+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: The NEW CBS Morning Show w/Charlie Rose

The NEW CBS Morning Show w/Charlie Rose

I happened to catch Dr. Phil today and discovered the news about the new CBS Morning Show. It will feature Charlie Rose, Gayle King and Erica Hill. I was super happy to hear that Charlie would be on board, but Gayle King? Really? I love Gayle, but have never thought she was cut out for television. I don't know much about the Hill woman.

Here is an article about the new attempt to bring CBS morning show out from the bottom. I noticed there were some snarky comments about Charlie Rose below the article. I'm not sure why. Charlie is well respected in his field and he gets interviews from people all around the world, because they like him and want to be interviewed by him.
    Will Charlie Rose Rise And Shine For CBS? : NPR

Did I mention Charlie is from my hometown? I guess I'm a little biased. LOL It will interesting to see how this turns out.
    Last edited by Debb70; 01-04-2012 at 04:49 PM.

Re: The NEW CBS Morning Show w/Charlie Rose

Gayle worked in TV news for almost 20 years, so I'd say she's qualified!
    Shoepie and Fanny Mare like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

What time is this going to be on? I have a routine on my mornings off and watch Let's Make a Deal and then The Price is Right.... I'm wondering if one of them is being moved to a later time.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

It's going to be the regular morning news show running what 6am - 9am. Charlie Ross will do the first hour serious news and then Gayle and the other take over the fluff part.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Fogey

I'll probably stick with the Today show, but having Charlie Rose do the whole first hour by himself would be a mistake, IMO. He's a credible newsman, for sure, but he puts me to sleep. I don't want to fall back asleep right after I get up.

I think the point was ti distinguish themselves from the other 2 morning shows and have serious and fluffy sides.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Fogey

They could still have a serious new hour pairing him with a serious newswoman. Plus, the networks are always complaining about wanting/needing a younger demographic, so they really need to pair him with someone who can attract that. I'm sure there must be some, but I don't know any Charlie Rose fans under the age of 50 or 60 ... and 50 might be on the young side. I think CBS is committing morning show suicide.
    Last edited by AlwaysVeg; 01-05-2012 at 07:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysVeg View Post
    They could still have a serious new hour pairing him with a serious newswoman. Plus, the networks are always complaining about wanting/needing a younger demographic, so they really need to pair him with someone who can attract that. I'm sure there must be some, but I don't know any Charlie Rose fans under the age of 50 or 60 ... and 50 might be on the young side. I think CBS is committing morning show suicide.
    I've always wondered about the powers that be with CBS, but I guess they figure they have no where to go but up with their ratings at this point. LOL

I realize Gayle has had a radio show and a tv show for years, but I have never understood why. I know that Oprah, her best friend, was responsible for some of it. I can understand that, but I don't think Gayle would have had the success she has had, if not for Oprah.

One thing about Gayle that annoys me is her continual use of words that are not words. Apparantly, she makes up words for her own amusement and uses them to entertain her audience. I don't get it. It is not amusing to me at all.

I hope I will like the show. I think it starts at 7:00 a.m. I have never liked the silly, dilly type antics that we see on Good Morning America. When Diane Sawyer was on there, she and the other female host would almost do cartwheels to excite the audience. Often it appeared they were trying to entertain a kindergartener's birthday party rather than host the news. I was so glad to see her leave that show. But then they replace her with some air head who acts like she's on speed or something. Poor George is lost there now. What a waste.

Rumor is that Lowery will leave The Today Show and Ryan Seacrest is being considered. Uggggghhhhh.

Okay, I've tried to watch this new morning news show, but it's not easy. The format is quite odd. Everyone is sitting around a round table and the camera swings a lot. It kind of makes you dizzy.

I have read some pretty horrible comments from viewers this week. Apparently, I'm not the only one who was shocked Gayle King was given the position. I'm afraid the comments about her are the worst. Most wonder what in the world CBS was thinking with this concept. I suspect it will go down faster than it popped up. I guess they all have contracts though. It will be interesting to see how they back out of this thing. I'm sorry to see it. I really like Charlie and hate to see this happen to him. Maybe, they can revamp it or something. I can't see it catching on really.

Anyone else see it yet? I'm afraid I can't watch it.

FORT Fogey

I haven't watched it yet, but I also read bad reviews. Gayle King is personable, but there must be at least 1,000 newswomen more qualified than she is. Sorry, I know she started out in local TV, but everything else came courtesy of being Oprah's BFF. She's just a blabbing head with no real insight. If NBC hires Ryan Seacrest to replace Matt Lauer on Today show, I will never watch it again! All these morning show execs must have lost their minds! Too much "entertainment," too little news.
    Debb70 likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast