+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Life's Too Short (BBC series airing on HBO)

Life's Too Short (BBC series airing on HBO)

Life's Too Short is a BBC "mockumentary" now airing on HBO. It was created by (and also features) Ricky Gervais and Steven Merchant (An Idiot Abroad). The show follows British actor Warwick Davis (Willow, Harry Potter movies, Star Wars movies, etc) as he tries to stay in the limelight. There are planned appearances by a ton of huge names (like Johnny Depp and Steve Carrell) .

Two episodes have aired so far, but I am behind and just watched the first one last night. The humor was almost entirely deadpan and I thought it was hilarious! Warwick and the people he interacted with were all great. However, the BEST was the appearance by Liam Neeson. He came to Ricky and Steven and announced he wanted to work in stand-up comedy and what followed was absolutely brilliant!!
    I hope the rest of this show lives up to the first episode!

Re: Life's Too Short (BBC series airing on HBO)

Well, it looks like no one else is watching this show yet!

In an effort to lure you in, here is a clip featuring the appearance by Liam Neeson that I mentioned above. I have convinced a couple of local people to check it out based on this segment!
    Liam Neeson improv with Ricky Gervais, Stephen Merchant and Warwick Davis on Life's Too Short

I do not subscribe to HBO and usually wait the the DVDs to come out, although that may change. I definitely want to see this show when I can. I loved Ricky Gervais' original British version of The Office and of Extras, which seems similar in theme to this new one.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

I had not heard of this show. Will have to check it out on HBO Go. Thanks!
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

I enjoyed the first two episodes. I loved the bit with Johnny Depp.

This show ended up being a huge disappointment for me. It started out strong, but the dwarf jokes just got old after a while. There were still moments of solid humor. For example, I liked his assistant through the whole show, and the bit where he had the peep hole on his door moved. However, some of the ongoing story lines (the ex-wife and her lawyer, his accountant, and how he kept botching up things with the woman he was dating) were just horribly painful to watch.

+ Reply to Thread