+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 57 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141555 ... LastLast
Like Tree235Likes

Thread: Smash (NBC- Tuesday 10/9 C)

Re: Smash (NBC- Mondays 10/9 C)

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    IThe other girl reminded me more of Marilyn (not necessarily a good thing) in that cutesy/wiggly/breathy/be-boop-de-boop way
    I was thinking the exact same thing, but then it really struck me when the both of them were on the way to the audition: The blonde girl may be Marilyn...but Kat is Norma Jean

I enjoyed this, not as much as I thought I would...but only I think because I had such (probably unrealistic) huge expectations. It definitely is nothing at all like Glee, other than the fact that both shows have musical numbers. But really, it seems as though it's an ensemble drama like many others - it just happens to center around a really unique theme we haven't seen before. Oh, and they sing and dance The cast is great, and I love Broadway, so I'm in for the long haul.
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

FINALLY, an exciting New York musical on TV! FABULOUS!!! LOVED the 'show within a show' storyline combined with the personal lives of the participants, the drama, all of the actors, the music, the choreography --- EVERYTHING! Can't wait for the next episode and to see how the story unfolds!
    Florimel and Fanny Mare like this.

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by Katydyd View Post
    I was thinking the exact same thing, but then it really struck me when the both of them were on the way to the audition: The blonde girl may be Marilyn...but Kat is Norma Jean

haul.
    But the musical is about her later life, not the beginning, it seems so does that mean McPhee is out of luck? Unless somehow it works out that McPhee plays Norma Jean and the other woman plays Marilyn...didn't they have a tv movie like that a while back?
    Uncle David likes this.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    But the musical is about her later life, not the beginning, it seems so does that mean McPhee is out of luck? Unless somehow it works out that McPhee plays Norma Jean and the other woman plays Marilyn...didn't they have a tv movie like that a while back?
    I had the same thought. Aren't they still supposedly in the early stages of the project? It could become a struggle to see whether it's more the story of Norma Jean or Marilyn and thus which actress is best for the part.
    Uncle David likes this.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

I don't remember them saying the play's storyline had to be limited to only being about Marilyn Monroe's late in life years --- CCL, I think you may be confusing this storyline with the current Michelle Williams movie "My Week With Marilyn," and the current Marilyn documentary that is entitled something like "Marilyn's Last Days." In fact, from what I could gather, the actual "play" hadn't even been written --- just some songs and a bare-bones outline.

CCL

I was just thinking because the song they showed was about when she was with Joe DiMaggio and they've only mentioned Marilyn (and, indeed, her end) and not the name Norma Jean. I have no actual idea what the musical will focus on - I was just speculating. Wasn't confusing it with other Marilyn projects because I haven't seen them and don't intend to as I don't particularly like Marilyn Monroe. If Smash becomes too focused on Marilyn I'll just drop it.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

I love this show! love it

UGH. I can't believe they cast Ivy Lynn. It's going to be harder to watch this show now. I know Megan Hilty has a great voice, but I don't find her appealing at all. Plus, sleeping with the director is just wrong and unprofessional....even when he's as hot as Jack Davenport!

I love how scandalized Tom acts in the previews about finding out that Ivy is sleeping with Derek....and then how he thinks Ivy is being taken advantage of. He seems very naive about a lot of things.

Looks like more trouble for Julia's marriage comes next week. BTW - the guy in the preview who is flirting with her is played by Will Chase, the actor Debra Messing is now dating. There were rumors that the relationship began before she split from her husband. Talk about life imitating art or vice versa.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I wasn't too impressed with the first episode of Smash I saw but I watched it last night since there was nothing else on, plus I wanted to give it a few episodes to make up my mind about it, and I did like this second episode better. I really thought they were going to end up hiring both girls, having one be the understudy for the other. It will be interesting to see what happens next. Maybe Ivy will get knocked up by the director and the other girl will be called in to replace her.

I agree that the unknown girl (sorry, I can't remember what her name is on the show! Katherine McPhee anyway) is more like Norma Jean and Ivy is more like Marilyn. They could cast both and have the unknown do the early Marilyn scenes and Ivy do the scenes once she becomes a star.

The guy writing the show reminds me of Roger on 101 Dalmatians. If they ever write a musical on that story, he could play the lead role!

I read an interview that said that the part of Marilyn
    Click to see Spoiler:
    keeps switching back and forth between Ivy and Karen. So they are going to keep us guessing for awhile.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

+ Reply to Thread