+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast
Like Tree100Likes

Thread: GCB (Good Christian Belles) on ABC - premieres Sun Mar. 4th

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Re: GCB (Good Christian Belles) on ABC - premieres Sun Mar. 4th

Quote Originally Posted by Longhornfan View Post
    I am not watching this show, but I come here to read the comments trying to gauge how much interest people have in it. Since I don't know who Cricket is, all I can surmise is that she is married to a gay guy, and she is implying that there wasn't even one straight guy in Dallas who could appreciate her drive. And by "her drive", I am assuming that it is her drive for success and not her sex drive? Almost all of the previews for the show that I have seen would indicate that they all have a pretty good sex drive (lol), so I am going with Cricket is very ambitious in pursuing a career.

Anyway, isn't this show supposed to be an over-the-top portrayal of Texas, as in everything is bigger in Texas? And wouldn't that also include the way they are portraying the men of Texas in this show? I am sure that there are many straight Texas men who would be just fine with Cricket's drive for success and would probably even welcome it.
    Well, given that all these women have teenage children I'm assuming it is really the men of Texas 15 years ago. And yes, even in Texas I'd imagine there'd have been at least one attractive socially worthy straight man who'd have appreciated her ambition even then...so clearly over the top. Although maybe fewer in Dallas, Texas than in some other parts of the country...or Texas.
    Yes, she's the one married to the gay guy and yes, I meant her business ambition by drive. She gets her sex drive taken care of via various martial arts and yoga instructors...which almost got her marriage exposed this time, when Charlene went to the same guy and asked for the "same" treatment.

I'm liking this show better with every week.
    Last night I loved the end, how they showed how each couple's marriage is still strong & they're on the same page despite everything not being perfect. That was a nice touch.
    Katydyd likes this.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    I'm liking this show better with every week.
    Last night I loved the end, how they showed how each couple's marriage is still strong & they're on the same page despite everything not being perfect. That was a nice touch.
    Just so you don't feel all alone in liking the show, I like it too. My only quibble is the actress playing Amanda. She can't keep up with the others, they are literally acting circles around her which makes her character so hard to like. Also I don't like the actress playing Cricket, she seems to only have one look (squinty-eyed, steely stare) and it's getting annoying fast.

I like the characters and I think the rest of the actors are doing a great job in their roles. If they would recast those two, I would like the characters even more.

I don't need or want to watch a show where the popular mean-girl in high school is constantly getting paid back for her prior sins, that would be an awful show to watch and just as mean-spirited as what the girl did in high school. I like that this show is a bit different. Amanda is paying for her sins (hello, look what her husband did. You know, the one she stole from another girl). The others have morphed into mean girls but they pay a price every time they "go there". I like that balance.

I think this is a good show and would be a great one with some tweaking. It needs to decide if it is going to have moral lessons and be all serious or if it is going the campy route. I vote for campy, I think these actors excel when they are being outrageous and ridiculous. Just look at the biblical bedroom scene, I was laughing or the ridiculous moment when Sharon made the comment about a fallen woman and a women fell on her. That was priceless.
    Florimel likes this.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I think "mean girls" deserve their comeuppance until they show that they "get it". Everybody should be allowed to change as they mature, and be accepted by reasonably mature people....but that would make for boring TV!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

I just finished the GCB book and am so glad the show isn't following that storyline closely; it's so much more entertaining.
    FireWoman likes this.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

Quote Originally Posted by cantstopwatchin View Post
    I just finished the GCB book and am so glad the show isn't following that storyline closely; it's so much more entertaining.
    I was actually looking over the comments on one of the bookseller sites about the book this morning. For the most part, they were very negative. It is only the people coming into the books after seeing the show who seem to like them. If they ever offer it up as a discount or as a Free Friday selection, lol, then I may check it out.

What did you think of the book? Do you agree with the negative comments?
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

I just like this show. It mindless fluff, but enjoyable.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000 View Post
    I was actually looking over the comments on one of the bookseller sites about the book this morning. For the most part, they were very negative. It is only the people coming into the books after seeing the show who seem to like them. If they ever offer it up as a discount or as a Free Friday selection, lol, then I may check it out.

What did you think of the book? Do you agree with the negative comments?
    I'd agree with just about anything negative written about the book. Sad part was it wasn't until the last 40 pages or so that it picked up and then it was done. I really wish I hadn't spent money to read it; checking it out from the library is definitely the way to go.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar

HILARIOUS last night when Carleen found her son on the couch!!

Loved Amanda as Farrah. I like how she knows that Cricket's husband is gay.

I enjoy this show - very campy - sorta like when Desperate Housewives first started - very over the top. But I like it.
    Katydyd likes this.

Annie Potts (Gigi) looks so much better with her wig... That short plain hair was not becoming on her!

I liked that episode too.... Interesting Cricket would try to sabatoge even her own BFF/husband tho.....

+ Reply to Thread