+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Portlandia

Portlandia

Is anybody watching this? The second season started last week and it's better than the first.

Re: Portlandia

Yes, I am watching and think that season 2 is much more developed and it is working for me. Nevermind that I was born in Portland and happen to think that it is a wonderful place. This show is funny, surprising and I can't wait for next week! I download the episodes on itunes as I don't get this channel on my tv. I loved the mixologist. And this week's episode about Battlestar Galactica was an interesting commentary on taking in a whole series on dvd - how many of you have been sucked in by that? It will be entertaining to see who shows up in each episode. Can you pickle it?

Here is a little info on the show so far:

Episode 1 -
    Local artisan curators Lisa and Bryce realize that they can pickle everything; Fred helps Carrie chase a romantic mixologist (Andy Samberg) who forgets his roots when he moves from Portland to LA; Fred and Carrie stop to eat at a theme restaurant with a difficult waiter (Kumail Nanjiani); Kath and Dave's emergency signals are tested when they go river rafting; Feminist shopkeepers Toni and Candice teach an A/C repairman about the "phallus" and "opposite of a phallus" inside all of us.
    Episode 2 -
    All allergy conditions are represented in Portland's annual Allergy Pride Parade; A couple’s lives spin out of control when they run out of new episodes to watch of Battlestar Galactica; The owner of a knot store (Jeff Goldblum) sees an increase in business after a write-up in the Sunday New York Times; Malcolm and Kris, an upper middle-aged banal couple, install a backyard fire pit; Carrie's romantic life turns bumpy when it turns out the guy she likes has a bad tattoo (Eddie Vedder).

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I just saw a very postive review of this...so maybe ratings will get a bump....my mom's family was from Portland so I've visited there often...great city.

Quote Originally Posted by Cootie View Post
    And this week's episode about Battlestar Galactica was an interesting commentary on taking in a whole series on dvd - how many of you have been sucked in by that? It will be entertaining to see who shows up in each episode.
    I lost a whole weekend to season one of "Mad Men." The Battlestar Galactica skit was hilarious. Loved Ronald D. Moore.

I think they are off to a great start this season. Just reading the episode descriptions up thread is making me chuckle. I can't wait to watch them again with my daughter. She will love them. I am not sure what my son would think as he lives in Portland and tends to be the skeptical and harsh critic. They definitely go too far from time to time where the humor is lost, like when they followed the mixologist. And when they were pickling everything. But despite the fact that the pickle feature went on too long in my opinion, I do want to keep saying, "can you pickle it?" or "let's pickle it!" So they've got me. And I love the characters they are portraying this year.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Does anyone know if Season 1 is out on DVD? I've got some family members to send it to!

I just checked on Amazon. The DVD was released on Dec 11, 2011.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Cootie View Post
    I just checked on Amazon. The DVD was released on Dec 11, 2011.
    Thanks! I looked on Amazon, but couldn't figure out if any of those things were an official release...now that I have a date to look for that should help.

+ Reply to Thread