+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 57 FirstFirst 123456789101112131454 ... LastLast
Like Tree235Likes

Thread: Smash (NBC- Tuesday 10/9 C)

FORT Fogey

Re: Smash (NBC- Mondays 10/9 C)

I liked the production values and the fact that they took a big chance by having the majority of music be new an specifically written for the show on Marilyn Monroe that Smash is supposedly developing (and I like that they hired actual Broadway composers--the Hairspray team--to compose the tunes). I thought the baseball number and the song that closed out the episode could easily get some I-tune hits. If they do, it could help the show survive. I also appreciated that they had a number of roles for women that were central to the show. In fact, more often than not, it was the men who were in supporting roles to the women in the pilot. Since I suspect they were looking at women as a significant portion of the viewing audience, that makes sense.

I would agree, though, that the plot points thus far are rather predictable and that there are ways around that I wish they'd taken. The biggest groaner for me was that Debra Messing's character was supposed to be taking a break from show business while she and her husband pursued adopting a second child (their first being a teenage boy who was predictably sullen) and that her husband kept reminding her of that repeatedly as she became more interested in doing the Marilyn musical. I've seen far too many shows where the big conflict for a major female character was work vs. children. Instead of making Debra's character face that conflict--if they had to make anyone face it--why not make her gay male writing partner be the one looking at adoption and his husband be the one with the concern that if he returned to working crazy hours that it would affect their ability to adopt? At least that would be a new angle on an old sawhorse of a conflict. Or have the agreement be that Debra's character's husband was the one who was supposed to be cutting back on hours to facilitate the adoption, only he was backing out on the idea of being Mr. Mom. Why does it have to be the "bad" working mom who's the problem in the adoption, because she won't choose a new baby over a big creative career opportunity(assuming they're looking at adopting a baby--that hasn't been established, so far as I could tell)? Haven't we all seen that plot line enough at this point? If they need secondary plot lines at this point, at least go for something more original. I'm kind of hoping that storyline goes away quickly and that it won't just be the musical that gets in the way--maybe something like Debra's character getting into it with her husband about the adoption being more his idea than hers and admitting that she isn't sure, musical or no musical, if she really wants to go back to being a mommy of a baby when their older son is already a teenager. Not being sure you want to start all over again as the older child is getting ever closer to adulthood doesn't seem like an unusual or unreasonable real life situation to me.

I also find myself rooting for the older, more established Broadway actress who's been waiting ten years for a break too, though at least, thus far, she isn't the "villain" preventing the new, young ingenue from getting the role. She's certainly talented (she ought to be--she's a real life Broadway musical actress) and it's understandable that she could feel frustrated that she had helped sell the musical to backers on a completely voluntary basis only to see her big role possibly slipping away.

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

I lerv me some Katherine McPhee!

I like it! I'll be watching in the future.
    Fanny Mare likes this.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I've been looking forward to this show since seeing the previews but I was disappointed by the first episode I saw. I thought it was ok but I'm not excited to see the next episode. Part of that might be because I'm not a fan of Katherine McPhee. I thought she was ok on American Idol but I didn't love her as much as the judges did.

I didn't like how Marilyn was portrayed by the girls. Marilyn was sexy but always a lady. When the girl in the red dress was bumping and grinding with the guys, I thought that was something Marilyn wouldn't do. She had more class than that.

I'm feeling lukewarm about the cast, the singing and the musical numbers. I hope it improves over the next few episodes or I have a feeling I'm going to be dropping this show very quickly.
    march likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David View Post
    I lerv me some Katherine McPhee!

I like it! I'll be watching in the future.
    Same here, it was good( very good)

FORT Fanatic

I really enjoyed the show last night, I'll be watching again. Although, like others, will have to balance Castle and it. Why couldn't they put it up against the useless Bachelor, I'm very over that show.
    Florimel likes this.

I liked it, but not as much as I thought I would. I'll have to see how it develops.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Fogey

I actually liked it more than I thought I would, because I didn't think I'd like it at all. That said, I'm not sure I'll stick with it, but will watch next week and see where it goes. At first, I thought it was funny to see Debra Messing on a show with another gay best friend. The adoption story line is a throw-away to me, like they had to come up with something to make her character more three-dimensional. I hope McPhee's character doesn't wind up in the choreographer's bed. I love her boyfriend! He was the best part of the show to me.

I enjoyed this show. I put it on a season pass to record. Hopefully it will continue to be as good. I agree about the adoption storyline, I could do without it.

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysVeg View Post
    I I hope McPhee's character doesn't wind up in the choreographer's bed. I love her boyfriend! He was the best part of the show to me.
    I'd totally hop on the director's casting couch but then I love me some Jack Davenport. No, good for her for not going down that route. Her boyfriend was a charmer.
    Is Debra Messing meant to be a stepmom? Because I don't really see otherwise why she and her husband would wait till their first kid was almost eighteen before having another one.
    I actually found McPhee a bit annoying. Something about how she kept raising her hands while she sang. The other girl reminded me more of Marilyn (not necessarily a good thing) in that cutesy/wiggly/breathy/be-boop-de-boop way; I quite liked her despite that.
    I only started watching halfway through the episode because I really don't like Marilyn Monroe. And I cringed when they showed the Marilyn Monroe movie clip. But I liked it enough that I watched the first half hour later on. Seems like it will have some interesting elements.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    I'd totally hop on the director's casting couch but then I love me some Jack Davenport.
    Right?! Commodore Norrington could totally get it.

+ Reply to Thread