+ Reply to Thread
Page 45 of 57 FirstFirst ... 353637383940414243444546474849505152535455 ... LastLast
Like Tree235Likes

Thread: Smash (NBC- Tuesday 10/9 C)

Re: Smash (NBC- Tuesday 10/9 C)

I hope the show keeps going in this direction. I really don't care either way who plays Marilyn but I do like Karen and Jimmy's duets. IMO they should have done something different with Bombshell all season. I haven't liked the trajectory - I'm glad it appears to be changing.

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_Griss View Post
    Is that the song on the bed that was written by the guys that Derek brought in to make the musical more edgy?
    yeah that would be the one.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

I'm glad that Karen The Great, has gone off with Derek the Grinch to create the show with the Baby writers, (the roommates). I could care less what happens to them, so just so they stay in their world and let Ivy and the rest of the cast proced with Bombshell, I'll be happy! lol I loved how that worked out!

See and I hope this means we see less of Bombshell and the songs I'm so sick of. I'd much rather watch Karen and Derek and the new musical. Especially since that means we won't see as much of Julia and Tom, who I've grown to almost loathe. They're SO whiny. I just refuse to believe that successful professionals in that business are quite that inept.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

CCL

I find the premise of the new musical more interesting (even though I don't really know what it is about but it's not about Marilyn, so that's working in its favour) but Bombshell has some good songs. Not that I can think of their names right now but I did download a couple. Haven't felt compelled yet to look if any from the new musical are available for purchase.

Karen and Tom are whiny (more-so Karen). I would follow Derek anywhere (handsome devil that he is) but the new singer-songwriter is rather moody (and not in a sexy, troubled artist way).
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of Jimmy....except when he sings. Jeremy Jordan has a terrific voice. I'm hoping that Derek will knock Jimmy's ego down a few pegs.

I liked some of the Bombshell songs at first, but we've heard them SO many times now. I'm over it. I hated "National Pastime" the second I heard it. UGH.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Well, Tom totally messed over his boyfriend...call the Mormons and tell them you are leaving.... and he hardly even seems to feel bad about it, like that guy's career isn't important. And I can see why the black producer whose name I forget--the one working with Derek--has trouble forgiving Julia...even now she doesn't quite seem to get what she did to his career. So Tom and Julia are perfect for each other--selfcentered as all get out. And I like Debra M., but her character isn't very likeable right now.

Glad Jimmy's friend is suddenly able to move on...a bit abrupt, but hey, have to clear the emotional stages for Jimmy to jump Karen. Not at all clear what Jimmy's friend is doing for the show any more--seemed like they dropped everything he did, except maybe rearrange the song order and tell Jimmy to write some bridging songs. He doesn't even write the lyrics does he? Nice guy, but seems to only have the function of getting Jimmy to succeed.

I am really back to enjoying the show now what with the split of the group in to two different musicals. I am much more interested in the new one with Karen and Jimmy than Bombshell. Derek is just so much more layered and interesting than Tom as a director. good stuff!

PWS - the black director is Scott who is being played by Jesse L Martin. He is probably best known for his stint on Law and Order, but he was also part of the original Broadway cast of Rent. You might notice he has a signed copy of a poster for Rent in his office. I was lucky to see the majority of the original cast when I got to see Rent in London. OMG it was so good! Anyway, I love the addition of his character to the show.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Ah, L & O, that's where I've seen "Scott" before! Thanks!
    mesachick likes this.

One of the entertainment sites has a recapper who always calls JLM "Collins" (his character in Rent) and it always makes me laugh because that's how I always think of him. It would be absolutely criminal if they hired him for this show and then he didn't sing at all. I only have to think about him singing the reprise of "I'll Cover You" and I'm practically in tears.

I felt that way with Brian d'Arcy James (who played Julia's hubby) too. He has an amazing singing voice and you hardly heard it last season. I saw him in The Apple Tree with Kristin Chenoweth probably 6 years ago and he was SO good. It sort of felt like a waste to hire someone with a voice like that on a show like Smash and have him play a non-performer.

I'm enjoying Derek and Karen's storyline MUCH more than the Bombshell stuff. I'm sure it has nothing to do with the obvious charms of Jack Davenport AND the fact that Christian Borle supposedly cheated on the fabulous Sutton Foster when they were married.
    mesachick likes this.

+ Reply to Thread