+ Reply to Thread
Page 44 of 57 FirstFirst ... 343536373839404142434445464748495051525354 ... LastLast
Like Tree235Likes

Thread: Smash (NBC- Tuesday 10/9 C)

Re: Smash (NBC- Tuesday 10/9 C)

The Tonys only award Broadway shows, so The Hit List has to move to Broadway for it to be up for any awards against Bombshell or otherwise. The Drama Desk awards do Broadway and Off-Broadway. I'd imagine that this show wouldn't bother with DD and would aim for the Tonys. It seems like Derek isn't going to be happy until The Hit List is on Broadway.

In show business, no one "deserves" parts. Newbies come in and win Tonys (Hello, Sutton Foster) and longtime Broadway actors work for years and never get a break. That's just the way it goes. I know a lot of posters like Ivy, but I'm just not a fan. She's more tolerable now than she was last season, but she's still one of my least favorite characters on the show.
    sunshine3331 likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Me too. Now what should happen is that, before the end of the season, both Bombshell and Hit List - and Karen and Ivy, of course - will be nominated for Tonys. Karen and Hit List win, putting snotty Tom and Julia in their places and giving Tom a satisfying win.

The longer I hear the songs from Bombshell, the more I hate them. They just feel so retro and not in a good way. "Let Me Be Your Star" is an exception.

They hired Jesse L. Martin. Now they need to have him sing in every episode for the rest of the season. It would be a crime not to.
    The only thing I differ with, Critical, is defining the Bombshell music as retro. Marilyn's time was late 1040's to early 1960's, so why would the show's music reflect that? Of course, I'm more than a little influenced by the fact that I like that music much better than most of today's, particularly when it comes to musical theater.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

But I also said "not in a good way" when calling the music retro. It's not that I think contemporary music would be appropriate. I would expect music for a musical set in that period to be a bit retro by virtue of the fact that it's set in the past. I just happen to think that the music they're using for the show feels like a caricature of music from that era.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Understood, Critical, and I mostly agree with you. I went to a lot of Broadway musicals back then and all of them had songs you could walk out of the theater singing even without a great voice. The melodies and lyrics were easy to learn and remember. I can't think of a song from this show that I absolutely love though there are a few I've liked.
    Imperfect1 likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

They hired Jesse L. Martin. Now they need to have him sing in every episode for the rest of the season. It would be a crime not to.
    I cheered when I had read the casting news. I was worried when the Peter character was introduced that he had been replaced.
    You've got to kiss a few frogs before you find your prince!

I grew up on the classic musicals, so I love them all. The music from Bombshell, like I said, feels more like a caricature of those songs. Admittedly, I'm not a fan of Marilyn Monroe, but the breathy singing thing on this show just drives me insane. I also think "National Pastime" is just really crass.

But I also said "not in a good way" when calling the music retro. It's not that I think contemporary music would be appropriate. I would expect music for a musical set in that period to be a bit retro by virtue of the fact that it's set in the past. I just happen to think that the music they're using for the show feels like a caricature of music from that era.
    I understand what you are saying...just hoping that they DO Not bring Ryan Tedder back
    You've got to kiss a few frogs before you find your prince!

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Critical, I didn't really mean to imply that in real life the longer worker actresses "deserve" to win, just that from a story point of view it would be nice. Thanks for clarifying all the award options. I agree, Derek really wants to be on Broadway...but this show at this stage really seems to me like something that might run off Broadway for a bit and then make a move, no?

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by babymay View Post
    I understand what you are saying...just hoping that they DO Not bring Ryan Tedder back
    Oh! I love Ryan, lol. I have Touch me in rotation on all my playlists (I drive a lot long distances) That is hands down my fave of all the Smash songs! I love Marilyn and thought that take on a musical about her was awesome.. That I would go see.
    mesachick likes this.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

Quote Originally Posted by FireWoman View Post
    Oh! I love Ryan, lol. I have Touch me in rotation on all my playlists (I drive a lot long distances) That is hands down my fave of all the Smash songs! I love Marilyn and thought that take on a musical about her was awesome.. That I would go see.
    Is that the song on the bed that was written by the guys that Derek brought in to make the musical more edgy?
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

+ Reply to Thread