+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 57 123456789101151 ... LastLast
Like Tree235Likes

Thread: Smash (NBC- Tuesday 10/9 C)

Smash (NBC- Tuesday 10/9 C)

There's nothing more exciting than the opening night of a hit Broadway musical, except maybe what happens getting there. While Wicked and The Lion King pack audiences in on the Great White Way, Julia and Tom, a successful songwriting team played by Debra Messing and Christian Borle, begin work on a new musical based on the life of Marilyn Monroe. When a tenacious producer (Anjelica Houston) jumps aboard, so begins the difficult task of casting the silver screen icon.

Ivy Lynn, a tough Broadway veteran, seems like the obvious choice. But enter Karen Cartwright (Katharine McPhee), a young girl from Iowa with a dream of making it on Broadway who walks in and blows everyone away. So who will get the part and begin a journey that will change their lives? It's an age-old story, but a star just might be born once again.

While everyone is consumed with putting the show together, real life has a tendency of getting in the way. Julia and her husband are in the middle of a complicated adoption; the producer's husband begins divorce proceedings which could threaten the finances of the show; and the brilliant but womanizing director could derail everything if he puts the young star in a compromising position. This will be a rollercoaster ride that culminates on opening night when the audience gets to determine whether or not the show is a smash!

In the era of The Voice and Glee, executive producers Steven Spielberg and Craig Zadan & Neil Meron (producers of Chicago and Hairspray), and songwriters Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman (Hairspray), bring you the blood, sweat, and tears of the making of a Broadway musical.
    Smash - NBC Official Site
    Smash - An Extended Look at Smash - Video - http://www.nbc.com

The show premieres on February 6th, but I couldn't wait any longer to start the show thread! I haven't been this excited about a new show in a very long time. The extended video above has been out for a while now, but there's a new behind-the-scenes one in the article below.

'Smash' Extended Preview: Katharine McPhee & Steven Spielberg Behind The Scenes (VIDEO)
    Last edited by JavaJo; 02-08-2013 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Broadcast day changed
    Cornholio and JavaJo like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Re: Smash (NBC- Mondays 10/9 C)

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post

Smash - NBC Official Site
    Smash - An Extended Look at Smash - Video - http://www.nbc.com

The show premieres on February 6th, but I couldn't wait any longer to start the show thread! I haven't been this excited about a new show in a very long time. The extended video above has been out for a while now, but there's a new behind-the-scenes one in the article below.

'Smash' Extended Preview: Katharine McPhee & Steven Spielberg Behind The Scenes (VIDEO)
    So have I, and I've been watching for the annoucement of the premiere date. I wish it were in January, but I guess it makes sense for it to start during February sweeps and after the football playoffs and super bowl are over. I love musical theater, Debra Messing is so talented and Katherine McPhee has a fantastic Broadway/operatic voice. Angelica Huston makes everything she appears in better.

The problem is that it is on Mondays, opposite Castle and Hawaii Five-0. Recorder will be doing heavy duty on Mondays. NBC does not know how to schedule a promising show.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I'm so excited for this one, too.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

I'm excited, too. I LOVE Megan Hilty! She is just so sweet and gorgeous, and that girl can sing like nobody's business. I saw her quite a few times in Wicked Los Angeles and 9 to 5: The Musical - had the pleasure of meeting her afterwards and she could not have been sweeter. I am so happy she is getting a huge opportunity like this.

I don't really like Kathrine Mcphee so much (I was all about the Soul Patrol. ) but I can't deny that she's got a great voice. And she is looking really fantastic these days!

I love Katherine McPhee and this show seems like a perfect vehicle for her.
    Fortunately, I don't watch Castle or Hawaii 5-0, so I can't wait for this one.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I'm totally on board for this show, can't wait! I really like Katharine McPhee, and the rest of the cast is no shambles either I knew what the show was about going in, but after reading this preview I do have one concern. If all the story truly
    "culminates on opening night when the audience gets to determine whether or not the show is a smash!"
    ....then what? I mean, are we going to get multiple seasons before the show opens (because of course I know I'm going to like it more than one season's worth ), or does season one end with opening night and then.....???? I guess either way we just hope "Smash" the musical has a long and successful Broadway run (with of course plenty of juicy backstage stories!) so "Smash" the TV show has a long and successful TV run!
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

I discovered that the pilot episode is on my Cox On Demand and I watched it a couple of nights ago. I loved it and now have to figure a way to watch and record Castle, Hawaii Five-0 and Smash all at the same time. Thankfully, two of them are available On Demand almost immediately.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    I discovered that the pilot episode is on my Cox On Demand and I watched it a couple of nights ago. I loved it and now have to figure a way to watch and record Castle, Hawaii Five-0 and Smash all at the same time. Thankfully, two of them are available On Demand almost immediately.
    man they just creep cramming any show worth watching on Monday nights..lol..and no I don't mean the Bachelor but I will have to watch this one another way I am not giving up castle
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    Comcast has it too! I never even thought to look, so thanks for posting this! I just hit "play"!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

OMG, I LOVED the first episode! Now I have to wait an additional week to get a new episode!

I like Megan Hilty and she's got a lovely voice, but there's just something about Katharine McPhee. I thought she should have won AI and maybe I'm right since look at where she is - starring in a heavily promoted show on network TV - and look at where Taylor Hicks is - dropped by his record label (I think). I guess if she'd won, her career would be different and she wouldn't have been able to take advantage of the opportunities to act, which I think she's pretty good at.

All in all, I thought the cast was terrific and I liked the pacing. Based on the beginning of the preview at the end of episode 1, it looked like
    Click to see Spoiler:
    they were setting up Karen as the one who gets the part, but then they showed more of Ivy.

I'm a big musical theater fan, but I don't know much about the development stage. Realistically, how long could they have two actresses vying for the same part?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 57 123456789101151 ... LastLast