+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 57 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
Like Tree235Likes

Thread: Smash (NBC- Tuesday 10/9 C)

Re: Smash (NBC- Mondays 10/9 C)

Well tonight's episode had my head spinning! It seems they covered about 5 different storylines all at once and didn't give each one more than 3 minutes until it was on to the next one. Phew. I think I'm motionsick!

Karen's secret "audition": Uhhhh....that was weird.
    Ellis: Has to go
    Ivy: Not liking her character much. Too snively
    Karen's boyfriend: Wished I could've heard the dialogue- the music at the bar was too loud, so I was sort-of lost on that storyline
    Derek- Liked that he came back to Ivy, even if I don't really like Ivy
    Tom- Nice scenes with his new boyfriend. I thought Tom didn't really like him at first, but he seems to be warming up to him
    Ellis: Has to go (did I say that already?)

Did the actor who plays Eileen's soon-to-be-ex husband change? That confused the heck out of me. I thought it may have been a 1st hubby and maybe #2 is the one she always throws drinks on. Guess not.

Karen's secret "audition": Uhhhh....that was weird.
    Ellis: Has to go
    Ivy: Not liking her character much. Too snively
    Karen's boyfriend: Wished I could've heard the dialogue- the music at the bar was too loud, so I was sort-of lost on that storyline
    Derek- Liked that he came back to Ivy, even if I don't really like Ivy
    Tom- Nice scenes with his new boyfriend. I thought Tom didn't really like him at first, but he seems to be warming up to him
    Karen's audition was very weird. I still dont get it
    Ellis is a troll
    Derek coming back to Ivy , very nice. I loved his argument with Tom!
    I like Toms new boyfriend, although when he was in court, I thought Julia was silly

Yes, but it needs to be repeated He's a troll!

I thought Uma Thurman was joining this cast?
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

The actress playing Eileen's daughter looked SO familiar to me, but I couldn't place her. It's Grace Gummer, one of Meryl Streep's daughters. She looks like her sister Mamie, which is who she reminded me of. Now I know why!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

CCL

As soon as I saw her I knew she must be one of Meryl Streep's daughters. They look so like their mother.

I did not like the song Karen sang.

Joining in the chorus: Ellis is a troll.

Glad the Julia/Joe affair is over though it was a bit random that suddenly he was so into his family whereas previously when Julia would refer to them as a concern he would be dismissive. Nice of him to kiss his wife in front of his just ex-mistress, too. No concern about her feelings.
    Last edited by CCL; 03-27-2012 at 08:01 AM.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

I didn't care for last night's episode. I didn't get what the fuss was about Derek suggesting another song and a new direction for the musical. If they didn't like it, fine. They didn't have to include it in the show. I don't see why they saw it as some kind of betrayal.

Honestly, I didn't think the song fit the musical AT ALL. It had nothing to do with Marilyn and all of the other songs for the musical were more old-fashioned, closer to what Marilyn would have sung in her day. I could never picture Marilyn Monroe singing Touch Me. She wasn't that overtly sexual.

I was happy to see Tom spend some time with his new boyfriend that wasn't awkward. Usually, Tom is always taking phone calls and seems like he doesn't want to be with the guy. They seem to be gelling as a couple now.

I LOVED the new direction for Marilyn with the contemporary interpretation of the starlet's life..the mix of old and new would make a 'smash' (pardon the pun ) hit on Broadway....and I really enjoyed the new number with the freaky mask men, the sexual undertones, the fear...all so exciting. Sort of like phantom of the opera in a different universe. This version is something I would buy a ticket to see!

Not only is Ellis a troll, but what does it say about Eileen that she is listening to him and has promoted him to being her assistant?!
    Florimel likes this.

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

I loved "Touch Me" But then again, I am a huge Ryan Tedder fan.. I felt (and mind you I watched it again and felt this) It was Marilyn, she played to the camera, she was sexual, she did what they told her to do.. and in the end she was a scared, vulnerable, caged animal who was alone in the end, complete with the media photo of it. The song and presentation was a perfect, albeit very modern take with a bit of glam, version of her life in 3.5 min.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Right, but it was totally out of touch with how they were playing her life...they were doing a sequential biography, not a 3.5 min version. And their version was more, how to say, wholesome.

Taken out of context the song was very cool, but I can see why it wouldn't fit the image of the show they had. And bringing in new song writers...of course they would feel betrayed. A lot of work went into that presentation...so clearly the director and producer were considering a major change of direction.

I like Tom's lawyer boyfriend a lot, but I fear Tom's going to be tempted by the straight seeming gay guy in the chorus (Ivy's friend, the black one, don't recall his name). He seemed awfully excited to find out that guy was gay.

I like Kat and Karen, but I didn't like that new number. It was a bit too sleazy for my tastes.

You know, they keep talking about how they need a star for this show. I'm surprised no one on the show has brought up the obvious example (for a person who knows Broadway, as they all do) of Sutton Foster. She was the understudy for Thoroughly Modern Millie and she ended up being given the lead when the original actress dropped out. Sutton went on to win the Tony that year and now she's a huge star on Broadway. Everyone needs that chance to get their foot in the door. I'm not a fan of Ivy Lynn, but I think Karen is a star.

Uma Thurman is coming to the show soon. I wonder if she will be one of the stars they try out as Marilyn. Ick.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread