+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Luck on HBO

Re: Luck on HBO

Great recap/insight Poppy. I'm just not sure if it's enough to hold me. I agree that episode 2 was better, but for me it's still not keeping me interested.

I've given it a 3rd and final shot. I realized halfway through the recorded episode that I wasn't watching it and had no idea how it got that far. To that end, I'm done with it.

I'm continued to be surprise that it's been renewed already!

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

I fell sound asleep 5 minutes into episode 3! Obviously, it didn't hold my attention. I'll will watch it on HBOGO and try to catch up.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

HBO has suspended the filming of horses on Luck following the death of a third horse.

'Luck': HBO Suspends Filming With Horses After Another Horse Death
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields View Post
    HBO has suspended the filming of horses on Luck following the death of a third horse.

'Luck': HBO Suspends Filming With Horses After Another Horse Death
    Yes, it was all over our News last night (living here in SoCali) BUT I did hear this morning that filming is back on.

I tried watching LUCK gave it three epi's and did not care for it DH&I were, quite frankly, bored with it.

'Luck' continues filming after third horse dies - CNN.com
    KAREN

Quote Originally Posted by momrek06 View Post
    Yes, it was all over our News last night (living here in SoCali) BUT I did hear this morning that filming is back on.

I tried watching LUCK gave it three epi's and did not care for it DH&I were, quite frankly, bored with it.

'Luck' continues filming after third horse dies - CNN.com
    Both of those articles say the same thing: they suspended filming with horses, but have kept filming other scenes. They never stopped filming. Apparently, right after the accident, they directed the crew and cast to head to another shooting location.

This is why I've never watched the show. I still feel scarred after watching that horrifying documentary HBO aired a few years ago about horse racing, which included the most gruesome video of a horse injury, I can't really watch anything with horses. That's why Warhorse is the only Best Picture Oscar nominee this year that I didn't see.

I thought that, if Luck got great reviews, I'd give it a try on DVD. Based on some of the comments in this thread, I guess I'm not missing much. I love Dustin Hoffman and like many of the other actors, but I can see them in other things. I'd be surprised if this gets renewed for a second season.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

The subject of lives at a racetrack aren't inherently interesting to me, but I thought there was a lot that could be done with it.

What bothered me the most was the pacing. It was so incredibly slow! I'd get up 1/4 of the way through and completely forget I was watching it.

Kiz

I couldn't get into the show myself, but it's been cancelled according to this article from TMZ.

HBO Cancels 'Luck' After 3rd Horse Death | TMZ.com
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

Agreed - horse racing is exciting with great characters. However 'Luck' has none of that. Snoozefest indeed. Really sad three horses died for this show.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

Wow, this is strange. According to this article, the show was in the middle of shooting its second season: HBO cancels 'Luck' after horse deaths – The Marquee Blog - CNN.com Blogs
    I don't think I've ever heard of a NEW show starting filming on its second season before the first season is even finished airing, especially when the season is probably only 10-12 episodes (most shows on HBO are). Renewed, yes. Filming? No.

I'm glad HBO came to its senses and canceled the show.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast