+ Reply to Thread
Page 36 of 57 FirstFirst ... 262728293031323334353637383940414243444546 ... LastLast
Like Tree235Likes

Thread: Smash (NBC- Tuesday 10/9 C)

Re: Smash (NBC- Tuesday 10/9 C)

I agree that the show is not as gripping as it was, but I will stick with it and hope it lasts. Any shows that is not "reality tv" and that promotes musical theater is something I'll do my best to support.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    I agree that the show is not as gripping as it was, but I will stick with it and hope it lasts. Any shows that is not "reality tv" and that promotes musical theater is something I'll do my best to support.
    Maybe it was on hiatus too long? I will give it the old college try
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    Maybe it was on hiatus too long? I will give it the old college try
    The hiatus did seem rather long ... and I find the story lines this season more appealing than the Karen, Dev, Ivy thing last season and Debra Messings's marriage problems.

I really like the way the dramaturge's character is being played. In any case, it seems a dramaturge may have gotten involved with this show during the hiatus

I do like Jennifer Hudson but not sure she adds much to the show.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_Griss View Post
    OK. Show of hands. How many think that Derek is going to take the show that Karen's new friends are creating and give it to Jennifer Hudson as her new showcase and totally screw Karen over? (Karen does want it for herself, right?)
    Interesting guess. Since I don't see how Karen can be in both Marilyn and this, seems like a good guess.

CCL

I think Karen was interested in the other show when Bombshell was on hold but, of the two, if she had to pick, she would pick Bombshell. But the other show is still in its infancy (they mentioned it not having a second act) and probably won't be ready until after Bombshell had been on for some time so she could conceivably do both. After all, Derek can apparently direct both Bombshell and The Wiz.

I didn't care for the JFK song at all. I'm here for the dramaturg though...Daniel Sunjata...swoon.

I wouldn't mind them having Ivy be in another show. I guess it would split focus but how long can Ivy and Karen fight over the same role? And I like Ivy and want her to succeed.

Jennifer Hudson, on the other hand, can go. I fast-forward any time she's the focus of a scene.
    mesachick likes this.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

I'm also rather unamused this season. I LOVED this show last season. What has happened? I guess I feel this way because I can only take Karen in small doses. She's so NOT Marilyn that I'm tired of seeing her try, but at this point, I'm just so over it. I wouldn't mind if they just give Ivy something great and let her go with it. She can do most anything, IMO. I can't get enough of her acting and singing.

I'm so not into Jennifer Hudson. I used to like her, but she is just not right or something. I ff through her parts.

I really hope this show can pull it together.
    march, Florimel and Uncle David like this.

Apparently Smash is on death watch. This is just speculation, though fans are in an uproar.

Apparently, Steven Speilburg had high hopes for McPhee on this show. They refused to revamp the show by placing Hilty as the more talented and more believable lead, but continued to push McPhee into the limelight to plenty of unenthusiastic viewers. It's sad if the show folds because they couldn't accept the reality. I'm relieved to know it wasn't just me who couldn't figure it out.

TV Ratings: Smash Continues to Bleed Viewers -- Vulture
    Last edited by Debb70; 02-25-2013 at 04:15 PM.
    march likes this.

I'm sorry to hear that it may soon be gone. Hilty was perfect to win the role of Marilyn both in looks and talent. I hope she'll get another chance soon. I like McPhee's voice, but this was not the role for her, thought she might have been quite good in the two young guys musical. Spielberg usually doesn't make that kind of mistake.
    mesachick likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I think tons of people love Karen and Ivy and that distinction/conflict is one of the main driving forces for viewership--if people love Megan they watch to root her on and vice-versa. I think KatMcPhee is more talented because she has such a beautiful lower register and really incredible vocal nuances (Megan is more of a belter in general albeit a great one) but I respect Megan's incredible voice as well. (on a side note, I think both leads are better than JHudson who is just a belter to me)

The show is really suffering from poor writing. People like conflict and Karen v. Ivy is great but the other storylines are underdeveloped and poorly done--Debra Messing's character is a pathetic waste and her family just disappears randomly, they could not have done a worse job with angelica houston's character or her "criminal" boyfriend (I think its safe to say NONE of us had any idea what was going on there because they didn't flesh out the story at all, just had him pull some money from behind the bar and them hop into bed..then he vanished), derek could carry more focus but they detract from his time by introducing a character we know nothing about and just expect us to be instantly warm and fuzzy while he tries to incorporate it into some adjacent storyline--it is simply a HOT MESS.

The good news is the show gets great bumps from DVR viewership and its in a non-primetime spot...also, the music sales will really help to keep this show going bc thats just bonus income.

This could be such an amazing show if they cleaned up the writing and plot lines, though

FORT Fogey

i too have lost interest. The break also didn't help. They should have made it a successful "bombshell" and move on with a new broadway show, or something like that. I am a fan of Jhud but i am not sure what her role is really.

+ Reply to Thread