+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516171819 LastLast
Like Tree76Likes

Thread: 2012 Golden Globe Awards

FORT Fogey

Re: 2012 Golden Globe Awards

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    Oh dear, Natalie Portman left the hanger in the skirt of her dress.
    No kidding. How do you suppose she sat in that thing? Did it fold up somehow and then pop back into position once she stood up?

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by bee stung lips View Post
    I think so too...and not sure what she's doing to her skin, but her sin looks pretty good for a fifty-something year old too.
    Okay, I know it's just an innocent, completely accidental typo, but considering it's Madonna, I did have to laugh at the idea of her "sin" looking pretty good for a fifty-something.
    YorkieMom and bee stung lips like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bee stung lips View Post
    I think so too...and not sure what she's doing to her skin, but her sin looks pretty good for a fifty-something year old too.
    Face lift. It does wonders

Best Picture, Drama......

The Descendants

I haven't seen any of the nominated films, but this one is on my list.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

CCL

Was that the George Clooney one? It was good but I wouldn't say it was best-picture good. Who were the other nominees?
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    Was that the George Clooney one? It was good but I wouldn't say it was best-picture good. Who were the other nominees?
    I dont think this was a vey good movie.It was meh

I cant even recall the others, so I guess Clooneys was the best of the bunch.I am not a fan of his.

Poor Meryl , she's so class\y I love Helen Mirren as well

Fonda looks good, thought Angelina looked way too thin, her dress was way too tight and it was ugly fugly

I think Ricky had been told to tone it down, dang! it was a bit of a snorefest for me.I love how Madonna now has a quasi english accent, Madge as had some major work done blech

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    You MUST see HomelandKelsey Grammer's acting style is bombastic. I think he's just creepy and gross. He keeps discarding wives and getting younger ones. I don't know why any woman would find him attractive even with all of the money. For me, there isn't enough money in the world. Yuck.
    I saw (on MSNBC, maybe?) that his latest wife is now pregnant.

BTW, did anyone else notice that Piper Perabo's dress was see-thru? (The skirt, that is)

And like everyone else, I'd love to see more color, and I sometimes wonder just what some of the women were thinking. But I'm probably not the best judge...after all, I spend all day in either jeans or sweats ;-)

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    Okay, I know it's just an innocent, completely accidental typo, but considering it's Madonna, I did have to laugh at the idea of her "sin" looking pretty good for a fifty-something.
    lololol! I was none the wiser when I typed that...hehehe!
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

I was glad to read these posts about The Descendents. I had heard such great things about it but I wasn't impressed at all. Just sort of hum-drum to me. George was ok in it but it wasn't a difficult role to play. I've seen him do others where he's much more of a standout. Basically, I think George is just pretty and nice to see on the big screen but nothing great. Nor bad either.
    Sometimes I think these actors/actresses win awards because it's their "time." I felt that way about Halle Berry also.
    But then maybe I'm just cynical about these celebs.
    Wish Ricky had really given to them like he did last time. I prefer him pointing out the obvious, which all the actors don't like anyone saying, even though we all think it.
    Fanny Mare likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    I was glad to read these posts about The Descendents. I had heard such great things about it but I wasn't impressed at all. Just sort of hum-drum to me. George was ok in it but it wasn't a difficult role to play. I've seen him do others where he's much more of a standout. Basically, I think George is just pretty and nice to see on the big screen but nothing great. Nor bad either.
    Sometimes I think these actors/actresses win awards because it's their "time." I felt that way about Halle Berry also.
    But then maybe I'm just cynical about these celebs.
    Wish Ricky had really given to them like he did last time. I prefer him pointing out the obvious, which all the actors don't like anyone saying, even though we all think it.
    I felt that way about Sandra Bullock too. When she asked in her acceptance speech if she deserved it or she'd just worn them down, I voted for option b! I have to say though, I do love a Clooney acceptance speech. He's always entertaining.

I think Fassbender probably gave the best performance of the year, at least out of the men in that category. It's just not the type of role that gets votes. I think the voters often go for performances in movies that make them feel good OR to actors for a body of work. Hence, Sandra Bullock, Al Pacino in Scent of a Woman (let's be honest, he deserves an Oscar, but not for that movie), Paul Newman for The Color of Money and so many others. Heck, put Julia Roberts on that list too. I thought Annette Bening didn't deserve all the nominations for The Kids Are Alright last year. She was good, but Julianne Moore gave the performance in that movie. Bening didn't deserve the GG last year - hands down, it should have gone to Emma Stone.

Conclusion? It's all a popularity contest! It's like high school with more expensive clothes.

I was happy about Idris Elba, Peter Dinklage, Downton Abbey, Christopher Plummer and the wins for Homeland (although I was hoping it would take both lead acting categories and Game of Thrones would win for best drama). I'm also thrilled that Octavia Spencer is getting some success. I've been a fan for a while and I'm so happy she's been "discovered!" Kelsey Grammer was a head-scratcher, for sure.

ETA: You just know Kris Jenner is going to be all whiny in the media about Ricky Gervais picking on her daughter.
    Last edited by Critical; 01-16-2012 at 02:38 AM.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

Charlize Theron looked stunning and gets the best dressed award from me.

I would love to know what Ricki and Meryl said during their several second censor. I loved what Meryl wore and I usually don't. She goes for modest and last night she did not look dumpy.

I "liked" every post that commented on Brad and Angie. Enough, they are just not all that! I am sick to death of them and her dress was terrible.

Ricki had very little airtime. His hosting job must have been the easiest in the history of award show hosts. Probably intentional.

It appeared that Natalie and Angie wore the same designer. The swipe of darker color at the top was the same.

Critical, loved your comment, 'dragged throught the hedge hair!' Hysterical. That is the look now and it is difficult for older actors to pull that off. They just look haggard.

Madonna. She was not prepared, arrogant as always and her dress was terrible.

Very few of them who presented or accepted were witty or interesting. George Clooney was the exception, as he always is. Loved his acceptance speech. I wish they would make a rule that no one is allowed to thank anyone. They are all had the best cast and crew EVER and are grateful for all who particiapted in the movie; make that a given. It makes the show drag and viewers don't know most of those mentioned anyway. Those in the audience know who worked on the movie and don't need to hear a list.

I like the Golden Globes better than the Oscars because of the table seating and the shots of the actors talking amongest themselves. It is more relaxed.

Love Jody Foster and her boys are adorable. They look just like her, as someone already noted. I also loved her hair!

Kelly Osborne's hair is unfortunate but her love of the edgy and odd drives her train. I don't expect her to have a normal color for a very long time. When she moves on from the blue/gray we may think it was the better choice!

+ Reply to Thread