+ Reply to Thread
Page 56 of 57 FirstFirst ... 6464748495051525354555657 LastLast
Like Tree235Likes

Thread: Smash (NBC- Tuesday 10/9 C)

Re: Smash (NBC- Tuesday 10/9 C)

Quote Originally Posted by echo226 View Post
    I did like the Karen/Ivy song at the end that was talking about giving them your best and leave them wanting more.

So ... I really wish that HBO or SHO would pick up Smash. People just lost interest because it went way off on tangents that were not interesting.

HBO could have spent it's money better on this instead of that "Behind the Candelabra" movie about Liberace and Scott Thorsen which was a waste of money and time.
    Couldn't disagree more, at least re: your assessment of Behind the Candelabra, which was beyond excellent. IMO, nothing Soderbergh does is ever a waste of money OR time. It's criminal that no studio would release the film. As far as we've come with gay rights, that shows how far we haven't come. Anyway, back on topic....

I doubt any network would touch this show now considering how abysmal the ratings were. Plus, I'm sure many of the cast members have already found new gigs.

I enjoyed the finale in spite of Ivy winning. Just NOT a fan.

I read an interview with the showrunner about where season 3 (and season 4) would have gone and it made me wish this show hadn't gone off the rails. It might have been fun. Great concept, but pretty crappy execution.

As for Michael, we haven't seen him in a year. He WAS married with a kid. A lot can happen in a year.
    FireWoman and JavaJo like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Finally watched the final 2 hours. I'm so sad for what eventually happened to this great idea that had such high-profile backing. Live theater needs more exposure than ever as more people retreat to their devices and forget to leave the house. If only this show had spent more time showing what is great, and vital, and necessary about theater as an art form, instead of turning into the cheap Times Square soap opera it became. The scripts became embarrasing by the end. The show may have ended up doing more harm than good, if people walk away the impression that this silliness is what goes on to make a Broadway show happen.

Broadway is filled with discplined, community-minded artists and craftspeople, who are professional enough to avoid 80% of the idiotic situations that these characters found themselves in. The dialogue devolved into a series of theater cliches. How many different characters were wallowing in their own muck to the point where someone had to TALK THEM INTO going to the Tony Awards, because they were a NOMINEE? People with that kind of attitude find themselves fired from shows for cause. And don't get me started on those fake Tony Awards -- cheapest, silliest, worst imitation I've ever seen. They must have completely run out of money by that point. And the last minute switching of numbers and performers for Hit List? Um, no. Lots of other people have control over these things who the show simply pretended didn't exist.

I was at least glad to hear some of the themes about what makes theater so great in Ivy's Tony speech -- at least they remembered for a couple of minutes...

Sigh. I hate to be such a bringer of gloom, but this show had such promise when it started. And then it completely fell apart. But I'll still miss having something like it on TV. Maybe more Glee kids will find their way to NYC, and they will be spun off into a show similar to what Smash could have been. At least we'll be used to the soap opera plots...only with better writing.
    Last edited by MFWalkoff; 05-28-2013 at 03:46 AM.
    Florimel and Debb70 like this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

MFWalkoff, you are so right. Not only did those writers insult the viewers, they lost a valuable opportunity to show a world that few people know about it. I would like to know more, but Smash robbed the audience with it's absurdities. And this is what they came up with when Steven Speilberg gave them a project and said make it work. It boggles the mind.

I wonder what happened to those writers, since public flogging is illegal.

I'm in complete agreement with both MFWalkoff and Debb70 on this. I grew up on Broadway theater, musical and straight play, and I love it and the talented Broadway actors that are at its core. So much could have been done with this show instead of turning it into just another relationship soap opera.

I did enjoy seeing Christine Ebersole and Ron Rifkin in the final episode.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

These are some thoughts on things I wonder about. With all the attempts for Ivy to talk to Derek about her pregnancy, we are robbed at the end of what was said with a short, silent gaze through a glass view of them talking. We waited two hours for that?

And just when I thought they may try to redeem Jimmy, we find out that he's a real lost cause. He ran off on his girlfriend he thought was dying, but is estatic now since he'll only get 6 months to a year in prison. It was surreal and not in a good way. And all Karen could muster was that she was upset that he ruined her evening. lol You gotta love it. It's so crazy.

And please remind me why Daisy was the evil one when it was Dereck who gave her the improper proposal, yet Derek comes out pretty unscathed. Wasn't she the victim of sexual harrassment? I'm confused.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I know Kyle's friends wanted him to win the award as vindication after his death but truthfully, he didn't deserve it. From what I remember, they switched to singing the whole musical because the book Kyle worte for it was so lacking. It's terrible that he died and he did have potential but I don't know that he deserved the award for best writing.

I wish the last show had made Tom look so foolish. His run-in's with the guy on the nominations committee were cringe-worthy. It might have turned out alright if the kiss ended up with the guy being receptive but when he said he wasn't gay, I about died for poor Tom!

I thought the show had already ended so I'm glad I happened to run across it while flipping channels and got to see the last episode. I wish some other network would pick up Smash because I'll miss the characters in it and the songs but truthfully I don't see it happening. The best we can hope for is that Bombshell and Hit List will become real musicals and could come to our area in the future. I would pay to see them, as long as they didn't cost an arm and a leg.

FORT Fogey

i can see bombshell on off broadway

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    These are some thoughts on things I wonder about. With all the attempts for Ivy to talk to Derek about her pregnancy, we are robbed at the end of what was said with a short, silent gaze through a glass view of them talking. We waited two hours for that?

And just when I thought they may try to redeem Jimmy, we find out that he's a real lost cause. He ran off on his girlfriend he thought was dying, but is estatic now since he'll only get 6 months to a year in prison. It was surreal and not in a good way. And all Karen could muster was that she was upset that he ruined her evening. lol You gotta love it. It's so crazy.

And please remind me why Daisy was the evil one when it was Dereck who gave her the improper proposal, yet Derek comes out pretty unscathed. Wasn't she the victim of sexual harrassment? I'm confused.
    Jimmy didn't run off on his girlfriend - it was a girl he had just met. She OD's, he freaked out and ran. At least he is stepping up now. Honestly, I think it was just really crappy writing in trying to tie up the storyline. I feel that there was a lot more going on originally that got cut once they realized the show wasn't getting renewed.

Daisy was in the wrong because she approached Derek, apologized for being involved in the brouhaha from last season, and said that she wasn't being sexually harassed by him. She is the one that actually came on to Derek. Not going to excuse his behavior, but Daisy was no saint and had no issues sleeping with a man to get a role.
    Florimel likes this.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

Critical I thought Michael Douglas was wonderful as Liberace, but didn't think the show had much meat in it and the plot was very loosely woven'. I was also bothered to see Liberace painted in a way that made meso sad. That's all.

Back to Smash ... I SO looked forward to Smash when it was being hyped ... and I saw SUCH potential ... and I am SO disappointed.

What a shame.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

All the things you all said that were wrong with Smash - are true. But I LOVED IT! And I'm really going to miss it a lot. I even loved the soap opera love stories and the weird plot lines and gimmicks. Loved the characters. Loved the music. Loved the dancing --- all of it. Bye Smash!

+ Reply to Thread