+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Luck on HBO

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: Luck on HBO

I played out after the first episode. I thought I'd at least try episode 2, but it just never happened for me. Don't feel like I've missed a thing. Got more enjoyment out of rewatching re-air of first season of Game of Thrones.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Luck was short by HBO standards--only 9 episodes. I made it through four and got fed up with the erratic pacing, the constant mumbling, and the lack of compelling characters (I don't have to like them, I just need to be interested). I'm glad HBO cancelled it for both the creative failure and for the prevention of further needless horse death.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

“It is with heartbreak that executive producers David Milch and Michael Mann together with HBO have decided to cease all future production on the series ‘Luck,’” HBO wrote in a statement late Wednesday afternoon.

Milch — creator of HBO’s “Deadwood” — and film director Mann are known for hard-charging and somewhat obsessive work habits as well as an uncompromising creative style.

Initially, HBO agreed to halt the filming of scenes involving horses pending an investigation into the latest animal death and sought to refute the accusations of poor work conditions for the animals: “Recent assertions of lax attitudes or negligence could not be further from the truth.” The network said it partnered with the American Humane Assn., as well as with racing experts, “to implement safety protocols that go above and beyond typical film and TV industry standards and practices.”

In making the cancellation decision, however, the network bowed to the uncertainty inherent in working with live animals — especially when a safety record is already under scrutiny. “While we maintained the highest safety standards possible,” HBO said in a statement, “accidents unfortunately happen and it is impossible to guarantee they won’t in the future.”
    HBO's 'Luck' runs out of luck - latimes.com
    momrek06 likes this.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

When I posted yesterday, I didn't realize that the plug had been totally been pulled on this show until this morning. No loss there!

Milch is getting exactly what he deserves for doing away with "Deadwood" the in which way he did. HA!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Kiz

If the response to the show from FoRT members is any indication, it was tanking anyway.

'Luck' Director Michael Mann Blames TMZ for Killing Show | TMZ.com

Director Michael Mann straight up LIED to the cast and crew of "Luck" yesterday ... insisting the reason the show got cancelled is because TMZ "unfairly spun" the story about a THIRD horse dying on set. ...snip...
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

It was definitely not well received. I stuck with it but, despite having a good story to tell, it was pretty to torturous to watch. HBO, though, had already greenlighted its second season.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Quote Originally Posted by Kiz View Post
    If the response to the show from FoRT members is any indication, it was tanking anyway.

'Luck' Director Michael Mann Blames TMZ for Killing Show | TMZ.com
    I saw that article on TMZ earlier. So much for Mann and Milch taking some responsibility. I like how TMZ shut their argument down:
    Mann and producer David Milch addressed the staff right after HBO pulled the plug on the show yesterday ... and explained, "If you take a look at the media coverage that has been spun unfairly. If you saw the media coverage ... It's TMZ and everybody else."

Let's take a look at the facts ...

-- THREE horses died on their watch. No spin.
    -- Horse #3 was euthanized on the set ... and production continued a few hours later
    -- Publicist Karen Jones initially LIED to TMZ about the story ... in an effort to stall us from publishing.
    Really, how can you "spin" the death of a horse? They just stated the facts.

I thought this was an interesting article: Seitz: What Could Luck’s Cancellation Mean for Game of Thrones’ Horses?
    Maybe if Luck had been a huge hit like GOT, we wouldn't be discussing its cancellation
    Kiz likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Very informative article, Critical. Thanks for the link

I knew next to nothing about thoroughbred racing before this series. In an attempt to even begin to understand some of the strategies used by the breeders and bettors in the story - and the insurace rules (!) - I read up a little on it.

The sport is extremely dangerous to horses and, even with the very best care and treatment, horses die at racetracks every year. Young, healthy 2 yr. olds! What is deemed "best of care" for racehorses includes many, many drugs being administered to them. I have to suspect that the drugs they are fed contribute to accidents at the tracks.

These are the finest and best of thoroughbreds. As point out in the Vulture article, HBO wasn't (and could not) use racehorses of their caliber and, it's logical to assume that posed an even greater risk to them.

I can't imagine that the horses we see on GoT are subjected to the kind of stressors that thoroughbred raceshorses face. I'm going to feel sad for the Night Watch if horses are banned from show.

Here are a couple links about racehorse death that I found interesting:

US:

CHAI - Horse Racing - the Horror Behind the Glamour

UK:

Race Horse Death Watch

I don't think this will affect GOT at all. The horses they use aren't racehorses and aren't subjected to the stress that racehorses are. I think thoroughbreds are more delicate.

I find horse racing horrifying and I can't watch it. Like I mentioned above, HBO aired a documentary about horse racing a few years ago and it made me even less of a fan. The dangers to the health of the riders and to the horses is just too much. The doc included footage of at least one gruesome horse injury that I, unfortunately, didn't look away from quickly enough. It still makes me sick to think about. To me, it just seems like people using those beautiful animals for profit and then tossing them away like they're disposable.

I was surprised that HBO was airing Luck after having aired that documentary.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123