+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast
Like Tree100Likes

Thread: GCB (Good Christian Belles) on ABC - premieres Sun Mar. 4th

Re: GCB (Good Christian Belles) on ABC - premieres Sun Mar. 4th

Quote Originally Posted by PA Snow Bunny View Post
    I gave this show 2 weeks & I removed it from my dvr. I absolutely love Kristen C. & it is awesome that we get to hear her incredible voice every week. I can not tolerate the actress & the character Amanda. Sorry but you can't change a lepoard into a zebra by chainging spots for stripes. Sure...she lived in a mansion in California but she was so humble she wants you to believe she bought her kids clothing in Wal Mart while living there & her now dead husband (who drove a Porsche). Yea right...sure...she & her kids didn't have designer clothing. Give me a break!
    Give us PanAm back!
    For what it's worth, I didn't have the impression that she shopped at Wal-Mart while she was in California. I thought she was just trying to live within her means, now that she didn't have money, rather than having her mother support them.
    Florimel, Critical and nanarama like this.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Hard to believe the kids would need a lot of new clothes..the climate in LA and Dallas is not all that different except for the humidity.

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    Hard to believe the kids would need a lot of new clothes..the climate in LA and Dallas is not all that different except for the humidity.
    Maybe they grew?
    Miss_Griss and Fanny Mare like this.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

In a month or two? Certainly not the girl.

In a month or two? Certainly not the girl.
    When a teenager hits a growth spurt, their clothing fits perfectly one day and might not fit at all the next. My middle son grew 6 inches over one summer. I was thankful it happened during shorts season or I would have been broke trying to keep him in jeans. Buying the shoes during that time was expensive enough. My brother has complained about the same thing with his four daughters.

Although I doubt a growth spurt is why they bought the kids new clothing. It's just part of the storyline between the elder mother and daughter, to show the audience watching how much she is trying to change and trying to live within her means.
    Florimel and Fanny Mare like this.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

I was under the impression that the now dead Hubby was running a Ponzi like scheme and the bank seized all their things. Thus why she HAD to go home and needed to buy new things on a budget... and forcing he humbleness and need to reflect on her life as it was now.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

Also, I think she was trying to help them fit in by buying them clothing that was more in line with what the kids were wearing there. Because they'd lost all of their money, that meant shopping at the show's version of Walmart.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo View Post
    When a teenager hits a growth spurt, their clothing fits perfectly one day and might not fit at all the next. My middle son grew 6 inches over one summer. I was thankful it happened during shorts season or I would have been broke trying to keep him in jeans. Buying the shoes during that time was expensive enough. My brother has complained about the same thing with his four daughters.

Although I doubt a growth spurt is why they bought the kids new clothing. It's just part of the storyline between the elder mother and daughter, to show the audience watching how much she is trying to change and trying to live within her means.
    I agree, but the girl is in high school---for most girls they've finished growing by then (not all, I know) and are way past the spurt.

But I agree, story line driven. And true, kids in different areas wear different things even with similar climates. I changed schools a lot growing up, and whenever possible we never shopped for school clothes without scouting what was being worn locally. One time I remember scoping out what was being worn on the local version of that teen dance/music show that Dick Clark used to host back (way back) in the day.

I'm glad Cricket's marriage didn't get exposed...and glad they talked things over. But sad that in her part of the woods there were no straight guys who could appreciate her drive. Doesn't say a lot about Texas...

I'm glad Cricket's marriage didn't get exposed...and glad they talked things over. But sad that in her part of the woods there were no straight guys who could appreciate her drive. Doesn't say a lot about Texas...
    I am not watching this show, but I come here to read the comments trying to gauge how much interest people have in it. Since I don't know who Cricket is, all I can surmise is that she is married to a gay guy, and she is implying that there wasn't even one straight guy in Dallas who could appreciate her drive. And by "her drive", I am assuming that it is her drive for success and not her sex drive? Almost all of the previews for the show that I have seen would indicate that they all have a pretty good sex drive (lol), so I am going with Cricket is very ambitious in pursuing a career.

Anyway, isn't this show supposed to be an over-the-top portrayal of Texas, as in everything is bigger in Texas? And wouldn't that also include the way they are portraying the men of Texas in this show? I am sure that there are many straight Texas men who would be just fine with Cricket's drive for success and would probably even welcome it.
    Last edited by Longhornfan; 03-19-2012 at 12:25 PM.

I agree, but the girl is in high school---for most girls they've finished growing by then (not all, I know) and are way past the spurt.

But I agree, story line driven. And true, kids in different areas wear different things even with similar climates. I changed schools a lot growing up, and whenever possible we never shopped for school clothes without scouting what was being worn locally. One time I remember scoping out what was being worn on the local version of that teen dance/music show that Dick Clark used to host back (way back) in the day.

I sure didn't, especially between about 13 and 16. I went from about 5'5" to 5'9" and from about a size 5 to a 12.

Maybe she just wanted her kids to have new clothes when they started school, like they would have before their dad died and they lost everything.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread