy that I am not the only one confused by the ending.
    cablejockey likes this.

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

We just watched it and I think it was a dream within a dream, which is what he was talking about when the therapist was frozen. I think that's why both Hannah and Rex made points of saying they thought he was going to sleep the whole day.

I think if they had gone through with a second season, it might've been a rewind and we might've seen what led him to investigate them the year before the accident (or however long it was that he investigated that place). Perhaps knowing the ending would've changed how things happened or maybe they would've led to the accident. That would've made for an interesting second season... But since we're not getting a second season, I'm glad to see they're all alive in the end. And I don't know if it was part of the show or not, but I noticed that Hannah was pregnant...
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

Here's what could have been for season 2 Awake Series Finale -- Burning Questions Answered by Kyle Killen - TVLine

I'm not sure I completely understand the direction it was headed or the "end" game of the show, but it certainly would have been interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_angel View Post
    Here's what could have been for season 2 Awake Series Finale -- Burning Questions Answered by Kyle Killen - TVLine

I'm not sure I completely understand the direction it was headed or the "end" game of the show, but it certainly would have been interesting.
    Wow, that was more confusing than the actual ending. I think I need more coffee.

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Wow, he cracked so much he made a third reality where everyone was okay. (at least that's what I got from the article.). I'm so bummed it's cancelled, I would've loved to have seen where they wanted to take it...
    Florimel likes this.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

Finale clarity from interiew, Awake Series Finale -- Burning Questions Answered by Kyle Killen - TVLine :

General Show Premise: Britten experienced car crash that caused him to have Mental break that caused his mind to form an alternate dream reality that he experiences as if he was awake. In each reality one of of his family members survives the crash. Red reality his wife survives and Green reality his son survives. Which is the real reality and which is the alternate dream reality?

Finale Premise: Britten, in order to be able to catch the person who responsible for things behind his accident, must choose the Green reality as the real reality wife his wife being dead. In the moment he accepts it temporarily to catch the person. However, afterwards, when Dr. Evans reiterates to him that the Red reality is a dream and his wife is dead, his mind can't accept it and he has another mental break that creates a third reality which is another dream. The 3rd reality, I'll call the 'Happily Ever After' reality, has both Rex and his wife alive.

Second Season Premise & Subtext of Finale: Even though most people thought the finale made it seem like the Green reality was the real reality, in the 2nd season the debate over which reality was real, Red or Green, would continue. The 'Happily Ever After' reality was going to be a new reality where, either in the Red or Green reality, instead of going to sleep and waking up in the Green or Red reality respectively Britten would be dreaming and experiencing the new 3rd reality. TPTB wanted to use the 'Happily Ever After' reality to show more psychotic, crazy elements less based in the more grounded realities of red & green.

So, in the Red versus Green being real reality scenario Britten is still in prison in the red reality and everything that happened in the green reality was him dreaming in the 3rd 'Happily Ever After'' reality he caught the person responsible because he couldn't mentally bare the thought of not catching her. In real life the actress who played Britten' wife so happened to be pregnant when they filmed the finale. In the second season they were going to use her real life pregnancy to play the 2 realities against each other.

Much like the Rex is alive versus wife alive & Rex's girlfriend is pregnant versus Rex' girlfriend miscarries, it was going to be baby versus babe in the 2nd season. They were going to have Britten's wife unexpectedly pregnant in the 'Happily Ever After' reality versus Britten moving on and dating the hot babe, Rex's tennis coach Tara. The Tara relationship they had always planned for and dropped hints about this season, which I personally was excited about. They had planned to show it more by the end of the season but they didn't get a chance to and were going to go fully into it in the second season.

Hope that clarifies things for some!

So is that saying that the green reality with his son alive and his wife dead is the real reality and the third happily ever after reality is a dream?

+ Reply to Thread