+ Reply to Thread
Page 52 of 57 FirstFirst ... 242434445464748495051525354555657 LastLast
Like Tree235Likes

Thread: Smash (NBC- Tuesday 10/9 C)

Re: Smash (NBC- Tuesday 10/9 C)

I thought that it was Kyle's work that was not up to par and that had to be reworked and it was Jimmy's work that was the genius. Recall they had to change Kyle's contribution for it to make it to the stage. Then after Kyle dies, they do a concert as if the songs were Kyle's. Why? They were Jimmy's contribution, right?

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I thought that it was Kyle's work that was not up to par and that had to be reworked and it was Jimmy's work that was the genius. Recall they had to change Kyle's contribution for it to make it to the stage. Then after Kyle dies, they do a concert as if the songs were Kyle's. Why? They were Jimmy's contribution, right?
    I know, I was kind of confused by Kyle's role as well (although I liked him better than Jimmy). I think originally Kyle and Jimmy both worked on the overall idea of hit list, with Jimmy doing the music. When Kyle was asked to script the dialogue for the subsequent scenes, not yet written, I think they found the dialogue boring. So basically, I don't think there is much dialogue at all in the show, just music. But Kyle has been instrumental in re-arranging the scenes (of music) and help mesh everything together to help bring Hit List to what it is today. At least that is my take on it. Jimmy still writes all the music though.

I still like this show and will be sad if it isn't renewed... and I don't think it will And although I've always liked Kat McPhees voice, I will admit she's a little lackluster in the acting role.

I'm not sure what would have helped the show. Better writers would have helped, but I think it went further than that. I think that perhaps Katherine wasn't ready yet. Has she attended acting classes? She may just need some more time and experience.

My recent complaint is that they seem to have manipulated and distorted the characters solely for a quick turn of a storyline. Just when we think Julia has a new start with a good guy, they make him out to be a bad guy by lying about canceling the show on the night of Kyle's death. Now that's over. Why? They also distorted Tom to be at odds with her too. They also have Eileen go ape crazy and throw a drink in Jerry's face for what? He took out an ad for Bombshell that only helped the show. Why so angry Eileen. They seem to do things for odd reasons that hurt rather than help the show.

Quote Originally Posted by maxkl View Post
    I know, I was kind of confused by Kyle's role as well (although I liked him better than Jimmy). I think originally Kyle and Jimmy both worked on the overall idea of hit list, with Jimmy doing the music. When Kyle was asked to script the dialogue for the subsequent scenes, not yet written, I think they found the dialogue boring. So basically, I don't think there is much dialogue at all in the show, just music. But Kyle has been instrumental in re-arranging the scenes (of music) and help mesh everything together to help bring Hit List to what it is today. At least that is my take on it. Jimmy still writes all the music though.

I still like this show and will be sad if it isn't renewed... and I don't think it will And although I've always liked Kat McPhees voice, I will admit she's a little lackluster in the acting role.
    I understood it was Kyle's idea around the songs Jimmy was writing which is what intrigued Karen

Julia worked with Kyle to flush out the book as sort of a part time short term dramaturg.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Thanks for the HIt List plot explanations! You all got more of it than I ever did.

I also was puzzled by what it was that Kyle was good at...because at one point he was being trashed, the next he's suggesting good changes for Bombshell....

I agree, the concert didn't showcase what Kyle did---on the other hand they couldn't do a concert of the things he did, and the Jimmy replacement didn't know the role yet.

I'm not sure what would have helped the show. Better writers would have helped, but I think it went further than that. I think that perhaps Katherine wasn't ready yet. Has she attended acting classes? She may just need some more time and experience.
    I found her character unrealistic as well. When the show started she was this shy, first time shot at broadway actor, and she stayed that way until she was given the Marilyn role. then all of a sudden she is an expert, she is Derek's new bff to whom he listen's to for changes and a new project, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by march View Post
    I found her character unrealistic as well. When the show started she was this shy, first time shot at broadway actor, and she stayed that way until she was given the Marilyn role. then all of a sudden she is an expert, she is Derek's new bff to whom he listen's to for changes and a new project, etc.
    Naw ... not exactly. Derek told Karen to be alert for new things. That was in season One.

Derek does sometimes look to Karen because she IS new, and fresh and as yet, unjaded. If he takes his own view, Ivy's experienced and hardened view, and Karen's fresh view ... it gives him something to chew on.
    Imperfect1 and mesachick like this.

Mohandas Gandhi

I think that Smash's problems include putting too much emphasis on potential. The viewer is asked to believe that potential is more important than skill and experience. Derek picked Karen for Bombshell, even though she had no real experience and because she had such great potential. And we are asked to believe that Kyle was this great writer, but he wasn't. It's really his poential they are addressing. He didn't write anything great really. ANd it seems as if Jimmy is supposed to be an equal to Derek, who is an experienced director. Jimmy has none of that. It's too much too swallow, IMO. I think it's insulting to the viewer and one reason, Smash has not done well with viewers.

I also think that Smash is unrealistic in it's portrayal of Dereck and Karen. Regardless of what the two claim happened behind closed doors, it would appear that Karen has slept her way to the her roles. First she gets the starring role in Bombshell, having no experience because she is the apple of Dereck's eye, and then when Dereck leaves Bombshell and goes to Hit List. Karen leaves too and immediately gets the role in that show. Come on? And they are seen leaving places together arm in arm, spending the night? I don't think the innocent explanation they give would pass muster. She would be frowned upon as sleeping for these roles, not worshipped as this lovely, innocent girl who has just has so much potential.

I also think that Smash is unrealistic in it's portrayal of Dereck and Karen. Regardless of what the two claim happened behind closed doors, it would appear that Karen has slept her way to the her roles. First she gets the starring role in Bombshell, having no experience because she is the apple of Dereck's eye, and then when Dereck leaves Bombshell and goes to Hit List. Karen leaves too and immediately gets the role in that show. Come on? And they are seen leaving places together arm in arm, spending the night? I don't think the innocent explanation they give would pass muster. She would be frowned upon as sleeping for these roles, not worshipped as this lovely, innocent girl who has just has so much potential.
    That is a little tangled,

Karen is the one who "found" Kyle and Jimmy and brought the material to Derek. Derek left Bombshell because of the bad publicity about him and the not good celebrity lead and Karen brought him in to see if Hit List had promise/potential. Karen in the lead was the pivotal reason that Kyle & Jimmy kept writing Hit List. Karen was working on both shows and she was forced by Jerry to choose one or the other. Karen chose Hit List.

Derek just needed a job.

Mohandas Gandhi

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

I think this next episode is the last one. No other episodes are listed in my TIVO guide --- which usually forcasts about two weeks in advance.

+ Reply to Thread