+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: House of Lies (Showtime)

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

House of Lies (Showtime)

This new comedy premieres on Showtime at 10 p.m. tomorrow (Sunday, 1/8). I've read some promising reviews and heard one yesterday on NPR. Looks interesting, so I'll be tuning. Anyone else?

Don Cheadle swims with the sharks in 'House of Lies' - latimes.com

If you don't subscribe to Showtime, I believe they are currently streaming the premieres of both this new comeday and Californication on sho.com.
    Last edited by Poppy Fields; 01-07-2012 at 08:12 PM.

Re: House of Lies (Showtime)

I'll definitely be watching The cast alone is enough for me. I've been a fan of Don Cheadle since his "Picket Fences" days, and Kristen Bell? I still miss "Veronica Mars"
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

I liked this one a lot! Parts of it were really funny, and I actually liked the breakaways where Kahn speaks directly to the camera. Usually I find that kind of distracting, but it worked here. The premise is quite timely as well. It is definitely a Showtime comedy, so you don't want to watch if there's a chance the kids will be popping in though. I don't think I'll be able to watch Naomi's rival on 90210 (can't think of her name) in quite the same way again
    Poppy Fields likes this.
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

I liked it a lot, too! This kind of dark comedy appeals to me and this cast brings it! I'm hooked. The breakway mini-pauses were effective - but I hope they don't overdo them!

The scene with the two wives in the ladies room had me spitting out my ice tea with laughter. Definitely a Showtime comedy. I liked that they grouped it with Shameless and Californication, too. It makes for a quirky 1.5 hours of quirky adult humor.
    Last edited by Poppy Fields; 01-09-2012 at 08:57 AM.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

I liked it quite a bit as well--a fun half-hour, some laugh out loud moments, and a great cast. I didn't like the breakaway pauses though. It reminded me too much of the first season of Sex & the City when Carrie would talk into the camear.

ohhhhhhhhhhh! that wasssssssssss her - just with more hair!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Katydyd View Post
    I don't think I'll be able to watch Naomi's rival on 90210 (can't think of her name) in quite the same way again

Quote Originally Posted by buttahfly View Post
    ohhhhhhhhhhh! that wasssssssssss her - just with more hair!!!!!!
    More hair....less clothes
    Desiderata

Just watched the premiere and LOVED IT! I love me some Don Cheadle and am a big Kristen Bell fan, so I'm thrilled to see them together and pleasantly surprised at how great their chemistry is! I actually liked the pauses and Kaan speaking to the camera, even if it did remind me of SATC. Of course, I like Don Cheadle a lot more than I like Sarah Jessica Parker!

I doubt it's a long term role, but I'd love to see Anna Camp again. That scene in the restaurant was a riot! Someone needs to give her a series. She is hilarious in everything!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Anyone still watching this? The breakaways have kind of grown on me, but something seems weird about the tone. Sometimes it's flat out screw-ball comedy (like the sex room scene last night), sometimes it's raunchy work place comedy (raunch is not a derrogatory word there), sometimes is sad & emotional (like the mother suicide issues, the talk with the boss), & sometimes it's just plain odd (I really don't know what they're trying to do with the son). Obviously shows can have different tones (heck, even Community can have a sweet moment and it's fairly out there), but this kind of feels like it's pinging all over the place inside 30 minutes. That said, I still love the cast and will keep watching. It might just need to find its legs.

i'm watching . . . . it is a bit all over the place, but i think that's to get us used to all the players.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl View Post
    Anyone still watching this? The breakaways have kind of grown on me, but something seems weird about the tone. Sometimes it's flat out screw-ball comedy (like the sex room scene last night), sometimes it's raunchy work place comedy (raunch is not a derrogatory word there), sometimes is sad & emotional (like the mother suicide issues, the talk with the boss), & sometimes it's just plain odd (I really don't know what they're trying to do with the son). Obviously shows can have different tones (heck, even Community can have a sweet moment and it's fairly out there), but this kind of feels like it's pinging all over the place inside 30 minutes. That said, I still love the cast and will keep watching. It might just need to find its legs.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast