+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 57 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 570
Like Tree235Likes

Thread: Smash (NBC- Tuesday 10/9 C)

  1. #221
    FORT Aficionado echo226's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Stuck in the Middle
    Posts
    8,645

    Re: Smash (NBC- Mondays 10/9 C)

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David View Post
    So far Dev has done nothing but rebuke a beautiful woman's advances. Julia, on the other hand, has had a long running affair... etc, etc, etc! And yet, Dev is the dog?!

    Hence my original comment about double standards.
    Uncle D, You may recall that when Karen first met "Archie", she was surprised to find that Archie is a woman, and a very pretty one. Dev never told Karen that and he spent a lot of time with Archie who was portrayed as more business/socially appropriate for Dev. Why would he keep this a secret?
    I think Dev knew he had a bird in the hand (Karen) and Archie was his alternate and giving him something he wasn't getting from Karen ... even if it was only time.
    Why would Archie show up at Dev's apartment and then kiss him without some encouragement to do so? Dev is/has been definitely keeping Karen while he tries out some new stuff. Dev is definitely a dog and Critical was spot on about his pick of Ivy.

    Julia, on the other hand was trying to balance the show and the adoption possibilities, etc. It is obvious that she loves her husband and son and they love her. Michael was some window of escape. She seemed to really love him in a way.

    So, if we are going to talk about double standards ... why if we are more forgiving (in general) of philandering husbands and boyfriends why not forgive a straying wife? It appears her family has.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

    " The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

  2. #222
    FORT Fogey Florimel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5,980

    Re: Smash (NBC- Mondays 10/9 C)

    This show is about so much more for me that who is sleeping with whom. People do stray outside their relationships. It's been that way forever and so it will always be. That is a small factor for me in a good story.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

    http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

  3. #223
    FORT Aficionado echo226's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Stuck in the Middle
    Posts
    8,645

    Re: Smash (NBC- Mondays 10/9 C)

    Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    This show is about so much more for me that who is sleeping with whom. People do stray outside their relationships. It's been that way forever and so it will always be. That is a small factor for me in a good story.
    I agree and I do love this show. BUT ... it's somewhat difficult to avoid discussion when we are becoming involved with the characters ... most of whom ( Dev, Derek, Julia, and Ivy) are sleeping around. I am not certain, but maybe I should include Eileen, Tom and Rebecca too?

    I think they may be trying to illustrate what goes on in "the business" and that those in the business are real people and that is the story.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

    " The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

  4. #224
    Live-Love-Laugh Fanny Mare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    21,990

    Re: Smash (NBC- Mondays 10/9 C)

    Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    This show is about so much more for me that who is sleeping with whom. People do stray outside their relationships. It's been that way forever and so it will always be. That is a small factor for me in a good story.
    I think it is for most people I just dont want to see Karen hurt, and you know she is going to be.

    I have the CD on order, I can't wait!
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

  5. #225
    FORT Fogey causingchaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,823

    Re: Smash (NBC- Mondays 10/9 C)

    I think my problem with the story of this show and why I don't watch it much because aside of who is sleeping with who there isn't a whole lot of story except for catty behavior. They made these affairs prominent parts of the story line. Can't help but look at them.

  6. #226
    FORT Aficionado echo226's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Stuck in the Middle
    Posts
    8,645

    Re: Smash (NBC- Mondays 10/9 C)

    Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos View Post
    I think my problem with the story of this show and why I don't watch it much because aside of who is sleeping with who there isn't a whole lot of story except for catty behavior. They made these affairs prominent parts of the story line. Can't help but look at them.
    They are using the business as the backdrop to these stories rather than it being the main story.

    Do you think that perhaps it's because the people who are enjoying it have some affinity for or connection to "the theater"?
    Or perhaps those not quite satisfied with the story, don't connect or were expecting more about MM ... which I would like to see myself.
    Is the business that esoteric?

    I do notice that they are trying to subtly compare the starlets to Marilyn when she first started. But I think there are only 2 episodes left this season and I don't see how they are going to tie it together.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

    " The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

  7. #227
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5,037

    Re: Smash (NBC- Mondays 10/9 C)

    I love this show. It took awhile, but it's gotten better and better. It and Once Upon a Time are the only non-reality shows I watch.

    This show is smart and creative and mature. If I were an actress or singer, this is exactly the type of show I'd want to be on. And, it's perfectly cast - from the two young singers to the older producer. Finally, the musical scores are phenomenal.

    I adore Anjelica Houston's character and the two young girls - Catherine McPhee and Megan Hilty are AMAZING!!!!
    Last edited by Jexter; 05-07-2012 at 10:47 PM.
    fan*addict likes this.

  8. #228
    FORT Fogey causingchaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,823

    Re: Smash (NBC- Mondays 10/9 C)

    Quote Originally Posted by echo226 View Post
    They are using the business as the backdrop to these stories rather than it being the main story.

    Do you think that perhaps it's because the people who are enjoying it have some affinity for or connection to "the theater"?
    Or perhaps those not quite satisfied with the story, don't connect or were expecting more about MM ... which I would like to see myself.
    Is the business that esoteric?

    I do notice that they are trying to subtly compare the starlets to Marilyn when she first started. But I think there are only 2 episodes left this season and I don't see how they are going to tie it together.
    I have a friend heavily connected to the theater who watches this show and loves it but only because it has Katherine in it and for no other reason. I think he had expected more theater sorts of stuff. When I watch it I see some bad romance show that could have been any other bad romance show. The theater is for the most part meaningless in the show to me with the only story lines revolving now about the romances (watched last night). Could have set the entire thing anywhere where you have a bunch of coworkers and had the same outcomes.

    I like broadway and marilyn and was curious about how they were going to do a show about it. So when I started watching I expected more than who is sleeping with who and why. And last night I just couldn't deal with the whiny behavior of the woman who cheated about the actor coming back which had me channel surfing briefly.
    Uncle David likes this.

  9. #229
    FORT Fogey Maybaybie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    940

    Re: Smash (NBC- Mondays 10/9 C)

    I am really starting to dislike the Julia character. Where does she get off telling Tom it is HIS fault that Micheal Swift came back? Is it even possible for her to look at the situation objectively? Their "Joe" took off and they needed someone immediately who knew the part. Micheal was available. How is Tom being a traitor? It's not HIS fault if Julia can't keep her hands off him. Julia is an adult and her actions are her own- she can't expect to sink the show because she can't control herself around Micheal. Julia, put on your big girl panties (and keep them on!) and deal with it. Geesh....
    Uncle David and mindy384 like this.

  10. #230
    FORT Fogey fan*addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh Pa
    Posts
    3,896

    Re: Smash (NBC- Mondays 10/9 C)

    Quote Originally Posted by Maybaybie View Post
    I am really starting to dislike the Julia character. Where does she get off telling Tom it is HIS fault that Micheal Swift came back? Is it even possible for her to look at the situation objectively? Their "Joe" took off and they needed someone immediately who knew the part. Micheal was available. How is Tom being a traitor? It's not HIS fault if Julia can't keep her hands off him. Julia is an adult and her actions are her own- she can't expect to sink the show because she can't control herself around Micheal. Julia, put on your big girl panties (and keep them on!) and deal with it. Geesh....
    I think Julia feels as though Tom betrayed their "friendship". They have refered to their careers together as a "marriage". When songwriters/playwriters are partnered they are very much "married" to their projects, often calling them their "babies". Maybe they are trying to show that Julia feels betrayed by Tom for not protecting her from Michael knowing how his presence affects her.

    I love this show and all the intertwining of characters. I enjoy the "story" of producing the play as well as the singing. , an I am totally loving the Ivy and Karen friendhsip/hate/struggle.....(I also think Ivy HAS the ring!)

    It will be interesting with the recent events to see if Ivy gives in to Karen as the lead due to her "regret" for sleeping with Dev?
    Last edited by fan*addict; 05-08-2012 at 09:45 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.