+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
Like Tree102Likes

Thread: GCB (Good Christian Belles) on ABC - premieres Sun Mar. 4th

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: GCB (Good Christian Belles) on ABC - premieres Sun Mar. 4th

She's got to have that "the higher the hair the closer to God" style. It is Texas, after all.....where everything IS bigger! I never realized the truth in that statement until I spent some time there. They Are Serious!
    Poppy Fields likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_angel View Post
    I thought so too. She looked older and kind of leathery. It was not flattering to her.

Overall, I liked it. I will give it another go for sure.
    I thought she looked bad, but I assumed that she was supposed to look like someone who was wearing too much makeup.

I wasn't crazy about it. I'm not sure I want to waste more time on it, but I love all the actors so much that I may give it one more chance. We'll see.
    Last edited by Miss_Griss; 03-07-2012 at 02:29 AM. Reason: More to say
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

In my "neck of the woods", we have 2-liter soft drinks. Imagine my shock when I went to the Texas Albertson's and all I saw were 3-liter sizes!!! Texas was quite an interesting cultural experience. I still haven't seen a 3-liter soft drink here!!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I'd never be able to lift and pour a 3 L bottle. KC is a month younger than me. If you guys all think she looks old I hope you never see a photo of me. My daughter is 14 and she didn't think she would want to watch it with me but she loved Leslie Bibb on Popular so she decided to watch with me On Demand last night. She kept checking the time line and saying 'oh there is only ___ minutes left' as soon as it ended she was wishing we had another episode to watch. I don't consider it a comedy per se but a light drama. I may look for the books (although the opening car accident scene made me feel I had already read the story)....I guess it is a common theme.
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

PWS
    FORT Fogey

It's not so much that she looks old, as she looks a lot older than the last time I saw her (which was only a year or two ago!), and certainly older than the women who are in her supposed high school class. Not a good match.

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    It's not so much that she looks old, as she looks a lot older than the last time I saw her (which was only a year or two ago!), and certainly older than the women who are in her supposed high school class. Not a good match.
    Yes, I agree, and that's what I meant by my original comment. She looks a lot older than she did in Purhing Daisies. However, she is a wonderful, operatically trained singer, and I believe they are going to make use of that.
    Fanny Mare likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    As a real live religious Church going woman, I wasn't the least bit offended by the religious references in the show. I thought it just brought more humor to the show. I don't think they are making fun of religion, church, or Christianity at all.
    What they are making fun of is the hypocricy of many church going people who wear their religion like a badge of honor, while acting completely the opposite.
    Trust me. I know plenty of those.
    I totally agree. I was raised in a Southern Baptist church that was(is) located in the heart of the Bible Belt and I found this show to be hilarious. They aren't making fun fo Christianity but the sterotypes of gossipy women that you can find in any church, workplace, sorority etc. And trust me, I know women who are exactly like these women, maybe not as extreme but still .........As for the people who are offended and complaining, maybe the show is hitting a little too close to home

Kristin Chenoweth is very open about her own Christianity - she got her start singing gospel. The conservative Christian character that Sarah Paulson played on Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip was based on her. I doubt she'd be involved in this show if she thought it trashed Christians.

I find that so many of the people who are up in arms or who protest shows like this haven't actually seen them. They're just so ready for an insult that they react before they think or educate themselves. The show is about the hypocrisy of people who go to church and think that alone makes them good Christians. I think we ALL know people like that.

For now, I'll keep watching the show. I like most of the cast, so I hope it improves. It's a bit ham-fisted with the attempts to be scandalous, but that might change.
    JavaJo likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I thought the premiere was funny, and it showed promise for being a show that could last a while.

And I think they made Kristin look older and leathery on purpose -- stress lines certainly suit her character. If anything, I thought she was doing a dead-on impersonation of Tamra from Real Housewives of OC!

I've been a devoted DH fan for 8 seasons, and I can see ABC is lining this up (along with a couple of new shows to come) to be a successor. I could watch this if it keeps the same snarky tone that it had in the pilot.

And I don't think this show is mocking Christianity. I think everyone should be able to laugh at themselves. I laughed at Will & Grace in spite of the fact that it didn't always present gays (or New Yorkers) in the best light. GCB mocks mean girls, and the affluent, and people who cling to social cliques and judge others. But I have no problem with that.

Maybe the show could have changed its name to save itself from a lot of hasty reactions from Christian advocates who have already spoken out against it, whether or not they actually watched the show.
    cantstopwatchin likes this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

PWS
    FORT Fogey

You might be right about that leathery tense look being on purpose--it does suit the character. Hope so!

+ Reply to Thread